Page 3 of 238 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1069Likes

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Raval and CdG will struggle against the seamers. Latham can go either way and Ross really is due to rectify his record vs SA. Kane will be fine and Watling seems to be regaining some form at least. Santner could go missing and if Nicholls plays, I think that's anyones guess because I'd hazard he'd fail but then he did well against the Saffers in their backyard so ???

I think South Africa probably have a 60-40 edge on us, and 20 of that 40 for NZ is based on home conditions, really.

The tiers of players for mine at this time

Amla, Williamson
    Taylor, du Plessis
    de Kock, Bavuma
    Latham, Duminy
    Cook, Elgar, Watling
    Raval, Santner
    Nicholls, CdG

Philander
    Rabada, Wagner
    Boult
    Southee, Parnell
    Maharaj
    Santner
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Raval and CdG will struggle against the seamers. Latham can go either way and Ross really is due to rectify his record vs SA. Kane will be fine and Watling seems to be regaining some form at least. Santner could go missing and if Nicholls plays, I think that's anyones guess because I'd hazard he'd fail but then he did well against the Saffers in their backyard so ???

I think South Africa probably have a 60-40 edge on us, and 20 of that 40 for NZ is based on home conditions, really.

Amla, Williamson
    Taylor, du Plessis
    de Kock, Bavuma
    Latham, Duminy
    Cook, Elgar, Watling
    Raval, Santner
    Nicholls, CdG

Philander
    Rabada, Wagner
    Boult
    Southee, Parnell
    Maharaj
    Santner
    Are you suggesting Taylor and Faf are at a slightly higher class than de Kock? If so, I don't agree with that at all, de Kock at least in their tier.

I'd also have Rabada slightly ahead of Wagner, with Waggers joining Boult in the 3rd tier of bowlers there.

The rest look about right, with possible Elgar in the Latham Duminy tier and Raval with Cook and Watling.

State Captain

Amla, Williamson
    Taylor, du Plessis
    de Kock, Bavuma
    Latham, Duminy
    Cook, Elgar, Watling
    Raval, Santner
    Nicholls, CdG

Philander
    Rabada, Wagner
    Boult
    Southee, Parnell
    Maharaj
    Santner
    I think that you are massively overrating Bavuma - the bloke can't score runs against Sri Lanka and is extremely lucky to be in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    I think that you are massively overrating Bavuma - the bloke can't score runs against Sri Lanka and is extremely lucky to be in the team.
    I don't know - sure he had a bad series against SL, but he did well in Aus (had a better average than Amla and Elgar) and averaged over 50 against England when they come here last season (it was boosted by two not outs but the point stands).

I think the best for him right now is to go get his form back in the franchise stuff but I certainly don't think he doesn't have what it takes to make it at Test level.

EDIT: That said, I think he should be ranked with Cook, Elgar etc., he's not in De Kock's class.
    Last edited by Marius; 18-01-2017 at 04:55 AM.
    SeamUp likes this.

I did think Bavuma looked pretty classy in that short (pun intended) series against NZ too. Looks very compact and uncomplicated at the crease.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    He's only had a shocker against Sri Lanka though. But I believe it's in his best interest to go back to domestic cricket and regain his form there.
    Marius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Are you suggesting Taylor and Faf are at a slightly higher class than de Kock? If so, I don't agree with that at all, de Kock at least in their tier.

I'd also have Rabada slightly ahead of Wagner, with Waggers joining Boult in the 3rd tier of bowlers there.

The rest look about right, with possible Elgar in the Latham Duminy tier and Raval with Cook and Watling.
    Only thing counting against de Kock is his relative inexperience to a certain extent and that he can look a million bucks and still get out with an incredibly immature shot. But I expect he'll be on the same rung, if not higher, soon enough. Rabada also being relatively inexperienced is the only reason he's not higher. I think Wags is generally bowling better than Boult at the moment so he deserves to be higher.

Banned
    The South African team are dropping like flies, so...

Who knows what the team will look like when this series begins!

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post

Slight exaggeration, obviously we've had Abbott and AB omitted for different reasons, but there's no good reason to expect any others selected for the tour to pull out between the squad being named and the tour start.

Only thing counting against de Kock is his relative inexperience to a certain extent and that he can look a million bucks and still get out with an incredibly immature shot. But I expect he'll be on the same rung, if not higher, soon enough. Rabada also being relatively inexperienced is the only reason he's not higher. I think Wags is generally bowling better than Boult at the moment so he deserves to be higher.
    Fair enough, I just happen to see de Kock as an incredibly special player even in spite of his lack of experience, & I'll say it again, I believe he's much more talented than Gilchrist was & that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Fair enough, I just happen to see de Kock as an incredibly special player even in spite of his lack of experience, & I'll say it again, I believe he's much more talented than Gilchrist was & that's saying something.
    He should do great things, for sure. One of the most exciting players going round. Reckon he'll be the leader of the next 'fab 4'.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post

I was wondering what happened to Marchant de Lange, who was hugely impressive on the last tour here. I know one NZ player who rated him the hardest to face. Seems he's not played any tests since that tour and is following the Kolpak route.

Marchant de Lange latest South African to take the Kolpak route

U19 Debutant
    Is Seddon Park getting just too many matches per season? Seems like that ground shows multiple times each series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarun View Post
    Is Seddon Park getting just too many matches per season? Seems like that ground shows multiple times each series.
    It's arguably our best Test venue.
    _Ed_ and Zinzan like this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Isn't that De Lange story old news? I'm pretty sure it has since been confirmed that he is keen on staying in an attempt to get another call-up?

De Lange is capable of bowling some great balls, overs even, but he isn't actually that good a bowler. He is somewhat down the pecking order of SA quicks, even if Steyn, Morkel injured and Abbott out of the picture, I reckon there's probably at least 3 or 4 guys ahead of him in the pecking order.

Page 3 of 238 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information