• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He's injured for the season after his knee got stuck in wet turf in the T20 competition remember
Forgot about that. So probably Henry, possibly Ferguson but if they want a left arm replacement for a left arm seamer they might go Wheeler. Or, we might see Bennett getting a surprise recall.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
No wonder the players weren't all that keen to play yesterday if this occurred recently.
Yeah I don't blame the players one bit for not wanting to play in Napier if it was still squelchy in spots. Sounds like the ground-staff did what they could, so the responsiblity is purely on the board managing the ground afaics.

Ed Nuttall, another young fast bowler, is also out for the season after diving in the outfield in a domestic T20 (though I don't know if ground condition played a part), so that risk would definitely would be in the NZ players' minds.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should hopefully only miss one Test then. Really don't have a lot of faith in Henry at the moment. Who else is an option for 3rd seamer?
I hate Henry's Test lengths, I'd honestly prefer a bolter, even if it was a Ferguson. (Hears a big sigh from Bahnz...)

Howsie

International Captain
Zak Gibson?

Really it should just be Kuggs but NZC won't man up and back their man.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zak Gibson?

Really it should just be Kuggs but NZC won't man up and back their man.
Nah Kuggs needs to be cleared in this trial before getting anywhere near national selection, & tbf he did make himself unavailable in the meantime.

Marius

International Debutant
Are you guys expecting NZ to make any big changes to the Test side (I know Wagner's probably out, but apart from him).

SA will likely stick to the same XI that played against SL, with only Maharaj perhaps coming in for Olivier, depending on conditions.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon NZ should go with the bowling unit hendrix suggested - boult, ferguson/milne, wagner, santner, anderson/neesham

and i reckon we should pick tom bruce at #5

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Are you guys expecting NZ to make any big changes to the Test side (I know Wagner's probably out, but apart from him).

SA will likely stick to the same XI that played against SL, with only Maharaj perhaps coming in for Olivier, depending on conditions.
Will be no changes except the injury enforced.

Horribly out of form, played 2 games of red-ball in 6 months, probably not suited to 3rd seamer, Matt Henry will come in for Wags.

Consistency of selection is a good thing, but sometimes not.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Both Nicholls at 5 and De Grandhomme at 6 are under significant pressure to retain their spots, so if either fails in the first test we could perhaps see a change for the second. There are several others that could come in; of these Neesham has been batting well so imo should be the first up (and as bad as his bowling is, it's still better than not having that option). Find it especially hard to see De Grandhomme scoring runs, his bowling is handy in NZ conditions but at 6 the primary job is scoring runs. Other names for the middle order - Brownlie, Broom, Bruce, Anderson, Munro, and I've probably forgotten a couple more.

SA will be licking their lips as soon as NZ are three down this series.

91Jmay

International Coach
Reckon SA bowling attack will take to NZ like ducks to water. Feeling a Saffer whitewash in the Tests.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon SA bowling attack will take to NZ like ducks to water. Feeling a Saffer whitewash in the Tests.
It about how our batting copes with Boult and Southee, not sure our batting is stronger. Maybe QDK at 7 continues to be the difference? Think we are much stronger in the 3rd/4th seamer department, Abbott would have assured it but, oh well!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It about how our batting copes with Boult and Southee, not sure our batting is stronger. Maybe QDK at 7 continues to be the difference? Think we are much stronger in the 3rd/4th seamer department, Abbott would have assured it but, oh well!
Southee isn't a threat, Wagner would have been but probably isn't fit. And your batting is absolutely miles ahead. Yes Kane is world class at his peak but he's not in great touch, Ross is - we'll really rely on him. Our openers are in awful nick, and 5 down is a bit of a ****storm.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Don't think it'll be a white wash. There will be some decent partnership between two of Latham, Kane, Taylor and Watling somewhere to save us a match - maybe even get us a win.

Blain

U19 Captain
This could be the test series that highlights the problems Boult and Southee have been having the past couple seasons. If we can't strike with the new ball, could be big trouble.

I'd back Lockie if Wags is out, we'll need a point of difference, Henry has no form. And enough of the CDG experiment, we need Neesham back for his relative solidity with the bat. A couple quick fire 20's won't mean jack against the Saffers.