• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Test & ODI Rankings

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
ICC Test Rankings

1 Australia 125
2 South Africa 113
3 Pakistan 102
4 England 101
5 India 100
6 New Zealand 100
7 Sri Lanka 96
8 West Indies 82
9 Zimbabwe 55
10 Bangladesh 1

ICC ODI Rankings

1 Australia 135
2 South Africa 113
3 Sri Lanka 109
4 New Zealand 109
5 India 107
6 Pakistan 106
7 England 106
8 West Indies 100
9 Zimbabwe 64
10 Kenya 28
11 Bangladesh 3

Do you all here agree with these ICC rankings?

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
The test ratings are ok but I don't quite agree with Sri Lanka being third in OD, perhaps India or New Zealand

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The systems are fundamentally flawed for more reasons than I can be bothered to go into here - the biggest being their dependence on the team's last couple of series - so if a team has a couple of easy-ish home series in a row, they are boosted ridiculously, and if a team has difficult tours, they plummet.

See the official CW rankings for a vastly superior system :)

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
The systems are fundamentally flawed for more reasons than I can be bothered to go into here - the biggest being their dependence on the team's last couple of series - so if a team has a couple of easy-ish home series in a row, they are boosted ridiculously, and if a team has difficult tours, they plummet.

See the official CW rankings for a vastly superior system :)
Nothing like getting in some own rankings so promotion :P ;) :alien384: :frog:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
thierry henry said:
If NZ beat SA then we'll go up a place or two, right?? Then I think the rankings will be fair enough.
If you pickup 3 points you go from 6th to 3rd.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
The test rankings look reasonable enough to me.

But SL at 3 in ODIS is surprising -- I am assuming they have a very good ODI record at home. But What about their record away ?

The 3rd Umpire

Cricket Spectator
Ford_GTHO351 said:
ICC Test Rankings

1 Australia 125
2 South Africa 113
3 Pakistan 102
4 England 101
5 India 100
6 New Zealand 100
7 Sri Lanka 96
8 West Indies 82
9 Zimbabwe 55
10 Bangladesh 1

ICC ODI Rankings

1 Australia 135
2 South Africa 113
3 Sri Lanka 109
4 New Zealand 109
5 India 107
6 Pakistan 106
7 England 106
8 West Indies 100
9 Zimbabwe 64
10 Kenya 28
11 Bangladesh 3
TESTS - Rankings usually don't mean much ( unless a foolproof system was devised ) as they don't always tell the full story. Based on Australia's experiences over the last decade, I would say India, NZ and Sri Lanka are underrated, while England and Pakistan are overrated. Mind you, there is not much between No.3 and No.7.

Can't dispute the top 2 though, most would agree with that, while India appears the only nation capable of challenging these two over the next 5 years. Unless Pakistan rediscover their amazing teenage production line. Anything could happen with them.

ODI - Apart from Sri Lanka's No.3 ranking, these appear accurate enough, but form can change quickly in the short game. Only 9 points between No.3 and No.8, so this could change in 2 months. :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka's home form in ODI's has been mixed recently hasn't it?

They won the England series thanks to the demolition in the 1st ODI & then good fortune with the weather.

But they also lost the tri-series which also featured NZ & Pakistan.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim said:
Sri Lanka's home form in ODI's has been mixed recently hasn't it?

They won the England series thanks to the demolition in the 1st ODI & then good fortune with the weather.

But they also lost the tri-series which also featured NZ & Pakistan.
Then how come they're number 3 ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Nothing like getting in some own rankings so promotion :P ;) :alien384: :frog:
I don't even bother checking the ICC rankings any more - Neil's are so much more 'accurate', if you can have such a thing.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I don't look at the ICC rankings......I already know Australia is still on top, so why do I have to look?:D

Beleg

International Regular
The 3rd Umpire posted,

Can't dispute the top 2 though, most would agree with that, while India appears the only nation capable of challenging these two over the next 5 years. Unless Pakistan rediscover their amazing teenage production line. Anything could happen with them.
While Australia deservedly is the top test nation in the world, I won't back your claim on South Africa. They were recently defeated both by Pakistan and NZ.

There isn't much between 2-7 for me.

Asif.S

Cricket Spectator
Ford_GTHO351 said:
ICC Test Rankings

1 Australia 125
2 South Africa 113
3 Pakistan 102
4 England 101
5 India 100
6 New Zealand 100
7 Sri Lanka 96
8 West Indies 82
9 Zimbabwe 55
10 Bangladesh 1

ICC ODI Rankings

1 Australia 135
2 South Africa 113
3 Sri Lanka 109
4 New Zealand 109
5 India 107
6 Pakistan 108
7 England 106
8 West Indies 100
9 Zimbabwe 64
10 Kenya 28
11 Bangladesh 3

Do you all here agree with these ICC rankings?
I think Pakistan deserves higher rank than india in ODI.Pak plays comparingly much better than Indians.Howcome then Indians are at 5 and Pak is at 6.I suppose it should be at 3 or 4 rank.Please consider my opinion

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Asif.S said:
I think Pakistan deserves higher rank than india in ODI.Pak plays comparingly much better than Indians.Howcome then Indians are at 5 and Pak is at 6.I suppose it should be at 3 or 4 rank.Please consider my opinion
This is a very old discussion thread, and the ICC rantings ( :D ) shown in them are out of date.