• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Maxwell - polarising figure

Blocky

Banned
I don't think anyone easily beats Maxwell in the field. He's a legit gun in the field.
It's not knocking his fielding at all to say Symonds was better, Symonds was the best fielder in a side that contained Mark Waugh and Ricky Ponting.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not knocking his fielding at all to say Symonds was better, Symonds was the best fielder in a side that contained Mark Waugh and Ricky Ponting.
You didn't just say better though.....you said "easily beats".

Personally I agree and would rank Symonds better than Maxwell in the field, but when your talking the top of the top tier like this its tiny margins between them and there are no "easily beats"

Maxwell is right up there.

Blocky

Banned
You didn't just say better though.....you said "easily beats".

Personally I agree and would rank Symonds better than Maxwell in the field, but when your talking the top of the top tier like this its tiny margins between them and there are no "easily beats"

Maxwell is right up there.
Fair points; I just remember Symonds doing far more brilliant things in the field than Maxwell, although Symonds also had a lot more games to show his stuff.

Spark

Global Moderator
Symonds was more capable of the absolutely spectacular but I'd still rate Ponting as the best all-round fieldsman in that side tbh.

Blocky

Banned
Arguably the best era for watching Cricket that one... pre all the T20 circus crap, ODI's still felt meaningful and Tests weren't predictable.

No one had the hands or could pull of the insane catches that Mark Waugh did, but wasn't as good of a ground fielder as the other two, and the other two were safe catchers too.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When we had Ponting, Symonds, (young) Clarke and Hussey in the inner ring it was pretty formidable.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the topic of Maxwell, not a comment on how good of a player he is, but he deadset looks so eerily similar to Ponting in stature and style in the way he fields/runs and some of the shots he plays (imo at least). Even has the hairy arms to boot.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Symonds was better than Rhodes
Not as an all round fielder. From what I have seen at least. Rhodes took the best reflex catches ever, was the most acrobatic fielder at backward point and didn't leave it up to chance at close range with direct hits and simply ran and dived at the stumps, knowing that he was quicker than the batsmen. It will be a subjective call and maybe the subject is worth a debate but my mind is made up that Jonty Rhodes was the best cricket fielder in the history of the game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rhodes was probably the quickest I'd ever seen to the ball. There was an extra "spectacle" to watching him, as he used to almost be running in when the bowler let go of the ball. That sort of thing went out in the next few years, where fielders wanted to be more balanced when the batsmen were hitting the ball to allow them to move 360 degrees better.

Tough to say as an "all round" fielder, as Rhodes was basically only ever at backward point.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not as an all round fielder. From what I have seen at least. Rhodes took the best reflex catches ever, was the most acrobatic fielder at backward point and didn't leave it up to chance at close range with direct hits and simply ran and dived at the stumps, knowing that he was quicker than the batsmen. It will be a subjective call and maybe the subject is worth a debate but my mind is made up that Jonty Rhodes was the best cricket fielder in the history of the game.
Jonty is up there with Ponting and Symonds as my top three fielders that I can remember watching. All three were amazing fielders. I'd say that Symonds was the most versatile and Ponting the best catcher of the three. Jonty possibly the most athletic. I really find it hard to split them.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Rhodes was probably the quickest I'd ever seen to the ball. There was an extra "spectacle" to watching him, as he used to almost be running in when the bowler let go of the ball. That sort of thing went out in the next few years, where fielders wanted to be more balanced when the batsmen were hitting the ball to allow them to move 360 degrees better.

Tough to say as an "all round" fielder, as Rhodes was basically only ever at backward point.
Not all-round in terms of the positions he fielded at. I meant the skills involved in fielding like athleticism, balance, reflexes etc.