• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abrasive characters

Langeveldt

Soutie
A lot is made about how cricket is a gentlemans game, played by a load of genuinely nice guys...

But who would you guys genuinely not like to have a beer with if presented with the oppertunity???

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I don't think there is any player I would not want to have a beer with. To meet any cricketer would be a good way to get an insight into the game.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Abdul Razzaq.. Mainly because I would be tempted to smash his fingers one by one for missing teldunker's catch in the world cup game between India and Pakistan. It was a dolly!!!!!

regrads

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
Ganguly, Hussain, Caddick, Mark Richardson.
The first 3 there I would jump at the chance to share a Beer with - Ganguly because he can afford to pay, Hussain because he is in my mind one of the best cricketing minds and guttsiest players around, and Caddick because I'd love to try and get to know the man behind the performer.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol yeah interesting that....the few times Richardson has played for my club this season he's been more than happy to go around the tables at the bar & share stories.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would LOVE to have a beer with any of the players I have insulted in DD's column, but my absolute favourite would have to be David Lloyd (ok, Eyes : I'd like to have a coke with Simon Taufel to do an interview.)

It might be dangerous having a beer with either AA or Jug-Ears, especially if we sit next to the door on a windy day. I might get battered to death by the ears.

Nope, I've got it. Me and the duck would HATE to have a pint with Crystal Gayle and the rest of the West Indian slip cordon. They'd be dropping glasses of beer on us all the time.

Rich2001

International Captain
Umm tough one as apprantly alot of players are so different when given a bat or ball in their hands but probley although not a player he is part of the game.

P.Anderson (Somerset Boss) from things I've seen and read etc he sounds a.....

Craig

World Traveller
Mecnun said:
Abdul Razzaq.. Mainly because I would be tempted to smash his fingers one by one for missing teldunker's catch in the world cup game between India and Pakistan. It was a dolly!!!!!

regrads
Was going to make a comment about Razzaq and drinking beer but Cricketweb legal restrications prevent me from doing so.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
The South African players, with the exception in recent times of Pollock, come across as being fairly humourless and I'd also try to avoid McGrath (pyscho), Vaughan (bore) and Lehmann (a racist - or at least he was last year - and I expect his ugliness would be off-putting at close quarters).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Inzi, Macgrath, Laxman
I'd love to share a pie with Inzy, but I've a feeling he'd be like the nodding dog in the Churchill Insurance advert.

Inzy, could you save me any of that lovely big pie?

Mmmmmgh no (choke)

Langeveldt

Soutie
garage flower said:
The South African players, with the exception in recent times of Pollock, come across as being fairly humourless
Spend a few minutes with Herschelle Gibbs and Makhaya Ntini :)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
id jump at the chance of meeting any international player! (I have already met a few). Even guys i dont particularly like...symonds, i still wanna meet em

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yep same here, i would love to share a drink with any top class cricketer. There wouldnt be many who i wouldnt like to have a drink with.

Garage flower, thats a very bold thing to say about lehmann mate. Over 1 racial slurr that he said you label him a racist? In that case 3/4 of the world would be a racist in your eyes, as most have expressed a racial slur or participated in a racial orientated joke at one time or another.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Yep same here, i would love to share a drink with any top class cricketer. There wouldnt be many who i wouldnt like to have a drink with.

Garage flower, thats a very bold thing to say about lehmann mate. Over 1 racial slurr that he said you label him a racist? In that case 3/4 of the world would be a racist in your eyes, as most have expressed a racial slur or participated in a racial orientated joke at one time or another.
There's a not very subtle difference between a racial orientated joke and referring to Sri Lankan players as - if I remember rightly - "f***in' black c****". The latter certainly suggests an inherently racist attitude even if it was in the heat of the moment (as many of his apologists argued at the time).