• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Howsie

International Captain
Yes Santner's ODI batting record averaging 27 with a SR of 90 is a little flattering & misleading. First the average is helped with a high number of not outs & secondly, a SR of 90 probably isn't good enough considering he typically comes in at number 7-8.

Personally I'd always bat CDG ahead of him assuming he plays.
I hope you give him a pass from all the times he's gotten out playing attacking cricket shots in the last 10 overs then if you're not willing to give him his not outs. Can't work both ways

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Sodhi sewn up a county contract for 2017 yet? Considering Jeets is damn near the MVP in division one, not sure why Sodhi's finding no room at the inn.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope you give him a pass from all the times he's gotten out playing attacking cricket shots in the last 10 overs then if you're not willing to give him his not outs. Can't work both ways
Couldn't care less whether he's not out or not tbh, just pointing out it inflates his average. Just think in 2017 you want your number 7 scoring in excess of a 100 SR, less than a run a ball just doesn't cut it & plays into the oppositions hands.

CDG averages 33 with a SR of 109 in comparison (admittedly a little flattering itself with some Bangers bashing).

Zinzan

Has Sodhi sewn up a county contract for 2017 yet? Considering Jeets is damn near the MVP in division one, not sure why Sodhi's finding no room at the inn.
What Jeets does at county cricket level is kind of irrelevant considering he got his Test comeback chance in India on wickets that provided assistance, and was merely 'ordinary', taking 6 wickets in 2 tests @ an average of 50.

I do think his experience in those conditions is important for the upcoming champions trophy tournament, but can we stop this myth that Patel's this new genuine threat in Tests & bowling in general on the back of some good seasons for Warwickshire, when frankly he looked pretty much the same Test bowler as he did 5 years ago in that latest display in India.

It's funny that you rightly spot the gap between FC and Test level when it comes to players like Munro, but you think it's so different when it comes to Patel and county cricket.

While there's some good players on the county circuit, overall the level of cricket isn't all that much better than NZ domestic level, simply because there's far too many teams, diluting the good talent that is around.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
He wouldn't be too far away I'd say. Let's just hope whoever signs him up juices their pitches up like Warks do for Patel.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still going with 'never ever again' for Guptill as a test opener, but would consider him for the number 5 spot, especially as he's in such good form. There's Broom, Brownlie, Munro, Nicholls all hanging around and it's hard to make a case that any of those are more likely to score runs than Guptill. So then it depends if you want to give someone younger like Bruce a chance first.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Martin Guptill got 'good crack' at top of test order and middle-order switch may be answer | Stuff.co.nz

"Martin and I have talked about test cricket a lot and we certainly gave batting at top of order fairly good crack," Hesson said.
"Batting him in the middle-order is something we are keen to explore at first-class level first and Martin and Auckland Cricket have certainly been receptive to that.
"At the moment it's difficult to find a spot for him. Our test team have just won four on the bounce and the middle-order is performing pretty well."

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Champions Trophy in June , will they play more than 1 spinner in England in June?

Won't be taking 3 spinners.

Zinzan

Really don't see the point in that. It's Guptill, he'll flippin' murder them. Really either Hesson thinks Guptill could make it as a 5, or he doesn't. I think there's very little to be learned from him going back to the Plunket Shield.
Yeppers, dude carves it up opening at Plunket level, does McHesson think number 4-5 will be tougher?

Likely a PR thing to appease those claiming Gup gets more chances than others. Might as well just be honest and say they're backing his extraordinary ability to 'see ball - hit ball' facing international bowlers.

viriya

International Captain
Guptill first to 3 180+ knocks in ODIs.. impressive.

I'm a fan of him trying out in the middle order in Tests.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Really don't see the point in that. It's Guptill, he'll flippin' murder them. Really either Hesson thinks Guptill could make it as a 5, or he doesn't. I think there's very little to be learned from him going back to the Plunket Shield.
This. Hesson is starting to get on my nerves.

Mike5181

International Captain
I think they've been focusing on giving guys a proper run in the side. And that's great... to a point. But in the last two or so years they've definitely gone too far at times.

A problem selectors seem to have is when a player is dropped that becomes a black mark against their record as a selector because they picked him in the first place or they persisted with him for too long. Ronchi's averaged 10 in the last two years, and we lose nothing if we go elsewhere, but he'll never be able to vindicate their decision to continually select him if he's dropped. So they pick him again. Just one more game, or one more series. To the point where it's like, yeah, there's no way you still think this is the best guy for the job.

Similarly, Henry 'averages 32 for Canterbury' Nicholls should have been dropped before the Bangladesh series. But now you can't justifiably do so because, despite there being better options available (Munro, Guptill, Bruce), he went and scored runs against them.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
I'm still expecting South Africa to win this series. They are one of the few sides that has that x factor about them. New Zealand will be up for it. It could still go either way though. It has been a great series. The test series looks far more interesting since South Africa's pace attack looks lethal. Amla just hasn't been the same anymore. He was so classy up and till that triple 100 he scored in England. New Zealand have become a formidable side. Have improved leaps and bounds under their coach. I remember New Zealand always sitting in the lower end of the ranking table just above the West Indies in all forms, and now they are ranked one of the highest in World Cricket. They have been an inspiration. Not only that, but they do not have the spinner that can be considered of world class quality, yet they can now win a lot of games even in Asia.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The wicketkeeping thing is an absolute debacle and needs to be clarified ASAP. Going back to a 35 year old time after time when he averages 10 since his last meaningful contribution pre World Cup two years ago, is pretty diabolical. Fair enough they tried Latham and failed, I have no issue with that - a lot of us were comfortable with that. But if it's not Tom's time, it's the other Tom's time - seeing they picked Blundell for the CH. Holding onto Ronchi on the basis he might provide some level of experience for the Champions Trophy, I mean that's all it can be. We're going to hold up the development of our next keeper for some pseudo big tournament, even though the incumbent now is old, absolutely of no use with the bat and has no proven history of doing anything in big tournaments.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The wicketkeeping thing is an absolute debacle and needs to be clarified ASAP. Going back to a 35 year old time after time when he averages 10 since his last meaningful contribution pre World Cup two years ago, is pretty diabolical. Fair enough they tried Latham and failed, I have no issue with that - a lot of us were comfortable with that. But if it's not Tom's time, it's the other Tom's time - seeing they picked Blundell for the CH. Holding onto Ronchi on the basis he might provide some level of experience for the Champions Trophy, I mean that's all it can be. We're going to hold up the development of our next keeper for some pseudo big tournament, even though the incumbent now is old, absolutely of no use with the bat and has no proven history of doing anything in big tournaments.
Also makes me wonder if, like Howsie, they quietly don't really rate Blundell that highly and are hoping one of Phillips or Seifert does enough to leapfrog him.

IMO we'd be hard pressed to get a lower output from Blundell right now than Ronchi anyway*, so should just give Blundell a chance and if someone else overtakes him later, fine.

* though I do prefer Ronchi at 5 to Ronchi at 7, slightly.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Test squad:
Kane Williamson (c), Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Jeetan Patel, Tom Latham, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Jeet Raval, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling

Neesham and Jeets back. Nicholls and CDG retained. Brownlie and Henry miss out.