• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quickest bowlers of all-time by nation

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They can but your front foot still has to land behind the popping crease, meaning the distance between ball being released and reaching the batsman is constant.

In the old rules it seems you would land your backfoot behind the _bowling_ crease, then drag it forward, and then plonk your front foot down well ahead of the popping crease to shorten the distance. And if you were taller, you get more benefit from it.

Or maybe I'm wrong again IDK
How are you dragging your back foot before you put your front foot down?

Victor Ian

International Coach
That just looks so... weird??? He skates along on that back foot for a brief moment as if he had a ballerina's toe point with it's own engine. But it is smooth. I imagine, if he is sliding on it then he can't be imparting bone breaking stress through it. Just for the record, which foot are our weak modern bowlers getting their bone splints in?

Do we have any modern sliders?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had a slider at the Balmain Hotel the other night and it was quality.

Mostly they're no longer around though.

Which foot suffers bone splints really depends on the action of the bowler.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm trying to imagine how someone would do the dragging thing, and failing miserably.

This explains it pretty well. Umpires used to watch the back foot instead of the front, but players would only be a quarter thru their delivery stride and would then drag thru another metre or more, making it a big front foot no-ball by modern rulings.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

This explains it pretty well. Umpires used to watch the back foot instead of the front, but players would only be a quarter thru their delivery stride and would then drag thru another metre or more, making it a big front foot no-ball by modern rulings.
Around 1.00-1.30 is the best footage of it.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, they talk about suspect bowlers up until Adcock. Great doco that one. Same with the other one they did - Great Batsmen.

Daemon

Lynn, who has played one ODI and five T20s, maintains playing for his country isn't his priority.
Somehow I don't think that's what he meant from the words they quoted.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Especially with his action. Run->Jump->Freeze midair with lips in a weird frown and the ball close to his face->Release.

Also had that little jump away from the umpire IIRC. Prabhakar used to do that too.

BTW, I was watching an old 94 game against NZ (maybe 93) where they were showing bowling speeds. Think it was not recorded off the hand but he was not that far off Srinath, who was decidedly quick back then. Srinath was the first real "fast" bowler we had in my time of watching cricket and Prabhakar was only 5 or so Ks off his speed.

Zinzan

Somehow I don't think that's what he meant from the words they quoted.
Yeah that was taken out of context, which i thought when i heard it that it would be.

He basically said that you can't blame modern day cricketers putting family first and choosing to play T20 tournaments ahead of Internationals. He did say he loves the opportunity to play for Australia, but if it doesn't work out it's not the end of his world. I thought it was refreshing as opposed to hearing the usual stuff about bleeding for their countries and not caring about any other cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I didn't mix up bowling and popping crease. I speed read through wikipedia and assumed I understood the difference in rules when I posted it here when I clearly missed that subtle difference.

I'm a qualified umpired I know the difference plz.

Yes'd :p

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mostly agree..here's their fastest recorded speeds I could find

Aust - Lee 161.1 /Tait 161.1 /Thommo 160.6
England - Tyson - na
India - Srinath - 155.1
Pakistan - Akhtar – 161.3
SA - Steyn - 156.2 Brett Schultz - na
NZ - Bond - 156.4
West Indies - Andy Roberts - 159.5
Sri Lanka - Malinga - na
Zim - Streak - na
Bangers - Rubel - na
SL Malinga 156.5
ZIM - Andy Blignaut (Think he hit 91mph against WI)
BAN - Taskin Ahmed
AFG - Hassan (hit 148k, which was not at his fastest)