• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trigger movements and backlifts AKA Why Joe Root is an aesthetically poor batsman

Bijed

International Regular
Tbh I just like that so many batsmen have their own distinctive little quirks in their technique, even if it only appears when playing one type of shot or something. Even if everyone batted with my idea of a 100% perfect to watch technique (don't even know what that would be for me), I think it would be less interesting than things as they stand in that regard.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well that is the beauty of cricket, the diversity. You have your classicists like Gower and Ian Bell and your sloggers like Botham and Stokes and your accumulators like Barrington and Cook and your innovators

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does everyone seem to hate on Smith? If it is because he has made your team lose i can accept that - after all - Hadlee is a wanker. But I get the impression this is not the reason and people are hating on Smith for personal reasons. Did he ever say something hateable? Did he grab an ice cream from a portly child? What's with the hate? He is blonder than Clarke and everyone loved that pup.
Not as good a bowler though.

There's been a few incidents I think when his conduct and general attitude, especially as captain, haven't exactly been exemplary. Nothing absolutely awful, as far as I remember, but bad enough and often enough to put some people off him. I personally have little patience for that sort of thing, though it doesn't make me wish for anyone to fail as a player.
What stuff for example?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why does everyone seem to hate on Smith? If it is because he has made your team lose i can accept that - after all - Hadlee is a wanker. But I get the impression this is not the reason and people are hating on Smith for personal reasons. Did he ever say something hateable? Did he grab an ice cream from a portly child? What's with the hate? He is blonder than Clarke and everyone loved that pup.
He's desperate to win and isn't afraid to be demonstrative when he has the ****s, particularly with his team mates.

In the participation trophy age, this is seen as a bad thing by those whose kids get beaten by and innings and three hundred but it's ok because "they tried".

Burner

International Regular
Why can't someone act like an asshole because they are an asshole. There doesn't have to be some ulterior motive.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Look of course it comes down to our national biases...........I'm kinda preconditioned to disliking Australian captains (which is why I'm glad Clarke isn't in the job now......could never muster the dislike for him and always thought he was a top lad)

It only takes a small thing and opposition supporters will latch onto it, I've seen the odd moment of petulance from Smith and that's enough for me. He is now and forever will be a ****. Just like Stuart Broad is a **** bloke for you guy's.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
In then Aussies' defense, Broad is a bit of a prat. I am a pom and even I have to admit that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That Kohli one, just silkily moving into the shot after a little shuffle. Love it.

Williamson's little movement the most traditional, just trying to get some movement so it begins the flow of movement. Interesting that all the batsmen are "bat up" at delivery.

An interesting read on bat-up, Joe Root and others from a disciple of the "traditional Australian batting methods" (i.e Greg Chappell follower on technique) from SB Tang.

Howe_zat

Audio File
From King Cricket

Bat like Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Spend eight years riding horses for about 12 hours a day in order to get the correct bandy-legged gait.
  • When taking your guard, turn 90 degrees so that you’re facing the bowler as he runs in.
  • Try and do something – anything – unexpected with your elbows.
  • Practise scuttling.

cnerd123

likes this
That Kohli one, just silkily moving into the shot after a little shuffle. Love it.

Williamson's little movement the most traditional, just trying to get some movement so it begins the flow of movement. Interesting that all the batsmen are "bat up" at delivery.

An interesting read on bat-up, Joe Root and others from a disciple of the "traditional Australian batting methods" (i.e Greg Chappell follower on technique) from SB Tang.
I read a theory somewhere that a lower backlift, or bat down, is preferred when the ball is moving a lot, as it takes less time to get the bat to the ball, allowing the batsman to play it later, but a high backlift or bat-up is preferable when batting on a flat pitch as it allows for more power, even if the batswing takes longer. Plus you play the short ball better, as you aren't lifting the bat all they way up to hit it, giving you more time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I read a theory somewhere that a lower backlift, or bat down, is preferred when the ball is moving a lot, as it takes less time to get the bat to the ball, allowing the batsman to play it later, but a high backlift or bat-up is preferable when batting on a flat pitch as it allows for more power, even if the batswing takes longer. Plus you play the short ball better, as you aren't lifting the bat all they way up to hit it, giving you more time.

Traditionally the English have been more "bat up".

Here the writer goes into a lot of detail about it, it's an interesting read again but in my eyes a little too supportive of the bat down theory.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/931739/the-downside-of-up

Last edited: