Page 706 of 721 FirstFirst ... 206606656696704705706707708716 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,590 of 10812
Like Tree7707Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    To be fair Handscomb and Marsh really haven't made that many more runs than Warner. Marsh has made 146 for example to Warner's 131 in the same number of innings. Average of 24 vs 21. That doesn't tell the full story because Marsh has played two innings that are better than anything Warner has and I think it's reasonable to expect openers to score the bulk of the runs in India, but Warner has made a lot of starts, and was a decent contributor in Pune with that opening stand that set the tone for the series. He's had a bad series but I don't think he's in any danger of being dropped and it is possible to overstate his failures. It hasn't been on the level of Kohli's series, or Ponting in 2001 or anything. And there's no reason to categorise Warner's performance as drop-worthy but Marsh's as a good series worthy of praise.

Warner's subcontinent failures are a problem for sure and he does need overseas runs, but he's such a monumental asset in more friendly conditions that I think by the next time a tour to a place he's likely to struggle rolls around (when even is that? 2019 ashes? He's not even that bad in England, and I don't think there's a winter away tour next year) he'll have made more runs and cemented his spot in the team again. I'm not sure when the next time he's even like to play on slow, turning wickets is. Australia have toured Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and the West Indies all fairly recently.
    Darsh to open, Warner to four.....

Nate likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    What's Warner going to do at 4 lol. He's better off opening, at least he can slap around the quicks for a bit.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ask yourself what Darsh might do as opener though.......

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    He's played two solid knocks at 4, I'd keep him there tbh
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Marsh got runs opening in SL didn't he? No reason to think he can't do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I do have the ability to say different things in different posts. Weird I know.
    Its a feature, not a bug!
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Since 05, all of the Ashes have been a thrashing one way or the other. Even if they have been entertaining. I'm glad I got to see Johnson terrifying English batsmen like that (before the events of '14).
    heh? 2009 was pretty close. Australia were actually the better team but couldn't grab the "big moments". 2013 was closer than a scoreline of 3-0 suggests, there was only one thrashing that series (I think) and the 2 draws (rain affected?) happened to be when Australia played better. 2015 had a scoreline of 3-2, which while not numerically a "thrashing" was probably the most one-sided of all the English ashes series since 2005, counter-intuitive though it may seem.

All the Australian ashes have clearly been one-sided though. Two 5-0s and the 3-1 to England in 2010/11 pretty hard to argue against.

heh? 2009 was pretty close. Australia were actually the better team but couldn't grab the "big moments". 2013 was closer than a scoreline of 3-0 suggests, there was only one thrashing that series (I think) and the 2 draws (rain affected?) happened to be when Australia played better. 2015 had a scoreline of 3-2, which while not numerically a "thrashing" was probably the most one-sided of all the English ashes series since 2005, counter-intuitive though it may seem.

All the Australian ashes have clearly been one-sided though. Two 5-0s and the 3-1 to England in 2010/11 pretty hard to argue against.
    Hmm, did Australia really play better at Edgbaston in 2009? I think England were in control of most of that match, though in the end it was a very comfortable draw.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

The last good Ashes was 2009, albeit the umpiring was dreadful. 2005 was an absolute masterpiece and up there with the first Worrell Trophy of the early '60s as one of the greatest test series of all time. The rest of the recent Ashes have all been too one-sided to be great series although they all have their nationalistic appeal if that is what you enjoy masturbating to (e.g. 2010/11 for Englishmen, the two whitewashes for Aussies). This series in India is up there. I probably wouldn't rank it up there with the '05 Ashes but it is not far behind.

I think 2009 was actually the worst series of the last few in terms of the quality of cricket, both teams played some fairly awful cricket and Australia just happened to be more rubbish at the wrong moments.
    adub and quincywagstaff like this.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Hmm, did Australia really play better at Edgbaston in 2009? I think England were in control of most of that match, though in the end it was a very comfortable draw.
    no idea. They certainly did in the first Test in Cardiff though. Were one wicket away from an innings victory.

The other weird thing about this last Test is that it's possibly the first time in my life (that I can recall at least) where a Draw has been a positive result for Aus. In every other Test match draw Australia has played in, from what I remember, has been a failure because Australia were on top and deserved to win. It's a nice change tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I think 2009 was actually the worst series of the last few in terms of the quality of cricket, both teams played some fairly awful cricket and Australia just happened to be more rubbish at the wrong moments.
    2013 was poor. 2015 was poor for batting. At least 2009 had some close edge of the seat moments like Jimmy and Monty''s blockathon.

no idea. They certainly did in the first Test in Cardiff though. Were one wicket away from an innings victory.

The other weird thing about this last Test is that it's possibly the first time in my life (that I can recall at least) where a Draw has been a positive result for Aus. In every other Test match draw Australia has played in, from what I remember, has been a failure because Australia were on top and deserved to win. It's a nice change tbh.
    People who say it was one of the die hard Test fans are right. I can easily see how people who aren't connoisseurs would be bored.

But it was a super draw. Mainly because both sides had periods of being on top, but lost the advantage due to the opposition stepping up. Even the last day when only two results were possible still had the drama that great Test cricket can bring because one more wicket after lunch would probably have got India the win. But Marsh and Handscomb stepped up as Pujara and Saha had and as Smith and Maxwell had.

I hope the next test is a bit spicier than this one, but it was no where near a bad pitch and a result was a serious possibility up until the last hour. Test cricket needs games like this every now and again. Australia certainly did.
    Last edited by adub; 20-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    stephen and indiaholic like this.
    408 - forever 63*
    "Steve O'Keefe, the spin bowler Shane Warne said wasn't good enough for Test cricket, just destroyed the Indian batting line-up."
    Proudly jumping on the SOK Bandwagon since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    You just posted on a cricket related forum. That pretty much makes you die-hard by definition. I think you had to have at least enough understanding as to why the sides were batting as they were to make this test interesting.

We have already seen the casual cricket fan posting about how this was a boring draw and that India cost themselves the chance to win by batting so slowly
    Fair enough - maybe there is some die hard in me.

The casual cricket fan has twenty20. Test cricket doesn't need to change to get the fans. The fans need to change to get test cricket.
    zorax and indiaholic like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    isn't he a poor man's son #ianchappell
    "Being from the village is not the same as being a poor man" - Ian Chappell
    "There has always been a thought that Australian players don't like it when other captains stand up to them. They like to make fun of a Mike Brearley or a Jeremy Coney, but put a Sourav Ganguly or an Arjuna Ranatunga in front of them - someone who stands up and mouths off -and they hate it." - Jarrod Kimber

Thread Information