• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds !

Legglancer

State Regular
It's time for the Aussie board to start treating Katich with some sort of decency and impartialty ... my heat goes out to him .... Time for Symonds to be sent back .

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Now Kaitch has been so unlucky not to play in the last two tests.

I think the time has come to select him and drop Symonds for the third test.

Craig

World Traveller
Give him this Test to prove himslef, if not go back to SM.

Katich however when he gets his chance again will have to show he is more then a one series wonder.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:
Yes.

Symonds is only in the Test team because of his best mate Ricky Ponting.

Conspiracy.
What a load of crap.

Symonds is in the team for the versatility that he provides. Before the Test series, noone knew how Warne would perform, MacGill had been bowling rubbish and there was every likelyhood that one of the pace bowlers would breakdown (going on the past tests)

It is only because Warne and Kasprowicz have been bowling so well that he hasn't really been needed in that department and he has got a couple of rough calls when batting.

The selectors always said that they are picking the team for the conditions. In reality Damien Martyn should have been dropped for Katich before the tests started, but he has performed very well. Just because Symonds is not an automatic world beater you want to drop him.

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
Craig said:
Give him this Test to prove himslef, if not go back to SM.

Katich however when he gets his chance again will have to show he is more then a one series wonder.
I tend to agree here, I know Symo hasn't set the world on fire but he has earnt a place on his recent One Day form and it's not like the Australian team as a whole have been a huge succes with the bat so it's not like it has just been Symo failing.

I think Symo was just given this series as a test anyway (if he did well good, if not Katich is there on a pitch more suited to him next time), he is a top batsman verse spin and can bowl handy off spin. You need to remember that Katich was picked as a batsman that could bowl a handy amount of overs and currently he has a injury that is preventing him doing so which means Australia wouldn't have a backup bowler apart from possibley Lehmann but even he hasn't been bowling either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
mavric41 said:
In reality Damien Martyn should have been dropped for Katich before the tests started
Oh yes, because his averaging over 40 for the past so many consecutive series and his overall record just cried out for him to be dropped.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Katich should of been playing this test, fair enough Symonds got his chance in the 1st and 2nd but Katich should of been picked. Wrong decision, usually when you're dropped you do something wrong, or someone else does something better than you. Neither of those criteria fits Katich's situation.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Oh yes, because his averaging over 40 for the past so many consecutive series and his overall record just cried out for him to be dropped.
The funny thing is, they were dying to get him back into the Test team after he was injured last year (ie dropping Love after his 100), and then 6 Tests later that was supposed to have all changed and they should'nt have wanted him?

Still, I gave up trying to convince people of this. I think his series thus far says it all really.

EDIT: I probably should stick to topic and add that I agree Katich should be playing this Test (cricinfo says he is... is he or not?!), in fact shouldve been playing all 3 ahead of Symonds.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
mavric41 said:
What a load of crap.
Symonds is in the team for the versatility that he provides. Before the Test series, noone knew how Warne would perform, MacGill had been bowling rubbish and there was every likelyhood that one of the pace bowlers would breakdown (going on the past tests)
so katich doesnt provide any versatility?he is a much better bowler than symonds and IMO a better batsman who has actually proved himself at the test level...yet he doesnt get to keep his place.

mavric41 said:
The selectors always said that they are picking the team for the conditions. In reality Damien Martyn should have been dropped for Katich before the tests started, but he has performed very well. Just because Symonds is not an automatic world beater you want to drop him. [/B]
IMO there was always class in martyn...we saw that he can score in the sub continent as he did in the ODI series in india.the problem with martyn is that hes the sorta player who relies completely on form. if hes in form he'll score and if he isnt, u wont see him hanging around there.symonds is decent...katich is better

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I just overheard from the TV which my brother is watching that Katich is in fact playing this test. That's good news, I haven't had the the opportunity of watching any of the cricket today unfortunately. :(

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Nah I dont have Foxtel :(. AND I just had a crap day, wouldve been nice to come home and forget my sorrows watching cricket, but alas I cannot. (Yes, I had to follow the Great Man's highest Test score ON THE INTERNET! :!()

Still, its good Katich is playing. I guess he's coming in after tea then.:!

Craig

World Traveller
I will have to admit I was proven wrong about any comments about Martyn.

To make it better he did score at a slower rate then what he usually does (I do believe he has a strike rate of over 50?).

Mingster

State Regular
mavric41 said:
Just because Symonds is not an automatic world beater you want to drop him.
I never asked for him to be an 'automatc world beater'. He could have at least scored some runs, and shown us his overrated medium pacers. Which he hasn't bowled this series.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mingster said:
I never asked for him to be an 'automatc world beater'. He could have at least scored some runs, and shown us his overrated medium pacers. Which he hasn't bowled this series.
He has so bowled his medium pacers. In the second test he had a short two over spell in which he almost bowled Jayawardne twice and had a good LBW shout turned down. He had the ball moving both ways and was quite sharp too. His medium pacers are anything but over-rated, infact they are under-rated.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
He has so bowled his medium pacers. In the second test he had a short two over spell in which he almost bowled Jayawardne twice and had a good LBW shout turned down. He had the ball moving both ways and was quite sharp too. His medium pacers are anything but over-rated, infact they are under-rated.
Why does he very rarely set the world alight with his bowling then. He hardly ever takes more than a couple of wickets anywhere and that if he's lucky.

Dangerous if unreliable batsman though, especially in one day cricket.