• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Maxwell - polarising figure

Justo

U19 Debutant
I agree with most of the above. I think he has massive talent and probably should have been given more of a chance than he has so far (especially when you consider the opportunities M Marsh was given). IMO though he'll probably find it hard to get into the Test team since he rarely plays First Class cricket and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yea I'm starting to come around to the idea that the two biggest skills in batting are game sense/understanding where you can score runs/whatever you want to call it + mental concentration to not throw away a start.

All the technique and talent stuff is a distant third.
What you've described is the art of batsmanship.

SeamUp

International Coach
No brain cells & limited technique for the real tough moments. T20 bash is for him.

Loved how Clarke was calling for a slower ball on Friday for Maxwell and he finally got one and guess what it got Maxwell.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No brain cells & limited technique for the real tough moments. T20 bash is for him.

Loved how Clarke was calling for a slower ball on Friday for Maxwell and he finally got one and guess what it got Maxwell.
How you bowl to him is almost irrelevant most of the time. You could put the ball on a tee for him to hit wherever he wants and he'd still make 30 and then hit one straight to a fielder

Compton

International Debutant
He's 28 now and further away from the test team than ever as far as I can see. Late-comers like Hayden etc. all broke into the test team at around the age he is now. Time is running out. He ultimately only has himself to blame for not being more consistent in FC cricket and putting down the big runs. Having said that he doesn't get much of a chance when ODI scheduling etc. doesn't allow him to play much FC cricket, which is frustrating.
He's being talked about as an option for the next test match...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea I'm starting to come around to the idea that the two biggest skills in batting are game sense/understanding where you can score runs/whatever you want to call it + mental concentration to not throw away a start.

All the technique and talent stuff is a distant third.
Definitely this.

Glen Maxwell probably has more natural talent in his little finger than Alastair Cook possesses for eg.......yet Cook has eked out a long and successful test career and has done it with an armoury of 3-4 shots. Game awareness, know your scoring options and the risk/reward that goes with them, and the concentration/discipline and patience to wait on them.........theses attributes will always take you further in test cricket than any natural gift you may have.

Of course, some are lucky enough to have the complete package and they end up being the truly great batsmen.

I don't think it's right to call Maxwell dumb or stupid though. Whether he is or he isn't is irrelevant.......you don't have to be smart to be a cricketer. His limitations as a player don't have anything to do with his brains.

watson

Banned
Good thread Red Hill.

I think that Maxwell doesn't receive due credit because of his personality which is viewed as a negative.

Australians generally don't like individualists who stand-out from the crowd. For some myopic reason we view them as being little more than than selfish and arrogant, rather than as brilliant entertainers or ground-breakers.

Instead we seem to be far more comfortable with taciturn types like Steve Waugh who don't upset the status quo. Even if the status quo is predictable, boring and beige.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's 28 now and further away from the test team than ever as far as I can see. Late-comers like Hayden etc. all broke into the test team at around the age he is now. Time is running out. He ultimately only has himself to blame for not being more consistent in FC cricket and putting down the big runs. Having said that he doesn't get much of a chance when ODI scheduling etc. doesn't allow him to play much FC cricket, which is frustrating.
Just been picked in the test squad so ........

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People questioning Maxwell's technique are just plain wrong

As others have said, it's match awareness

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember once PEWS talking about Brendon McCullum here saying anyone can go in and play a lot of shots and have it come off once in 5 innings and then look like a great batsman who is not concentrating hard enough. Think it applies for Maxwell. Natural talent, even at its loosest definition, does not mean the ability to play a cover drive or a pull shot alone, it is also about being able to pick which ball to play that shot to. His whole attitude of "I base my shot on the field placings than the ball itself" is just the dumbest I have ever heard a cricketer say reg. the actual intricacies of the game. You cant cover drive a bouncer no matter what the field is. You just can't. Just because he times the ball well does not mean he is naturally "talented". Ability to read length and line is just as much a part of the "natural talent" of a batsman as anything, even in the way we use it around here, and he is, quite simply, not talented enough to be a test batsman, unless he puts in a lot of determination and hard work, which has worked for many others, some of these examples having been brought up in this very thread.

Lets stop pretending he is talented in the Hooper or others of that ilk style. He is not, plain and simple.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haha, Symonds and Maxwell are very similar players in all departments. I expect him to have a similar career trajectory. Symonds got 5000 ODI runs at 39. Let's see what Maxwell ends up with. Maybe by the time his career is over, he will change people's opinions about him slightly.

Blocky

Banned
Haha, Symonds and Maxwell are very similar players in all departments. I expect him to have a similar career trajectory. Symonds got 5000 ODI runs at 39. Let's see what Maxwell ends up with. Maybe by the time his career is over, he will change people's opinions about him slightly.
Symonds was a much better and more established first class cricketer than Maxwell though, and Symonds went through that golden period of form too where he basically couldn't get out for a cheap score.

I think Symonds is a much better all round cricketer to be fair, easily beats him with the bat and in the field, and probably with the ball ( medium or offies )

91Jmay

International Coach
What part is laughable?

It's barely even debatable
Just because you strike the ball cleanly and are stupid doesn't mean you becoming less stupid would mean you suddenly become an ATG. He would of course average more batting more sensibly, but the idea he'd become Virat Kohli by reigning it is is just so daft.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because you strike the ball cleanly and are stupid doesn't mean you becoming less stupid would mean you suddenly become an ATG. He would of course average more batting more sensibly, but the idea he'd become Virat Kohli by reigning it is is just so daft.
Nah you're greatly oversimplifying it

Compton

International Debutant
Symonds was a much better and more established first class cricketer than Maxwell though, and Symonds went through that golden period of form too where he basically couldn't get out for a cheap score.

I think Symonds is a much better all round cricketer to be fair, easily beats him with the bat and in the field, and probably with the ball ( medium or offies )
I don't think anyone easily beats Maxwell in the field. He's a legit gun in the field.