• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I haven't seen it, but cricinfo says this, which I'm sure is nonsense as I've never heard of Umpire's Call on no-ball.

That's not how it's ever worked before, right?
Sounds like a bunch of commie gobbilty gook to me.

This actually makes no sense at all.

Meridio

International Regular
I haven't seen it, but cricinfo says this, which I'm sure is nonsense as I've never heard of Umpire's Call on no-ball.

That's not how it's ever worked before, right?
Yeah Richardson was dribbling on about that on comms too - has never been a part of the no-ball review, and given that umpires seem to have given up on calling them to start with, I don't see how it could be.

SeamUp

International Coach
Nah, he didn't. He comfortably left most he faced. Should have played his natural game, mind.
It was testing and you could feel the pressure on him.

A few tentative pokes, a pull that wasn't their to pull and also and chasing the wide one and you just felt SA fancied hitting that front dog with the in-swinger.

It was working over of patience and skill I felt.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor update: Low grade tear in right calf. Could return to bat if needed. Not yet sure of his status for the rest of the series
Makes it less likely rather than more that he'll bat again this match then, as there's a chance he'll be ok for one or two of the other tests provided that he doesn't injure it more this game.

Annoying, cos even coming out and hanging around for a partnership of 30-40 here could make a huge difference to NZ's position in the match.

vandem

International 12th Man
Think we've been a bit too passive this morning - while I certainly don't want to jump on the #intent bandwagon, we've just let SA bowl where they want to. Building up a lot of pressure on ourselves, such that when we do have something slightly loose, we're missing out on runs.
I think Kane is looking for 400+, means he needs to bat until tea, and is hoping that his teammates can bat well enough and keep him company.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
It was testing and you could feel the pressure on him.

A few tentative pokes, a pull that wasn't their to pull and also and chasing the wide one and you just felt SA fancied hitting that front dog with the in-swinger.

It was working over of patience and skill I felt.
Inclined to agree with that actually, because his dismissal did feel inevitable.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Kane is looking for 400+, means he needs to bat until tea, and is hoping that his teammates can bat well enough and keep him company.
Definitely.

Also concerted effort not to chop anything on from outside off stump so remained patient as he got few full balls , short balls or leg side balls.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Based on this, posted elsewhere, provided the foot actually is grounded there (can't be 100% sure from the photo), the umpire was technically and pedantically correct to not call the Neesham one a no-ball.

And as we all know, pedantically correct is the best type of correct :happy:.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those who haven't seen the Neesham wicket:

View attachment 23226
You know, maybe I'm just a pleb but I always thought it would be more intuitive to call no balls based on where the heel lands when it does actually land given Morne did slip forward a bit before he delivered the ball.

Looks a no-ball anyway, but still.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So in summary on the questionable no-ball, it comes down to the nanosecond at which the foot contacted the ground and whether the heel was behind the line right then, all of which happened between camera frames, and so it's pretty much an impossible decision for an umpire to make.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
You know, maybe I'm just a pleb but I always thought it would be more intuitive to call no balls based on where the heel lands when it does actually land given Morne did slip forward a bit before he delivered the ball.

Looks a no-ball anyway, but still.
Some spinners don't even ground their heel do they?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, after taking forever to get off the mark this morning, Kaneh has breezed along since his first scoring shot. Vital century.

Meridio

International Regular
So in summary on the questionable no-ball, it comes down to the nanosecond at which the foot contacted the ground and whether the heel was behind the line right then, all of which happened between camera frames, and so it's pretty much an impossible decision for an umpire to make.
Yeah impossible to tell when the front spike actually touches the ground. Think Neesham can consider himself unlucky though.