• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While this is irritating as ****, I do concur with Steve's overall point. Despite loud (and irritatingly repetitive) pronouncements about the team's weakness from certain quarters, we've played pretty good test cricket right through the home summer. Yes, we were hung, drawn and quartered in Wellington, but otherwise we've more than held our own against Pakistan and South Africa - two teams that arrived in New Zealand with very significant reputations. And that despite the fact that Boult and Taylor were injured during the majority of those 5 tests. If we can just sharpen up our fielding and get a bit more consistency out of the middle order then we'll be very very hard to beat.

It's just a pity that we won't get the chance to see them in action again until the heat death of the universe.

Heboric

International Debutant
Got to give NZ credit for being in such a dominant position without the likes of Taylor, Boult and Southee. And I'm sure they will take heart from this test despite them (probably) losing the series. Although I must say Broom doesn't look up to much and Nicholl's future at Test level is gonna be interesting because he still looks a little unsure of himself imo. Ravel looks good though. SA, on the other hand, have some serious question to answer. Of course they've got the De Villiars factor up their sleeve but is he still even interested in Test cricket? And the opening spot is once again a major issue. The spinner done well during the first two tests but on a decent deck he looked harmless tbh so again it will be interesting to see how he copes after people have seen him now.
Yeah I think there should be a sticky for the "Wait until South African bowler X tours Y", there has been a lot of those comments around

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
At least Latham picked up a half century and took that catch in the slips. Hopefully that will give him confidence for the English summer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonder if Faf's going to pull out the blockathon while QdK tries to get rid of the deficit

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo said:
12.45pm It has stopped raining. There is some blue sky, says Firdose from the ground. Some of the South Africa players have made their way out and the soppers have begun doing the rounds.
Better not be getting my hopes up for nothing, Cricinfo...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
12.56pm Covers being lifted.
12.45pm It has stopped raining. There is some blue sky, says Firdose from the ground. Some of the South Africa players have made their way out and the soppers have begun doing the rounds.
As we wait for further update, here is a delightful read to kill time. We are all hoping for a sunny day of cricket. But what about the sunny non-cricketing days? Firdose Moonda tells us about all the delights you come across as you go around New Zealand.
Rain radar says this is false hope unless the rain clouds approaching from the west magically decide to go north around the city.

Never have I spent so much time refreshing rain radar screens...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So those people who were happy with NZ going at a shade over 2 an over in the morning session yesterday, still happy with it?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So those people who were happy with NZ going at a shade over 2 an over in the morning session yesterday, still happy with it?
I wasn't overly happy with it but the tactic was somewhat validated by getting SA 5-down before the close of play yesterday. As a whole, the day was a great result for NZ.

We were never going to get a result if it rained all today anyway.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, an extra 30 or 40 more runs in the first session is unlikely to have made any difference to when South Africa's second innings started (the forecast was pretty good until about 10pm last night) or - sadly - NZ's chances of an innings win. And keeping SA out in the field for longer meant that their top order was knackered and vulnerable to collapse when they eventually went out to bat.

Last edited:

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Seems a little premature to call off play? When they can go through to 7pm? I guess ground staff dont think they can get it ready even if the rain cleared.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Seems a little premature to call off play? When they can go through to 7pm? I guess ground staff dont think they can get it ready even if the rain cleared.
I'm a little surprised too tbh, though yeah it would take hours to get the ground ready even if the rain stops in an hour (which looks possible).

Ultra-lame.

thierry henry

International Coach
5 wickets can fall quickly. I mean, in theory they could've started at 6pm and played half an hour. I know the forecast is bad but I would've thought they would've hung around as late as possible for the slightest chance of any amount of play.