• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved that interview. A. He didn't allow Warner to get away from his record of scoring only at home. B. He rubbished and put to bed that pathetic 'ball with your name on it' attitude. Well done Smith.
Him specifically saying they've been rubbish at trying to draw games was very good.

Warner is definitely one of the guys I'm worried most about. If we get pitches like Rajkot again, he can really hurt us.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least he'll be in form going in I guess? Sri Lanka was just bizarre watching Warner, not only did he not have a clue but he was visibly panicked at times.

Just rip out 4 repeats of 2015 Nagpur I say, for the comedic value.

adub

International Captain
I can see India opening with Ashwin and Jadeja just so Warner doesn't get any medium pace dross to get him going.

Slifer

International Captain
I'm actually optimistic for Australia's chances for some reason. For some reason I think they'll do better than others in India.

Still, the smart bet would be for India to deal out another thrashing.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The England series happened in the winter under pleasant conditions. Will be totally different conditions under a harsher sun unless the curators specifically aim not to let the ball turn.

Burgey

I like the approach Smith is taking, especially wrt backing your defence and batting long. It'll be a good challenge for the whole side. Am also liking him making the team his own, not just following along with the higher ups and the coach.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would take him over Zampa tbh. Somewhat surprised he wasn't picked, there seemed to be a bit of a hype train around him earlier in the season but it's disappeared.
People have pointed to his record, but also a lot of guys who have played with him, coached him, etc. think that he's well suited to the subcontinent.

Has he played any long form cricket over there (i.e. an A tour)?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah that definitely sounds like Australia are thinking along the right lines.

Why Sriram as a bowling consultant though, doesn't look like he was a proper bowler.
Just as some of the best batting coaches never played Test cricket.

Daemon

Just as some of the best batting coaches never played Test cricket.
Yeah, I was thinking that as I wrote the post.

Read up a bit more and he's worked with the Australian spinners in the past when they've toured the subcontinent. He's even working with the U-16 side atm in Dubai, teaching them about the SC conditions, which is a great initiative by CA imo, they clearly realise you can't always just learn on the job and have to get it drilled into you when you're still young.

They've also called up Panesar as a consultant apparently.

Midwinter

State Captain
He's even working with the U-16 side atm in Dubai, teaching them about the SC conditions, which is a great initiative by CA imo, they clearly realise you can't always just learn on the job and have to get it drilled into you when you're still young.
FMD CA must be absolutely rolling in cash !

Starfighter

People have pointed to his record, but also a lot of guys who have played with him, coached him, etc. think that he's well suited to the subcontinent.

I'm not even sure he's played a single game for Australia A. I don't think he's played in India before, although I could be wrong.

I don't see anything in his bowling suited to the subcontinent compared to others such as Swepson or Ahmed. He tends to bowl fairly slow and loopy while Swepson is a bit flatter and quicker - and I'd have thought the latter would be better in the SC. I can only see Zampa fulfilling an Adil Rashid sort of role and taking wickets while being fairly expensive, and Rashid's record is far better and he's more experienced.

Neither have great variations. Zampa turns his wrong 'un more but I think Swepson's is harder to pick, Zampa bowls an okayish-for-limited-overs slider while I don't know about Swepson.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I like the approach Smith is taking, especially wrt backing your defence and batting long. It'll be a good challenge for the whole side. Am also liking him making the team his own, not just following along with the higher ups and the coach.
So true. Warner can't be playing shots like the one he spewed off at hobart and think it's all dandy and cool. Likewise in SL

KRIS 148

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hope Starc freshens up a bit. He's been pretty flat the last few tests. I like Haze's method for Kohli too. Not as optimistic about our batting though I think TPC will do pretty well. Warner needs to step up OS big time if Australia is to have any shot at being competitive across the whole series.
Think India will win pretty comfortably but think Australia might jag a test (hopefully one of the first two to keep it interesting).
I can see Hazlewood targeting Kohli the same way he targeted Amla. Hazey mentallly disintegrated the South African .. Kohli on his soil will be a tougher assignment. Starc with his unpredictability will be the danger man for the Indians. If he and Haze can get reverse swing we are in with a show.
The fact that Australia has two possibly three batsmen that you could call capable players of spin could be our downfall. If we are to be competitive we must be positive without being reckless. Never let their spinners settle into a rythmn

Last edited:

Johnners

I'm not even sure he's played a single game for Australia A. I don't think he's played in India before, although I could be wrong.

I don't see anything in his bowling suited to the subcontinent compared to others such as Swepson or Ahmed. He tends to bowl fairly slow and loopy while Swepson is a bit flatter and quicker - and I'd have thought the latter would be better in the SC. I can only see Zampa fulfilling an Adil Rashid sort of role and taking wickets while being fairly expensive, and Rashid's record is far better and he's more experienced.

Neither have great variations. Zampa turns his wrong 'un more but I think Swepson's is harder to pick, Zampa bowls an okayish-for-limited-overs slider while I don't know about Swepson.
He played in the T20 World Cup early last year.

TheJediBrah

Heh god point

Ashwin averages 50+ in Australia and low 20s (guessing) in India. Why can't Zampa be the same . . . ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Well he's played in the IPL and in ODIs there.

Zampa bowls with more sidespin, and flatter which ensures that the ball isn't bouncing over the stumps as often. It's very different in style to the traditional Australian leg-spinner, a la Warne with the overspin and dip.