• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ranji Trophy Final

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mumbai v Tamil Nadu starting tomorrow at the Chidambaram stadium in Chennai.

Obviously all Indian eyes are on events in Pakistan but this is a highly important fixture with a view to next season.
There are a number of players who harbour ambitions of playing for India next season:
Mumbai : Jaffer, Mane, Salvi, Munaf, Bahutule.
TN: Ramesh, Sriram, Vidyuth and Dinesh Karthik are some of the prominent ones.

Mumbai start hot favourites but on home turf TN will fancy their chances.
Who do people think will win and which players will shine ?

Craig

World Traveller
I wouldnt want Muanf coming into the Indian set up for at least another two years to prove himself.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I want Tamil Nadu to win.

I hope Dinesh Karthik shines as i heard that he is a good keeper and is a very good batsman too. He scored a century in Semis and was very impressed with his captaincy from whatever i saw of him in the U-19 WC. Salvi i thought was a very talented bowler but injuries are effecting him :(

chris.hinton

International Captain
For those who are bothered, here is a brief check on what happened in the Indian Domestic Season

Elite Groups

Group A

Powerhouses Mumbai won this group with 22 points, Railways pipped Utter Pradesh by 1 points for the other Spot in the Semi finals. Kerala where Relegrated to the Plate Group as they only got 2 points

Group B

Tamil Nadu, Hyderabad and Karnataka all finished with 15 points, which Meant heatbreak for Karnataka as they Missed out on the Semi final stages, Rajastan finished Bottom with 4 points and this means they are Relegated

Knock Out Matches

Mumbai cruised towards another Ranji Trophy Final by Beating Hyderabad by an Innings and 52 runs, in the other Semi final tamil Nadu go though despite a Drawn match with Railways.

Plate Group Matches

Knock out Matches

Madhya Pradesh Beat Orissa by 5 Wickets, to Advance to the Final and Promotion to the Elite Group. In the Other semi final Maharashtra thrashed poor Haryana by 10 wickets to also get Promoted

Craig

World Traveller
I would put Tamil Nadu as favourites as they have a classier batting line-up with no SRT in it.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Craig, Mumbai is the better team in both dept especially with no Balaji in TN.

Kartik has scored another ton. He should get into the team in around 6 months if the favouritism towards Patel's age and baby looks ends

Salamuddin

International Debutant
vishnureddy said:
Craig, Mumbai is the better team in both dept especially with no Balaji in TN.

Kartik has scored another ton. He should get into the team in around 6 months if the favouritism towards Patel's age and baby looks ends
I agree Vishnu. Superb century from Kaarthick in a pressure situation against a high quality attack.

Parthiv will have to perform with both gloves and bat in Pakistan if he wants to keep Kaarthick out.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Avishkar Salvi 13-1-52-0-------------ouch!
Disappointing, since he's an India hopeful. On the other hand, Nilesh, who's not a national team prospect, seems to be quite effective. Sad.

Parthiv will have to perform with both gloves and bat in Pakistan if he wants to keep Kaarthick out.
Nayan Mongia is far better. Besides, I doubt if there is much difference between Ratra, Dahiya, MSK Prasad, Parthiv, VST Naidu and Karthik. I'd still stick with the best in India.

masterblaster

International Captain
Get over Nayan Mongia mate, no matter how good he was (and I agree, he was exceptionally good) he's never, ever coming back to Indian colours again.

He's around 33 or 34 years old now, his batting was never dynamite or dependable, so no matter how good he is, Ganguly, John Wright and the Indian heirarchy dont want him in the team.

Mongia has the same chance of getting into the Indian team as Robin Smith does in getting into the English one.

Mongia is past his prime, and picking him instead of talented youngsters such as Parthiv Patel or Dinesh Kartik is taking a backward step in Indian Cricket.

Mongia had his long run of over 150 ODI matches and over 50 tests, his run is sadly over.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Get over Nayan Mongia mate, no matter how good he was (and I agree, he was exceptionally good) he's never, ever coming back to Indian colours again.
If he doesn't the Indians will have problems with wicketkeeping for a long time. Why complain aobut wicketkeepers who can't keep, when the best in the business is not picked? He is far better than all the Patels, Ratras and Naidus.

He's around 33 or 34 years old now, his batting was never dynamite or dependable, so no matter how good he is, Ganguly, John Wright and the Indian heirarchy dont want him in the team.
Age is just a number. It's skill and fitness that counts- Nayan scores over the so-called talented youngsters by a long way. If the people in command don't know what's good for the team, it's their problem. They're already feeling the pinch, but refuse to admit it.

Mongia has the same chance of getting into the Indian team as Robin Smith does in getting into the English one.
And who's Robin Smith? He's much older, I suppose. He's not the best batsman in England, just average at this stage. But Nayan's still a quality keeper.

Mongia is past his prime, and picking him instead of talented youngsters such as Parthiv Patel or Dinesh Kartik is taking a backward step in Indian Cricket.
Persisting with these so-called talented youngsters may or may not pay off, but are they really better than the best available? Not Parthiv- he's muffed up several chances. Not Ratra- his technique is not special, it's all speed and reflexes. And who's this Dinesh Karthik? He has to play a lot more in lower matches first.

Mongia had his long run of over 150 ODI matches and over 50 tests, his run is sadly over.
Which is why Anil Kumble has never had confidence in any keeper since. Which is why spinners have never been so effective now.

If the Indians have to solve their wicketkeeping problem, they have to go in with their best option. Don't bother about batting- if you want one wicketkeeper who can bat, he should bat as well as the top-6. There's Pankaj Dharmani, but he's another Dravid, with slightly more experience with the gloves. It's not their fault if the people that matter don't want to solve this problem that is now getting bigger.

shankar

International Debutant
TN 294 all out Mumbai- 236 for no loss :!(

TN's battiing in the first innings was awful with the exception of a memorable 100 by Dinesh Karthik.There was no discipline.Sriram actually got out playing a reverse sweep :O .Tamil Nadu are sorely missing the services of Balaji in the bowling dept.

Craig

World Traveller
jamesryfler said:
I agree Vishnu. Superb century from Kaarthick in a pressure situation against a high quality attack.

Are you picking Karthik from u-19 form or from state cricket form?

I dont think you pick a wicket-keeper at his age to 'pick and flick'. In that I mean you dont pick somebody for a few games and axe him for somebody else.

Unless he makes himself to look like an idiot, I dont think he will go. He isnt as bad as what some people make him out to be.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
if thats what counted for indian selectors they would never have dropped robin smith
You mean Robin Singh? He was still good enough to play in the team, though there would be a problem, given the coaching jobs he got.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
ya, thats what i meant. i'm sure he would have liked to play for a couple of years before coaching. I couldnt believe they tried bangar but refused to take him.