• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trigger movements and backlifts AKA Why Joe Root is an aesthetically poor batsman

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hold on, did someone just call Clarke universally popular?
Don't think so........I said I couldn't dislike him and thought he was a good lad. But I'm well aware of the fact he never won over the general Australian populous, probably one of the reasons I liked him tbh. The SCG crowd booing him in 2011 was one of the most shameful things I've ever heard.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
From King Cricket

Bat like Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Spend eight years riding horses for about 12 hours a day in order to get the correct bandy-legged gait.
  • When taking your guard, turn 90 degrees so that you’re facing the bowler as he runs in.
  • Try and do something – anything – unexpected with your elbows.
  • Practise scuttling.
Chanders was actually my favourite batsman to watch.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think so........I said I couldn't dislike him and thought he was a good lad. But I'm well aware of the fact he never won over the general Australian populous, probably one of the reasons I liked him tbh. The SCG crowd booing him in 2011 was one of the most shameful things I've ever heard.
Oh I mean this:

Why does everyone seem to hate on Smith? If it is because he has made your team lose i can accept that - after all - Hadlee is a wanker. But I get the impression this is not the reason and people are hating on Smith for personal reasons. Did he ever say something hateable? Did he grab an ice cream from a portly child? What's with the hate? He is blonder than Clarke and everyone loved that pup.
He was pretty popular on here though, and he was always very well received overseas as best as I know (I recall reading a lot of English journalists opining at how baffled they were at how he was seen in Australia during his last series)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I always ****ing hated Michael Clarke. I actually came to like him more as captain, the same as Ricky Ponting but for different reasons. But it was always tough to like him as a massive Watto fanboy.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I am mostly indifferent towards him and kinda loved him for a moment because of the 'broken ****ing arm' thing.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke triggers the sort of people I hate wrt cricket, so he's got that going for him.

Victor Ian

International Coach
All those Australian batsmen, aside from being bat downers also have the face of the bat showing to the bowler. Bradman's front faces his legs. Is this something unique to him? I read somewhere once that Bradman's grip was different and a reason for his success. Have other batsmen used it with success?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit to do with angles as well - if Neil Harvey was a right hander from that photo angle, you'd barely be able to see the face of his bat either.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit to do with angles as well - if Neil Harvey was a right hander from that photo angle, you'd barely be able to see the face of his bat either.
I forgot to mention harveys as well. Angles aside, you can see Bradman and Harvey's bats are about 90 degrees to the crease while the others are closer to parallel.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's because players back then were so unprofessional and unfit they had to lean on their bats for support

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I hate Clarke's whiny voice, the way he raises the tone of his sentences at the end of every sentence as if he is asking a question. A lot of young Aussies do this and it annoys the hell out of me.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I hate Clarke's whiny voice, the way he raises the tone of his sentences at the end of every sentence as if he is asking a question. A lot of young Aussies do this and it annoys the hell out of me.
We developed as a nation of the refuse of England. So we make every sentence into a question as if subconsciously seeking permission for that thought. It is your country's fault.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
We developed as a nation of the refuse of England. So we make every sentence into a question as if subconsciously seeking permission for that thought. It is your country's fault.
In fairness Alistair Cook does it a tiny little bit. Must have been an unfortunate habit he picked up on an Ashes tour.