• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests The Way To Go

I take it your are not ''LOL'' are people using a Pakistan dead rubber as a proof.

Besides, you have just defeated your own argument. Assuming four days would have to be uniform, the Ashes would be four day also. Bang. You've just lost five days in England and five days in Oz that sell extremely well and are (both) played out every two years. You've just removed spectators and money in those two countries. Well done.

Ah no. 5th days (of it even gets there) are still poorly attended. Will still get just as many over a 4 day game. And again, that's the ashes. It's played between two teams every 2yrs. How about all the teams and the dozens of other matches in the interim?

It's day 2 of the Sydney test match in the middle of the holiday period. Of course there will be a good crowd. Let's see how many turn up on day 4 or 5.

Back to the drawing board cobber!

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Totally short sighted and backward thinking. See above for the benefits with every one of your concerns addressed and debunked.
That's because you are backward thinking.
This is textbook backward thinking. Sad.

The reason we would like to see changes is actually the complete opposite - we love the game. It's dying though unfortunately and you'd have to have your head in the sand not to see it.
LOL @ people using the Ashes as "proof" test cricket isnt dying. The ashes are the pinnacle of the format. It's like saying badminton is popular with spectators because it sells out at the Olympics every 4 years. Embarrassing stuff!
What's embarrassing is you and your attitude. If you can't make a point without insulting other posters you should at least go do it on reddit or 4chan.

What's embarrassing is you and your attitude. If you can't make a point without insulting other posters you should at least go do it on reddit or 4chan.

You got me, I should be terribly embarrassed that I'm 100% correct. Should be terribly embarrassed at correcting people's incorrect thought processes. Your post is what's wrong with the world - the willingness to accept mediocrity.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
With regards four day test matches, I think the ICC would have to factor in the knowledge that rain would bring about a more pronounced effect, so I really can't see this being used. If the 1st day is rained off you're basically playing a guessing game with mother nature. But I don't know, are spectators disappointed if a match is drawn? It would be hard to quantify.

S.Kennedy

Ah no. 5th days (of it even gets there) are still poorly attended. Will still get just as many over a 4 day game. And again, that's the ashes. It's played between two teams every 2yrs. How about all the teams and the dozens of other matches in the interim?

It's day 2 of the Sydney test match in the middle of the holiday period. Of course there will be a good crowd. Let's see how many turn up on day 4 or 5.

Back to the drawing board cobber!
The Ashes is sold out four days and usually 70 - 80% full (if not full) on a fifth day!!! How can reducing the ashes to four days possibly get as many as five days?

With regards four day test matches, I think the ICC would have to factor in the knowledge that rain would bring about a more pronounced effect, so I really can't see this being used. If the 1st day is rained off you're basically playing a guessing game with mother nature. But I don't know, are spectators disappointed if a match is drawn? It would be hard to quantify.

Potential for rain is definitely an issue that complicates things. Needs to be thought out. Like the colour of the ball there's no simple solution at this stage.

The Ashes is sold out four days and usually 70 - 80% full (if not full) on a fifth day!!! How can reducing the ashes to four days possibly get as many as five days?

Really? They get 90,000 to the MCG for the first 4 days? I must have missed that. :laugh:

And once again, half day ticketing would ensure that you can sell more than the ground can hold. How many times does that have to be knocked into your head??

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Lord's, Oval will sell a 4th day and possibly a fifth. Most of them will sell extremely well on a 4th/5th day if there is a contest. Look at the footage. People buy tickets on the day.

Even if you get 50% (which would be exceptionally poor) on a fifth day Ashes, you are still getting those possible gate receipts that you wouldn't have in a four day test. I mean the players and media are already there so it is not as if there is excessive logistical and economic overheads with the fifth day. Besides, look at the benefits of a fifth day that does not sell out? Fifth days can be wonderful,

Reduced or free (child friendly) pricing. Ideal for people priced out on the earlier days

You are probably seeing a result

It usually is over quicker than the three allocated sessions so good for short attention spans

More relaxed environment (able to choose a seat).

Is there actually anything wrong with the above beyond an excessive pecuniary motivated ideal to sell a cricket venue out maximum as if it is a premiership football game?

Oh so you're only talking about 1 test series every 4 years. That's even worse! You need to stop thinking that the marquee series of world cricket is the norm. It's not. It's an outlier.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and you do realise people can leave any time they want to right? It's not compulsory to attend from the start of play to the end. :laugh:
I already addressed your second point in an earlier post I made; so:

Again, do you even read posts?
The marathon day for spectators issue has already been addressed by offering half day tickets.
So not only are you reducing the days from five to four which knocks off a day of ticket sales that you need to make up with higher attendance on other days, you're also introducing cheaper half-day tickets that cannibalise full-day sales and hoping that it still has a positive effect on your bottom line. Even if we're only looking at the immediate financials and ignoring everything else, you'd need some very good data to back up the idea that net sales would increase, to say the least.

