• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

jcas0167

International Debutant
bugger, but glad tom bruce managed a cameo. how did he look?
He looked quite classy. Strong off the back-foot in particular.

NZ badly exposed against a quality bowling attack. I suspect they would have lost even with Taylor or Broom, but without them the batting looks particularly brittle. Great bowling by Tahir.

Howsie

International Captain
Eh, not flash. Let's just say I can see the Taranaki in him with that Peter Ingram like footwork going on.

Did play a couple of classy shots though, would like to see more of him but I doubt there is room for him in the ODI team.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Lots of dots, In between reaching the tiny boundaries to release the pressure. So, like a Saturday arvo bash at Pukekura. Personally, I'm still none the wiser.

Flem274*

123/5
mixed reviews then. well i'll take the cameo as better than a duck. CDs best regular batsman tho so if nz don't want him in the end we'll have him back. cheers for wanting nicholls over him in tests selectors.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Thoughts

Tom Bruce has an international future but not sure Munro does. What a brainless cricketer he appears to be sometimes. Give yourself a sighter, son.

We need a method to counter Tahir. Play him like an offspinner, maybe.

Boult is in fine form. What a great bowler when on song.

I liked the look of Wheeler.

Ronchi is finished. Give Latham the gloves for ODIs until one of Seifert, Phillips or Cleaver pokes their head above the parapet.

Tough first up gig for Phillips. Morris bowled superbly but he looked decent enough for his 10 balls.

Why no Taylor? How can that be justified? Muddled thinking from the brains trust there.

Overall a poor perfomance followed a poor selection.

Bring on the ODIs.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
mixed reviews then. well i'll take the cameo as better than a duck. CDs best regular batsman tho so if nz don't want him in the end we'll have him back. cheers for wanting nicholls over him in tests selectors.
He definitely showed enough to suggest he has a future at the highest level. He looks better than Nicholls does, and against a superior attack.

vandem

International 12th Man
Thoughts on tonight's game:

- impressed that we got a full game, was heavy rain yesterday and a solid shower mid afternoon. Kudos to Eden Park ground staff and management.

- Boult was outstanding.

- Wheeler bowled better than his numbers, in his second over Amla hit four 4s in a row, but two were edged very close to fielders

- Phillips looked over-awed. But then I recall BMac's first white ball innings, 5 (15) opening in Sydney, IIRC got one pull away for four but also looked over-awed.

- Kane looked surprised when he was caught at deep sq leg - perhaps he missed a fielding change? Perhaps he was busy thinking about run rates and team selection and how crap Timmie bowled and wasn't concentrating on doing his batting job?

- Tahir bowled well, but when he came on the game was already won after early wickets from Morris and Phehlukwayo.

Edit, and ....
... tonight I saw something new in cricket, a bouncer that went over the head of the batsman and keeper, but didn't go to the boundary. Fielder reached it while the ball was still rolling, but would have pulled up inside the fence anyway.

Last edited:

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Regarding countering Tahir and 'playing him like an off-spinner'.

That just won't work. He has a superb googly and bowls it often, so I can kinda understand you thinking to play him like an offie, but he does have the ripping legspinner in his locker too, which will do for you then.

The way to counter Tahir is to be able to pick the googly from the hand, and possibly the flight. If you can't do that, you have no chance.

Heboric

International Debutant
Well done SABC, has money to show a soccer match involving North Korean Womens under 19 team on tv, but not its own National team on radio - digusting..

Will Miller be fit by Sunday ?

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Regarding countering Tahir and 'playing him like an off-spinner'.

That just won't work. He has a superb googly and bowls it often, so I can kinda understand you thinking to play him like an offie, but he does have the ripping legspinner in his locker too, which will do for you then.
Well, theoretically, if you are playing for a ball turning into you and that ball then turns away from you, you are going to miss it by some distance, and that ball should miss off stump. Especially if that ball is a ripping leg spinner. Theoretically anyway.

But I am sure international batsmen have tried to come up with way to counter him and have obviously not found one yet as he is the best short form bowler in the world!

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done SA. Impressive all-round performance.

Really disappointing effort from NZ in front of a pretty big crowd. Boult was sensational - I'd hate to think what SA would have scored without him. Then Bruce was the only one who looked remotely comfortable with the bat. Everyone else was abysmal.

Tough debut for Phillips, hope it doesn't set him back too much.