• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

centurymaker

International Captain
The sob story is with regard to the post above 70-80% fitness, many of the Aussie players were not at 100% either is all I'm saying. Just can't see the Saffas dishing up decks suiting Indian spinners, I think they'll back their fast guys and I think they'll win quite easy. Just my opinion
'Regarding Rahul and Vijay, the BCCI said, "Mr. K Lokesh Rahul - the opening batsman is likely to undergo surgery of his left shoulder and may not be available for IPL 2017 season during which he will have to complete his rehabilitation.
"Mr. M Vijay - the Indian opener will require surgery to his right wrist and also undergo rehabilitation for his left shoulder and hence may not be able to participate in IPL 2017."

Ashwin - hernia
Kohli - shoulder

Australian had similar fitness concerns, yea right! We are not even referring to niggles but proper injuries or problems that need medical attention and time away from cricket. No team has played as long a home season of tests as they have and even in Pune some of Indian guys looked 70-80% and majority of them looked jaded but somehow found the will power to fight and scrap home (win) the series in the end.
They were initially opting for bunsens, 3 day pitches, so that they could win the series quickly and presumably rest but they under estimated Aus and it backfired.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only health issues Australia had were Indian food-inflicted. But that's a given when you tour.

(Other than the guys like Marsh and Starc who went home, obviously)

centurymaker

International Captain
Last year, Ashwin was India's No.1 match winner by far even on relatively flatter pitches. So this time around if he had been close to full fitness, the whole series could have been a different story altogether. The guy was a pale shadow of his former self and tried not to overly exert himself & his problems, so as to keep playing and hopefully keep contributing to some degree. He only exerted himself more -when it was literally a direct win or lose scenario, like in the 2nd innings in Bangalore or like a bit towards the end of the 4th test. Still, he seemed well below par and would barely even bend properly while fielding, which was a good indication of his lack of fitness and incredible stiffness- which we saw repeatedly, whereas previously he would even dive from time to time.

He himself mentioned most of this in his post series interview.

Also as early as (late?) last year he started to talk about his fitness problems when people began to notice a dramatic drop in intensity in his bowling as well as fielding. And in Jan/Feb he admitted that he was only playing at 60-70% of his potential due to hernia and other issues and so with this in mind, its no big surprise that India initially opted for big turners in the series to quickly get the job done with their tiring resources.

Now he's out of IPL. I say, don't pick him for Champions Trophy, he needs a long break to sort himself out/get treated.

centurymaker

International Captain
The only health issues Australia had were Indian food-inflicted. But that's a given when you tour.

(Other than the guys like Marsh and Starc who went home, obviously)
True. Problem with food in India is that.. sometimes the water they use is not of the absolute highest quality for example to clean or wash the ingredients during the preparation. And then it can cause problems to those susceptible ones.
Or if you eat certain "fresh" foods, they too can cause an upset stomach.

But idk for sure.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
So Starc doing his foot in at some stage in the 2nd test and Marsh not being able to bowl at anywhere near his normal speed, Lyon basically had to snooze in the field for a day due to his spinning finger/s cuts and the other Marsh doing his back in. What they don't count? I think that both teams had a bunch of injuries

Shri

Mr. Glass
So Starc doing his foot in at some stage in the 2nd test and Marsh not being able to bowl at anywhere near his normal speed, Lyon basically had to snooze in the field for a day due to his spinning finger/s cuts and the other Marsh doing his back in. What they don't count? I think that both teams had a bunch of injuries
A corn in the finger = a hernia

Ok then.

Also, Starc's speed didn't drop ftr. It was a legit injury and he deserves credit for running in all day with his niggle but he was fiery as ever.

Compton

International Debutant
A corn in the finger = a hernia

Ok then.

Also, Starc's speed didn't drop ftr. It was a legit injury and he deserves credit for running in all day with his niggle but he was fiery as ever.
Have you tried to bowl finger spin with an injured finger?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Have you tried to bowl finger spin with an injured finger?
Yes. Easy enough to tape it up and get on with it. Have also had surgery to remove an overgrown appendix as a kid. Torso injuries are serious enough to permanently screw up your posture.

Julian87

State Captain
Yes. Easy enough to tape it up and get on with it. Have also had surgery to remove an overgrown appendix as a kid. Torso injuries are serious enough to permanently screw up your posture.
Well, nah, you can't tape it.

Wouldn't Ashwin being a bit fitter probably stop a Hernia occurring?

Compton

International Debutant
You can't tape it if you still want to bowl even semi-well.

"Torso injuries" :laugh:

That's one of the most generic terms I've ever heard.

"Hi Doctor, I've hurt myself. Yeah, I've got a sore body"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who cares he still took 5 wickets and had better figures than SOK with a "sore finger"

why is this even an argument. "who's side had the most sore players". It's ****ing stupid.

Compton

International Debutant
who cares he still took 5 wickets and had better figures than SOK with a "sore finger"

why is this even an argument. "who's side had the most sore players". It's ****ing stupid.
Agreed.

I've little time for discussing players who missed matches with injury. But discussing players who played at 90% is particularly vapid.

Spark

Global Moderator
When TJB is pointing out that Lyon performed well you know the discussion has gone way off the rails of sensibility.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Australia were still nursing bruised ego's from SriLanka and South Africa. After Australia lost the second test they were all sore.

What's the old saying..."If your picked and you play, then you are 100% OK".