• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trigger movements and backlifts AKA Why Joe Root is an aesthetically poor batsman

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It works for him. I personally always enjoy Root's stroke play - not my favourite but still pleasing on the eye. A far more pressing issue with Root is his poor conversion rate.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really like watching Smith bat tbh. I don't mind an unorthodox trigger movement at all.
Same here. I find classical techniques boring as hell to watch.

Chanderpaul, Lara, Graeme Smith, Damien Martyn have all been favourites of mine.

OverratedSanity

Same here. I find classical techniques boring as hell to watch.

Chanderpaul, Lara, Graeme Smith, Damien Martyn have all been favourites of mine.
Yep, although enjoying watching someone's batting is different to calling it pretty. I enjoyed watching G Smith bat too, doesn't mean I found his batting pretty.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
One factor I feel you may be overlooking is how Root's crouch and forward-press could be in relation to that delivery - as that's a good-length ball from Johnson. I'm sure Root can at times pre-empt what a bowler will aim to do/where it's going to pitch through the bowler's arm speed or how he's trying to set him up. Essentially, Root's 'pushing forward' in that clip as a reaction to the delivery. For example, there's no way that's he's in any sort of position to play the short ball if Johnson decided to bowl bone.

indiaholic

International Captain
Thanks for this thread.. Can finally see it. Because the rest of it is so well put together, I didn't see the ugliness. Kohli is what I would think of as the most aesthetically pleasing of the lot. But then I jerk off to pre trigger movement Tendulkar which most people would consider peak robotic.

indiaholic

International Captain
When viewed from side on, Root has an absolutely gorgeous response to full pitched deliveries.. The small forward step followed by the stride is always on such a good cadence.

OverratedSanity

Root's stance and backlift are a lot like Graham Gooch's and I don't think his batting was really considered a feast for the eyes.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I love watching batsmen with unorthodox stances bat and succeed. One of the great joys I get out of cricket.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yes. I've mentioned this before, the modern day raised bat trigger movement negates the possibility of true elegance. And obviously Martyn's gentle tap was the most glorious. :D

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why does everyone seem to hate on Smith? If it is because he has made your team lose i can accept that - after all - Hadlee is a wanker. But I get the impression this is not the reason and people are hating on Smith for personal reasons. Did he ever say something hateable? Did he grab an ice cream from a portly child? What's with the hate? He is blonder than Clarke and everyone loved that pup.

Bijed

International Regular
Why does everyone seem to hate on Smith? If it is because he has made your team lose i can accept that - after all - Hadlee is a wanker. But I get the impression this is not the reason and people are hating on Smith for personal reasons. Did he ever say something hateable? Did he grab an ice cream from a portly child? What's with the hate? He is blonder than Clarke and everyone loved that pup.
There's been a few incidents I think when his conduct and general attitude, especially as captain, haven't exactly been exemplary. Nothing absolutely awful, as far as I remember, but bad enough and often enough to put some people off him. I personally have little patience for that sort of thing, though it doesn't make me wish for anyone to fail as a player.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I actually like his crab like shuffle. He takes line out of the equation. I'd much rather watch Smith bat than Warner. ****e captain though.