There's also nothing stopping introduction of part-day tickets to existing 5-day test matches btw, if they're such a good idea. Presumably a few cricket boards would have looked at this in the past, and yet such part-day tickets are a rarity.

You also still haven't addressed that it's a marathon day for players.

S.Kennedy

Oh so you're only talking about 1 test series every 4 years. That's even worse! You need to stop thinking that the marquee series of world cricket is the norm. It's not. It's an outlier.
'1 test series every four years'? It is a bilateral thing so only a year lapses between the end of the Australian and the beginning of the English,

2006 - 7
2010 -11

Listen, you requested that I elaborate on my disagreement with four day tests and I have certainly given it. No use getting stroppy now.

DriveClub

International Regular
Interesting inputs from fred and it deserves more thoughtful input than what kennedy and strawman are offering. I'd confidently say test cricket is dead in countries like SL, WI, PAK(also due to other reasons). NZ and SA(it has other issues anyway which puts its long term future in question) get minimal interest in test cricket from majority of sports fans in their countries. India is unpredictable, it doesn't get big crowds for tests but their players like Kohli still have star power which might draw the crowds now and again. Basically test cricket is healthy in only England and Australia. I read that the host boards actually lose money when they host a test series between non big 3 countries, it's actually a sad state of affairs, cricket is actually one of the most expensive games to play and I'm not sure how cricketers from developing countries will be able to compete with developed countries like AUS & ENG in an expensive game like Test cricket as the gap is widening between the cricketers from the rich boards and the poor ones. In 20 years I predict Ashes to be the only form of test cricket to be played.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting inputs from fred and it deserves more thoughtful input than what kennedy and strawman are offering.
That's funny, thought mine and kennedy's inputs were fairly thoughtful and well-reasoned, while 'fred' barely provided any substance and spent a lot of his time being dismissive when others pointed this out to him.

If you want to improve the lot of test cricket then we need actual solutions that provide real benefits, like day-night tests.

S.Kennedy

Interesting inputs from fred and it deserves more thoughtful input than what kennedy and strawman are offering. I'd confidently say test cricket is dead in countries like SL, WI, PAK(also due to other reasons). NZ and SA(it has other issues anyway which puts its long term future in question) get minimal interest in test cricket from majority of sports fans in their countries. India is unpredictable, it doesn't get big crowds for tests but their players like Kohli still have star power which might draw the crowds now and again. Basically test cricket is healthy in only England and Australia. I read that the host boards actually lose money when they host a test series between non big 3 countries, it's actually a sad state of affairs, cricket is actually one of the most expensive games to play and I'm not sure how cricketers from developing countries will be able to compete with developed countries like AUS & ENG in an expensive game like Test cricket as the gap is widening between the cricketers from the rich boards and the poor ones. In 20 years I predict Ashes to be the only form of test cricket to be played.
In my defense, upon being asked to elaborate, I replied with lengthy replies stating my reasons for the five day game, most of which got ignored or dismissed with glib remarks; I do not see how I could have been more thoughtful in my replies just because you agree with Fred and disagree with me.

DriveClub

International Regular
In my defense, upon being asked to elaborate, I replied with lengthy replies stating my reasons for the five day game, most of which got ignored or dismissed with glib remarks; I do not see how I could have been more thoughtful in my replies just because you agree with Fred and disagree with me.
Sorry I was just in the mood for a rant, I like going on rants

Dick Rockett

NZ ... get minimal interest in test cricket from majority of sports fans
I can't speak for other countries, but this simply isn't the case here in NZ. There's plenty of interest in tests (media coverage, cultural and general awareness, social and 'water cooler' discussion, etc) and attendance is generally good.

What is obvious is that all sports in this country have suffered a decline in live audiences in the last 10-15 years. Even the mighty Rugby Union used to be able to rely on full houses at domestic games but now can only really bank on bumper crowds at marquee tests against the likes of Australia or South Africa.

The reasons for this are many, but the biggest factors are likely that people have to work long hours these days and in their free time can choose from easier, cheaper entertainment options such as ********* TV. Adding the cost of tickets and concessions, cold and characterless stadia, overbearing security and piped-in 'atmosphere' no doubt doesn't help.

These are problems for all forms of cricket. Although day/night tests may seem like a panacea, it will be interesting to see if attendances can be sustained once the novelty wears off. T20 already seems to be seeing declines and even well-attended matches have nothing on the old packed houses of the 80s and 90s.

I'm skeptical of the idea that test cricket is dying. The voices usually calling loudest for it to be truncated are the ones who would benefit financially from less test cricket and more T20. The same folk were clamouring for the death of ODIs not too long ago.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
4 or 5-day Tests, I'm not of any opinion. I'll deal with it.
As for 5 batsmen, a keeper and 5 bowler teams, well, all Australia has to find is a keeper who can average 40+, a consistent spinner and bang, got 'im!:cool:
Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Keeper
Cummins
Starc
Pattinson
Hazlewood
Spinner