• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

jcas0167

International Debutant
First two tests might be draws. Reckon our best shot to knock off South Africa is Hamilton in a game that would go down similar to this: 1st Test: New Zealand v England at Hamilton, Mar 5-9, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Mind you, last time we played them in Hamilton, they thrashed us.
I recall that's when they picked Arnel ahead of Boult. Gillespie bowled really well though, but NZ were outgunned.

Just looking at Ferguson's first class record, it's quite good given his home ground is Eden Park Outer Oval (ave 25.09). Did he have the same issue with losing pace in his later spells in the ODI's against Bangladesh?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair, Rabada has had ODI success during tours of Bangladesh, India, and in the Caribbean. As well as playing 3 Tests in India.
Yeah. And although he didn't get wickets in those tests, I thought he bowled pretty well. Going to be interesting to see how he adjusts to NZ though.

Also NZ batsmen are historically bad at playing real pace. Don't know how some of the current players enough to judge them there but if he cranks it up, it'll be fun.

Marius

International Debutant
I reckon that with AB out our XI is fairly settled.

The only chances I can see is Maharaj maybe coming in for Olivier, and possibly De Bruyn for Bavuma.

Are the Test grounds we're playing on places we're likely to need a spinner, or is it possible we might go with four fast bowlers on any of the pitches?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think that this Test Series will be the most competitive, even series all year.

Dendarii

International Debutant
4 quicks IMO with Duminy to bowl some spin.
I don't know that Duminy is seen as that much more than a part-time option these days. The only recent match where he's bowled a substantial number of overs was in Perth, and that was because presumably to make up for Steyn's injury. So unless it's a Wanderers-like pitch, I think they'll go for Maharaj and three quicks, with Parnell at the moment seeming to have the nod over Olivier.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't know that Duminy is seen as that much more than a part-time option these days. The only recent match where he's bowled a substantial number of overs was in Perth, and that was because presumably to make up for Steyn's injury. So unless it's a Wanderers-like pitch, I think they'll go for Maharaj and three quicks, with Parnell at the moment seeming to have the nod over Olivier.
Yes, I agree 100% with this.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Raval and CdG will struggle against the seamers. Latham can go either way and Ross really is due to rectify his record vs SA. Kane will be fine and Watling seems to be regaining some form at least. Santner could go missing and if Nicholls plays, I think that's anyones guess because I'd hazard he'd fail but then he did well against the Saffers in their backyard so ???

I think South Africa probably have a 60-40 edge on us, and 20 of that 40 for NZ is based on home conditions, really.

The tiers of players for mine at this time

Amla, Williamson
Taylor, du Plessis
de Kock, Bavuma
Latham, Duminy
Cook, Elgar, Watling
Raval, Santner
Nicholls, CdG

Philander
Rabada, Wagner
Boult
Southee, Parnell
Maharaj
Santner

Zinzan

Raval and CdG will struggle against the seamers. Latham can go either way and Ross really is due to rectify his record vs SA. Kane will be fine and Watling seems to be regaining some form at least. Santner could go missing and if Nicholls plays, I think that's anyones guess because I'd hazard he'd fail but then he did well against the Saffers in their backyard so ???

I think South Africa probably have a 60-40 edge on us, and 20 of that 40 for NZ is based on home conditions, really.

Amla, Williamson
Taylor, du Plessis
de Kock, Bavuma
Latham, Duminy
Cook, Elgar, Watling
Raval, Santner
Nicholls, CdG

Philander
Rabada, Wagner
Boult
Southee, Parnell
Maharaj
Santner
Are you suggesting Taylor and Faf are at a slightly higher class than de Kock? If so, I don't agree with that at all, de Kock at least in their tier.

I'd also have Rabada slightly ahead of Wagner, with Waggers joining Boult in the 3rd tier of bowlers there.

The rest look about right, with possible Elgar in the Latham Duminy tier and Raval with Cook and Watling.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Amla, Williamson
Taylor, du Plessis
de Kock, Bavuma
Latham, Duminy
Cook, Elgar, Watling
Raval, Santner
Nicholls, CdG

Philander
Rabada, Wagner
Boult
Southee, Parnell
Maharaj
Santner
I think that you are massively overrating Bavuma - the bloke can't score runs against Sri Lanka and is extremely lucky to be in the team.

Marius

International Debutant
I think that you are massively overrating Bavuma - the bloke can't score runs against Sri Lanka and is extremely lucky to be in the team.
I don't know - sure he had a bad series against SL, but he did well in Aus (had a better average than Amla and Elgar) and averaged over 50 against England when they come here last season (it was boosted by two not outs but the point stands).

I think the best for him right now is to go get his form back in the franchise stuff but I certainly don't think he doesn't have what it takes to make it at Test level.

EDIT: That said, I think he should be ranked with Cook, Elgar etc., he's not in De Kock's class.

Last edited:

Zinzan

I did think Bavuma looked pretty classy in that short (pun intended) series against NZ too. Looks very compact and uncomplicated at the crease.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
He's only had a shocker against Sri Lanka though. But I believe it's in his best interest to go back to domestic cricket and regain his form there.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Are you suggesting Taylor and Faf are at a slightly higher class than de Kock? If so, I don't agree with that at all, de Kock at least in their tier.

I'd also have Rabada slightly ahead of Wagner, with Waggers joining Boult in the 3rd tier of bowlers there.

The rest look about right, with possible Elgar in the Latham Duminy tier and Raval with Cook and Watling.
Only thing counting against de Kock is his relative inexperience to a certain extent and that he can look a million bucks and still get out with an incredibly immature shot. But I expect he'll be on the same rung, if not higher, soon enough. Rabada also being relatively inexperienced is the only reason he's not higher. I think Wags is generally bowling better than Boult at the moment so he deserves to be higher.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The South African team are dropping like flies, so...

Who knows what the team will look like when this series begins!

Zinzan

The South African team are dropping like flies, so...

Who knows what the team will look like when this series begins!
Slight exaggeration, obviously we've had Abbott and AB omitted for different reasons, but there's no good reason to expect any others selected for the tour to pull out between the squad being named and the tour start.

Zinzan

Only thing counting against de Kock is his relative inexperience to a certain extent and that he can look a million bucks and still get out with an incredibly immature shot. But I expect he'll be on the same rung, if not higher, soon enough. Rabada also being relatively inexperienced is the only reason he's not higher. I think Wags is generally bowling better than Boult at the moment so he deserves to be higher.
Fair enough, I just happen to see de Kock as an incredibly special player even in spite of his lack of experience, & I'll say it again, I believe he's much more talented than Gilchrist was & that's saying something.