Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Now is the time: Who is Pakistan's best batsman? Miandad vs. Inzamam vs. Younis Khan

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Between 1976 and 1982, Greg Chappell averaged 52.63 v West Indies. 1976 - 83, Gavaskar averaged 56.57
    Both Gavaskar and Chappell got the bulk of their runs against the windies when the attack hadn't quite become what it would be.

Amarnath I'd pretty much the only one who had a great series against the quarter at their peak.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Between 1976 and 1982, Greg Chappell averaged 52.63 v West Indies. 1976 - 83, Gavaskar averaged 56.57
    I think SJS had a long post on gavaskar. That a lot of his runs came before the quartet etc.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Yeah, Gavaskar made most of his runs vs them in 1971 and 78 series when the quartet wasn't formed or were out with injuries and Chappell in 1976 when they weren't even close to their peak. Just goes to show how difficult it is to score against 4 atg quick bowlers.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Both Gavaskar and Chappell got the bulk of their runs against the windies when the attack hadn't quite become what it would be.

Amarnath I'd pretty much the only one who had a great series against the quarter at their peak.
    45.00 for Chappell in Australia '79/80, v Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner. 50.50 for Gavaskar '83/4 in India (236 not out at Chennai, v Marshall, Holding and Roberts).
    Last edited by S.Kennedy; 16-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Mohinder Armanath's record against the Windies is startling

against them from '76 to '88 which pretty much consisted of the Windies 4 pronged pace peak, he scored 1019 runs @ 59.5 from his first 19 digs, then 57 runs @ 5.1 from his last 11

what is the explanation for that?
    zorax and indiaholic like this.
    cricket rules brah

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post

against them from '76 to '88 which pretty much consisted of the Windies 4 pronged pace peak, he scored 1019 runs @ 59.5 from his first 19 digs, then 57 runs @ 5.1 from his last 11

Whatever it was, he should have bottled it up and sold it to the other batsman of that era!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar

Martin Crowe faced the Windies at their very best & averaged 45 with 3 hundreds in 7 tests.

First time a 4 Test away tour to the Caribbean when they were pretty much at their peak in 1985 & the 2nd time in NZ in 1987 when NZ managed to draw the 3 test series 1-1. IIRC Crowe scored 2 centuries and a 80 in the 3 tests.

The later great Malcolm Marshall said he found Crowe & Border the two toughest batsmen to dismiss in his time playing.

State Vice-Captain
    Having followed his career, I always felt Mo Yo was the ultimate fair weather batsman. A high percentage of his runs were in drawn games and dull pitches. Few truly matchwinning innings under his belt. Mentally not very tough.

Saeed Anwar, on the other hand, was pure class and between 95-2000 was one of the best in the world. I always felt he never got his full due as his career was relatively short.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMatch View Post
    Inzie was the best. I'll prove it with science.

My job used to take me to all the West Indian islands in the 1990s. During the 92 and 96 World Cups, all the bars would be filled early in the morning with chilling rasta men and big, hardback Afro West Indians. A tv would be on with the game, everyone drinking and cheering for the West Indies. People would be eating their breakfast and cheering for Ambrose and Lara.

But the only other team West Indians supported was Pakistan - for some completely inexplicable reason - and the Pakistani batsman they all knew was "dat Inzie man". Every damn rasta in those bars wanted to watch "dat fella Inzie". I never figured out if Inzie was some kind of joke to them, or some kind of Legend. All I know is that on some of the tiniest islands in the world, there were legions of rasta men who worshiped Inzie.
    CW needs more rasta man based analysis of cricketers

Uphill skier
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Martin Crowe faced the Windies at their very best & averaged 45 with 3 hundreds in 7 tests.

First time a 4 Test away tour to the Caribbean when they were pretty much at their peak in 1985 & the 2nd time in NZ in 1987 when NZ managed to draw the 3 test series 1-1. IIRC Crowe scored 2 centuries and a 80 in the 3 tests.

The later great Malcolm Marshall said he found Crowe & Border the two toughest batsmen to dismiss in his time playing.
    Not in that order, obvs.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

45.00 for Chappell in Australia '79/80, v Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner. 50.50 for Gavaskar '83/4 in India (236 not out at Chennai, v Marshall, Holding and Roberts).
    GC's stats in 81-82 don't quite make such good reading.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    GC's stats in 81-82 don't quite make such good reading.
    Chappell still averaged 40.85 during the 1981/82 season thanks to his 201 against Imran Khan in Brisbane and 176 against Hadlee in Christchurch.

However, his 6 innings against the West Indies between those two scores were pretty ordinary - 0 - 6 - 12 - 0 - 61 - 7

On the plus side Chappell's overall average against the West Indies (not including his successes during WSC) is a healthy 56.00 over 17 Tests.

IMO Chappell remains one of the greatest batsman of all-time against real pace bowling despite a drop in average during the early 1980s due to a bout of Clinical Depression. Derek Underwood was his real nemesis, not so much the quicks.
    Last edited by watson; 17-01-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    S.Kennedy likes this.

Yeah I was talking about his stats against the West Indies though mate.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Not in that order, obvs.
    Chk my picks so far in the funky draft 😁

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Javed
    Inzi
    Younis

Younis the more consistent, of course, but Inzi more likely to frighten the best bowlers in the oppo so I'd be more likely to pick him in a Pak XI vs World XI game or something.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information