• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Fair enough, I just happen to see de Kock as an incredibly special player even in spite of his lack of experience, & I'll say it again, I believe he's much more talented than Gilchrist was & that's saying something.
He should do great things, for sure. One of the most exciting players going round. Reckon he'll be the leader of the next 'fab 4'.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Is Seddon Park getting just too many matches per season? Seems like that ground shows multiple times each series.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Isn't that De Lange story old news? I'm pretty sure it has since been confirmed that he is keen on staying in an attempt to get another call-up?

De Lange is capable of bowling some great balls, overs even, but he isn't actually that good a bowler. He is somewhat down the pecking order of SA quicks, even if Steyn, Morkel injured and Abbott out of the picture, I reckon there's probably at least 3 or 4 guys ahead of him in the pecking order.

Marius

International Debutant
I was wondering what happened to Marchant de Lange, who was hugely impressive on the last tour here. I know one NZ player who rated him the hardest to face. Seems he's not played any tests since that tour and is following the Kolpak route.

Marchant de Lange latest South African to take the Kolpak route
Isn't that De Lange story old news? I'm pretty sure it has since been confirmed that he is keen on staying in an attempt to get another call-up?

De Lange is capable of bowling some great balls, overs even, but he isn't actually that good a bowler. He is somewhat down the pecking order of SA quicks, even if Steyn, Morkel injured and Abbott out of the picture, I reckon there's probably at least 3 or 4 guys ahead of him in the pecking order.
Yup.

It was confirmed by the Knights that De Lange isn't going Kolpak. Also think he can't anyway, because he hasn't played enough Tests or ODIs recently to qualify.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully we should at the very least be competitive in the limited-overs games. Interesting to see that SL clinched the T20 series in South Africa 2-1 today.

NZTailender

Hopefully we should at the very least be competitive in the limited-overs games. Interesting to see that SL clinched the T20 series in South Africa 2-1 today.
You see the South African side? Apart from AB, more no names than an English T20 side.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Tests obviously they're favourites, but I'll be disappointed if we don't win the T20 game in a canter & win the ODI series.

While I think Philander & Rabada will be a handful in the tests, I do think their batting looks quite frail.

NZTailender

Yeah, Tests obviously they're favourites, but I'll be disappointed if we don't win the T20 game in a canter & win the ODI series.

While I think Philander & Rabada will be a handful in the tests, I do think their batting looks quite frail.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get another:
South Africa bat first and we roll them for 280 and think we're in.
Then we get rolled for 100 and 120 respectively.

There will be a 500+ innings somewhere in the series though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Should hopefully only miss one Test then. Really don't have a lot of faith in Henry at the moment. Who else is an option for 3rd seamer?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's unfortunate for Wagner.

Also, can we move the Napier test somewhere else please? If 5mm of rain can destroy a whole day's play then you could probably lose the whole test if there's one proper downpour at the start.

Edit: Correction, it's only the 4th ODI at McLean Park, the tests are Dunedin, Wellington, Hamilton. Still sounds like NZC are considering moving it (though more likely will just cross fingers and hope).

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
He's injured for the season after his knee got stuck in wet turf in the T20 competition remember

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Unsurprisingly, Geenty is painting this as opening the door for Ferguson.

Race on for Neil Wagner's test replacement as he faces tight timeframe for first South Africa test | Stuff.co.nz

Surely, though, Ferguson should be their man for South Africa if Wagner falls short.

The Auckland 150kmh man was impressive in game one of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy against Australia and this season has 18 first-class wickets at 22. His extra pace and aggression provides a point of difference and he could provide a Wagner-like intimidatory role at University Oval.
Just so much fail in that quote.

Last edited: