Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Now is the time: Who is Pakistan's best batsman? Miandad vs. Inzamam vs. Younis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Younis' figures are the best by miles. 34 tons v Miandad's 23 despite playing fewer tests. Unexpected
    Miandad faced better bowling attacks and played in an era where it was tougher to play as many tests so those numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt imo (not that I'm saying Miandad is clearly better than Younis - I think it's a toss-up).
    S.Kennedy, zorax and indiaholic like this.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Yes, an analyse of their dismissals tells you the bowling they faced,

Miandad: Dev, Lillee, Hadlee, Croft
    Younis: Herath, Steyn, Broad, McGrath

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Definitely seems to be a case in which most folks who have seen a decent amount of both Miandad & Younus seem to rate the former, but those slightly younger folks who didn't see much of Miandad and are instead mostly looking at their records think Younus.

I'm sure something like a Jayawardene vs, Crowe debate would see a similar pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Yes, an analyse of their dismissals tells you the bowling they faced,

Miandad: Dev, Lillee, Hadlee, Croft
    Younis: Herath, Steyn, Broad, McGrath
    And the rest for Miandad...... Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding, Thomson, Willis, to name a few.

Mo-Yo easily belongs in the damn conversation. Look at his 100s/match ratio compared to Miandad. Look at it.
    cricket rules brah

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Definitely seems to be a case in which most folks who have seen a decent amount of both Miandad & Younus seem to rate the former, but those slightly younger folks who didn't see much of Miandad and are instead mostly looking at their records think Younus.

I'm sure something like a Jayawardene vs, Crowe debate would see a similar pattern.
    Nah, I think Crowe still ranks ahead of most, possibly even Williamson to be honest when it's all said and done. He faced the hardest bowlers of the era as a youth batsman which destroyed his overall average and the end of his career was blighted by knee and back problems, but if you take the meat of his career between 1985 and 1994, his stats were unbelievable considering the era.

51 tests, 4333 runs @ 54.84, 16 tons, 13 half tons.

The only people who would rank Jayawardene ahead of him are those that never saw Crowe play and don't understand what a murderers row of bowling cricket in the 1980s and 1990s were.

Crowe not only had to face the likes of Garner, Holding, Marshall, Thomson, Lillee, Imran Khan, Botham, Willis, Qadir in their pomp at the start of his career, he also had to deal with the rising of Waqar, Wasim, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Ian Bishop, Warne, Donald

Banned
    And the rest for Miandad...... Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding, Thomson, Willis, to name a few.
    Yeah, look at the list that Crowe faced, remove the Pakistanis, add Hadlee into the mix instead and you've got the murderers row that Miandad faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    Nah, I think Crowe still ranks ahead of most, possibly even Williamson to be honest when it's all said and done. He faced the hardest bowlers of the era as a youth batsman which destroyed his overall average and the end of his career was blighted by knee and back problems, but if you take the meat of his career between 1985 and 1994, his stats were unbelievable considering the era.

51 tests, 4333 runs @ 54.84, 16 tons, 13 half tons.

The only people who would rank Jayawardene ahead of him are those that never saw Crowe play and don't understand what a murderers row of bowling cricket in the 1980s and 1990s were.

Crowe not only had to face the likes of Garner, Holding, Marshall, Thomson, Lillee, Imran Khan, Botham, Willis, Qadir in their pomp at the start of his career, he also had to deal with the rising of Waqar, Wasim, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Ian Bishop, Warne, Donald
    That was kind of the point I was making. People don't seem to have an appreciation that hardly any batsmen averaged in the 50s in the 70s, 80s & early 90s. To compare Mo Yo's record with Miandad thinking it's a fair thing to compare shows a lack of understanding about the different eras, & the bowlers they faced.

Yes, I was just reeling off the guys who got his wicket the most times. (I suspect he had a lot of success against those others which puts Miandad's calibre in perspective!!). They are both strong bowling eras really. McGrath could be on the first list. The 'Lillee era' (for lack of a better term) edges it though.

Banned
    McGrath + Warne + Gillespie is an ATG level bowling attack, potentially the best to ever have played when Gillespie was in form; but at the same period, England had a reasonably weak bowling outfit, Pakistan had the best opening bowling attack in the world but not much to back it, West Indies were at the tail end of Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop and about to embark on the weakness of the new era, NZ was fluffing around with all sorts of oddsorts.

So while I'll never claim that Aussie attack wasn't one of the best ever, the actual standards of the rest of the sides in say 1997 - 2007 wasn't quite there in comparison to 1982-1992

Mind, Miandad did struggle against the great West Indian outfit of that era (29.78). He also scored a lot of his runs against New Zealand, admittedly the Kiwis strongest era, and Indians. He performed reasonably well against England and to a lesser degree Australia also.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Mind, Miandad did struggle against the great West Indian outfit of that era (29.78). He also scored a lot of his runs against New Zealand, admittedly the Kiwis strongest era, and Indians. He performed reasonably well against England and to a lesser degree Australia also.
    nobody did exceptionally well against the WI of the time, with possible outliers like mohinder amarnath (who weren't great in general but played exceptional in WI)
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    nobody did exceptionally well against the WI of the time, with possible outliers like mohinder amarnath (who weren't great in general but played exceptional in WI)
    Between 1976 and 1982, Greg Chappell averaged 52.63 v West Indies. 1976 - 83, Gavaskar averaged 56.57

U19 12th Man
    Inzie was the best. I'll prove it with science.

My job used to take me to all the West Indian islands in the 1990s. During the 92 and 96 World Cups, all the bars would be filled early in the morning with chilling rasta men and big, hardback Afro West Indians. A tv would be on with the game, everyone drinking and cheering for the West Indies. People would be eating their breakfast and cheering for Ambrose and Lara.

But the only other team West Indians supported was Pakistan - for some completely inexplicable reason - and the Pakistani batsman they all knew was "dat Inzie man". Every damn rasta in those bars wanted to watch "dat fella Inzie". I never figured out if Inzie was some kind of joke to them, or some kind of Legend. All I know is that on some of the tiniest islands in the world, there were legions of rasta men who worshiped Inzie.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Inzy was great to watch,.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information