• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One-Man Executive

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As things are, Gus Logie stands to be sacked very soon. But is this justified? Is it right to sack the coach, when he was given a list of players to work with?

Logie has no say in the picking of the Sanfords and Dwayne Smiths, but he has to play them. Therefore, how can he be held accountable, to the point of being fired, for the poor performance?

Basically I think that it would function much better if the coach was the lone executive in terms of the players. He would pick the squad and probably be consulted by one or two prominent players (Lara, Walsh, Ambrose etc.).

Thoughts?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have recently changed their selection process, where-by John Bracewell is now head of selectors & gets perhaps the biggest say in who makes the squad.

So far it seems to have been successful....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Something else I remember. Yesterday John Bracewell was on Sports Radio & he made an interesting comment about the selection of Chris Martin.

Bracewell said that he decided to ask 3 senior Black Caps players who they thought was the best bowler to left-handers in the country and they all said Chris Martin.
Bracewell then said it is far more easier for a player to come into an environment when the players want you to be in a team rather than selectors calling players up & then getting a frosty reception from the other players in the squad because they thought the selections were wrong.

I think it makes sense for the coach to consult the players. Afterall, they're playing the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I definitely think the captain must be involved in selection - he is the one who has to use the players for 5 days...

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
As things are, Gus Logie stands to be sacked very soon. But is this justified? Is it right to sack the coach, when he was given a list of players to work with?

Logie has no say in the picking of the Sanfords and Dwayne Smiths, but he has to play them. Therefore, how can he be held accountable, to the point of being fired, for the poor performance?

Basically I think that it would function much better if the coach was the lone executive in terms of the players. He would pick the squad and probably be consulted by one or two prominent players (Lara, Walsh, Ambrose etc.).

Thoughts?
Why not sack the sack the selectors?

The players play the game not the coach. Why not sack the players?

In cricket the captain has the biggest job of all then in anyother sport. Why not sack Lara?

Andre

International Regular
Re: Re: One-Man Executive

Craig said:
Why not sack the sack the selectors?

The players play the game not the coach. Why not sack the players?

In cricket the captain has the biggest job of all then in anyother sport. Why not sack Lara?
Lets sack all of the people involved in West Indian cricket!

Why not?

Oh, but let's retain the coach...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mefinks you're missing the point Craig. I'm not calling for the sacking of the selectors as much as I'm suggesting instating a better selection process.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's no coincidence that ever since NZ cleaned out & refreshed their administration back in 1997 they've had far more success on the field.

If the West Indies are at the low NZ was at in 1995/1996 then I would recommend that they try it..although whether they can find someone as influential as Chris Doig to steady the ship remains to be seen.