• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 leg byes

TNT

Banned
Does the leg bye rule make sense in this situation.

The batsman play a shot off a ball that grazes the pad first and hits a six. The fielding team appeals and the batsman is given out LBW.

The ball hit the pad first so it becomes a leg bye until it then hits the bat which then becomes legitimate shot and scored runs but is given LBW because it struck the pads first.

I understand the laws and why it would be out but technically it does not make sense.

Shady Slim

International Coach
the moment the batsman's is given out lbw anything that happened after the ball hit the pad is considered dead ball afaik, so ball on bat going for six would be null

TNT

Banned
the moment the batsman's is given out lbw anything that happened after the ball hit the pad is considered dead ball afaik, so ball on bat going for six would be null
I realise that but it would be a leg bye but becomes a legitimate shot if it then hits the bat, should the same apply to LBW so that it becomes a legitimate shot if it then hits the bat.

TNT

Banned
ah so you're asking if pad then bat should still be considered lbw?
That's the technical side of it, the ball hits the pad first so its LBW but with the leg bye it changes if it hits the bat after and becomes a legitimate shot. Why not make the rule the same for both i.e. hits the pad first and gets hit for six so it becomes six leg byes.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ah so you're asking if pad then bat should still be considered lbw?
Yeah, I must admit, I'm wondering what the 6 has to do with anything.

My understanding is if there's an pad-first then bat LBW review where a run was taken, if it's reviewed and it's decided it's not out... the batsman get a run as opposed to being a leg-bye.

In the very unlikely instance it went for 6, it would be the same.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's the technical side of it, the ball hits the pad first so its LBW but with the leg bye it changes if it hits the bat after and becomes a legitimate shot. Why not make the rule the same for both i.e. hits the pad first and gets hit for six so it becomes six leg byes.
My understanding may be wrong then, I thought if it's pad first, then bat, it's still given as runs and not leg byes, assuming it's not out of course.

TNT

Banned
You are right, my question is should it be the same for leg byes and LBW's, on LBW's the rule does not make it a legitimate shot if the ball then hits the bat but with leg byes it does.

Bijed

International Regular
Do you mean if a batsmen was struck outside the line whilst not playing a shot, it should be considered that they were playing a shot if the ball ricochets off the pad onto their bat?

TNT

Banned
Do you mean if a batsmen was struck outside the line whilst not playing a shot, it should be considered that they were playing a shot if the ball ricochets off the pad onto their bat?
With leg byes it does, If the batsman is struck on the pads whilst not playing a shot and the ball ricochets onto the bat any runs scored will be credited to the batsman.

Bijed

International Regular
I see what you're saying, but I don't think that if your pads have just prevented you from being bowled you should get away with it if the ball happens to bounce onto your bat (or glove, I guess) afterwards. Unless you're saying that you think it's the leg-bye side of things which is wrong here, which I can agree with.

I may also be misunderstanding you here, what with it being 10 past 1 in the morning, apologies if this is the case.

TNT

Banned
I see what you're saying, but I don't think that if your pads have just prevented you from being bowled you should get away with it if the ball happens to bounce onto your bat (or glove, I guess) afterwards. Unless you're saying that you think it's the leg-bye side of things which is wrong here, which I can agree with.

I may also be misunderstanding you here, what with it being 10 past 1 in the morning, apologies if this is the case.

I just think its an abnormality for a shot to be declared legitimate depending on whether the ball would have hit the stumps or not.

Bijed

International Regular
I agree, but to me it would make more sense that if it was pad first then it's always leg byes even if it hits the bat later, unless of course you're out LBW. No inconsistency and you actually have to hit the ball as part of your shot to get runs against your name, which seems sensible.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Correct. Sixes are only scored off the bat. Byes or leg byes that clear the rope should be called fours.