• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes well done South Africa - the better all-round team over the course of the series.

Also, rubbish turnout in this thread today - where were you all?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Good close series. Wasn't impressed with durminy and our death bowling. Other issues were batsmen getting in and giving it away.

Also please make faf odi captain. AB is clueless when the captain isn't going his way.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand set to retain Tom Latham and Luke Ronchi as wicketkeeping options for Champions Trophy | Stuff.co.nz

"Both Tom and Luke are very likely to be involved in the Champions Trophy. The tri-series in Ireland [prior to the tournament] will be critical for us in terms of getting a pecking order there and a final balance to side."

Can someone with an investigative journalism ability please find out what Luke Ronchi is doing to stay in this side. Because it's not performance based. Averages nothing at 7, not only keeps his spot but is promoted to 5.

I'm sure Hesson would say something like the CT is not a place to take an untested keeper. Despite the fact that a) a tournament like that is not a place to take a guy whose averaged 10 for the last two years and b) it's not particularly a big tournament at all.

Blain

U19 Captain
I hate to say it, but Hess seems a bit close to certain players, as a mate rather than a coach. It's the only reason I can see why Ronchi is still there. Other than "experience," which amounts to nothing when you aren't doing 50% of your job, which is scoring runs.

He's given Luke 2 years of rubbish to come through his drought, but wouldn't blink twice to drop someone like Neesham, despite being one of the more consistent run makers in the middle order over the last couple months.

And now he's backed us into a corner by not giving someone like Blundell, Phillips or Seifert an actual chance to cementing a spot in the side. Surely 1 of these guys can average more than 11.

And then there is Brownlie, I still think his selection has wasted an opportunity to get Worker in the side.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yep. The CT is a worthy thing to set your plans around. Otherwise you just JAMODIing it for 3 and a half years.

But that is if things go smoothly, or relatively.

The CT is definitely NOT important enough that you spend half year, or longer, hanging on to people who need to be moved on. It's a relatively minor tournament.

This is all such a waste of time.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
And keeping with the theme of my thoughts above.

I was happy to see Brownlie back. It was 50-50 for me between him and Worker.

But now, 20s and 30s aren't good enough when your opening. It's time for Worker's turn.

But they won't, because it would disrupt the CT plans.

Again, this will be about 4 months wasted.

It's just not that important.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I thought there might be another ODI series snuck in between now and June for some more squad testing, but it's really just the warmup tri-series in Ireland for which they'll just take the CT squad.

There's still absolutely no way Ronchi should be going. Take Latham to open in place of Brownlie if it's swinging/seaming, and take <aggressive keeper-batsman debutant> as an alternative to bat down the order if we're playing on 350 vs 350 roads. Agree with the comments that there shouldn't be any stigma in taking a debutant to the CT, as it's not such a big tournament and the incumbent is hopeless.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I thought there might be another ODI series snuck in between now and June for some more squad testing, but it's really just the warmup tri-series in Ireland for which they'll just take the CT squad.
Actually, this wasn't right and in fact we'll be sans IPL players, so they'll be forced to take some extra players over. Can an IPL team please call up Ronchi between now and then?

Flem274*

123/5
i can't even remember who won the champions trophy last time. i know we won it once, long ago. throw blundell or whoever in there.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So apparently Dunedin wicket is green at the moment, is that normal? What do you guys think the Dunedin wicket will play like... will NZ curate a slower, turning wicket for SA?

SeamUp

International Coach
Hopefully the rain stays away unlike our last test in Dunedin (Saturday and Sunday look in for a bit of trouble) . It will help possibly for swing as well if it isn't too cold and wet.

But it does look a lovely little oval when the sun is out. In fact I love watching test cricket on these sorts of grounds in New Zealand.

Beautiful.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully the rain stays away unlike our last test in Dunedin (Saturday and Sunday look in for a bit of trouble) . It will help possibly for swing as well if it isn't too cold and wet.

But it does look a lovely little oval when the sun is out. In fact I love watching test cricket on these sorts of grounds in New Zealand.

Beautiful.
That was potentially an interesting Test that one (presuming 2012 was the last one SA were involved in there). Was there, we were 250-5 chasing 410 odd I think on the final day, with Brendon and Ross well set. Could've been 270 all out but it would've been nice to find out. Dunedin gets a bum rap for how much rain they get, I think from memory it's less than most of the other metropolitan centres.

The pitch won't be green, I feel pretty confident about that. Was dead in 2012 for SA, was dead in 2013 for England, I know it's a new groundsman but I expect it to be nothing exciting for the seamers again.

SeamUp

International Coach
That was potentially an interesting Test that one (presuming 2012 was the last one SA were involved in there). Was there, we were 250-5 chasing 410 odd I think on the final day, with Brendon and Ross well set. Could've been 270 all out but it would've been nice to find out. Dunedin gets a bum rap for how much rain they get, I think from memory it's less than most of the other metropolitan centres.

The pitch won't be green, I feel pretty confident about that. Was dead in 2012 for SA, was dead in 2013 for England, I know it's a new groundsman but I expect it to be nothing exciting for the seamers again.
Not quite but close : 1st Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Dunedin, Mar 7-11, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I just remember the wicket being really slow and there was some movement in the first innings but it was doing it slowly but I think both sides batted poorly in the first innings. As the game went on , the wicket just got too flat as there was no sideways movement or spin and an easy pace pitch with no real up-and-down bounce.

I heard Cumming talking about a new curator as well like you say and turning pitches ? If so I wouldn't mind that if they not going to leave grass on.

Last edited: