• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook
Warner
Root
Smith
SMarsh
Bairstow
Stokes
Starc
Broad
O'Keefe
Rashid

Maybe Haze in for O'Keefe. Not sure. Would certainly be favourites to win in my book.
Cook
Warner
Smith
Root
Bairstow+
Stokes 4
Ali 6
Broad 3
Rashid 5
Starc 1
Anderson 2

Debatable whether to include a 3rd spinner, although I suppose a case could be made. Sometimes it's better just to have your best bowlers.

India would still crush them in Indian conditions for mine.

Zinzan

^ In fact even if you added NZ into the mix, since they were toured before England, and added Boult for Anderson & possibly found a place for Santner, India would still win comfortably.

I think the more pertinent question at the moment would be how would India go against a ROTW side in a Test series in India at the moment?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interestingly, Smith has a huge disparity between his average batting first and batting second. 70 vs 45.

When you look at his average for each innings, the figures are even more interesting:

1st innings - 89
2nd innings - 55
3rd innings - 46
4th innings - 33

It seems that he gets progressively worse over the course of a test. Whether or not Australia can snag a win or a couple of draws may yet ready more on the flip of the coin than anything else - lose all 4 tosses and we could be in for a much worse time than if we win them all.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
^ In fact even if you added NZ into the mix, since they were toured before England, and added Boult for Anderson & possibly found a place for Santner, India would still win comfortably.

I think the more pertinent question at the moment would be how would India go against a ROTW side in a Test series in India at the moment?
In that case, ROW has a good chance to win. What the non-subcontinent sides lack is Herath and Yasir.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I said, "If they bat first."
I believe Nufan was implying that even if they batted first, Warner would still be batting at the end of day 2. Somewhat jokingly I presume.
Nah, I actually misread. I was thinking that Warner is one of those guys that actually performs well in his sides 2nd bat and then when I decided to post my response, I had forgotten the oh look a dog is wagging his tail question

Zinzan

In that case, ROW has a good chance to win. What the non-subcontinent sides lack is Herath and Yasir.
Best ROTW to take on India in Indian conditions then?

Azhar
CookWarner
Amla/Smith
Root
Younis
Stokes
Bairstow+
Rashid
Herath
Shah
Boult/Starc/Broad/Anderson/Wagner

Cook or Warner in Indian conditions? Good argument for de Kock to be ahead of Bairstow, but after his latest tour, gone for Johnny. Mathews stiff to miss out to Stokes.

Take your pick for number XI out of those fast bowlers.

Shri

Mr. Glass

Azhar
CookWarner
Amla/Smith
Root
Younis
Stokes
Bairstow+
Rashid
Herath
Shah

Cook or Warner in Indian conditions? Good argument for de Kock to be ahead of Bairstow, but after his latest tour, gone for Johnny. Mathews stiff to miss out to Stokes.

Amla instead of Root until he starts converting his fifties into big scores.

A Cook
A Ali
H Amla
Y Khan
S Smith
Ab de Villiers +
B Stokes
R Herath
Y Shah
M Starc
D Steyn

TheJediBrah

Interestingly, Smith has a huge disparity between his average batting first and batting second. 70 vs 45.

When you look at his average for each innings, the figures are even more interesting:

1st innings - 89
2nd innings - 55
3rd innings - 46
4th innings - 33

It seems that he gets progressively worse over the course of a test. Whether or not Australia can snag a win or a couple of draws may yet ready more on the flip of the coin than anything else - lose all 4 tosses and we could be in for a much worse time than if we win them all.
I was going to say that declaration batting would be a big part of that, but still doesn't explain why his 4th innings record is so poor. Really disappointing stats for a player of his quality.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Azhar
CookWarner
Amla/Smith
Root
Younis
Stokes
Bairstow+
Rashid
Herath
Shah

Sad to see that Williamson is not even in consideration while only sometime back, he was touted as potentially the best batsman in the world.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was going to say that declaration batting would be a big part of that, but still doesn't explain why his 4th innings record is so poor. Really disappointing stats for a player of his quality.

TBF, many great batsmen average in the 30s in the 4th innings. You have to look at it relative to the team scores for each innings for better context.