• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taking on Lindwall, Miller and Thatcher

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
"There were a number of occasions when the Iron Lady tore into Sheppard but he didn’t mind. After all whenever they clashed he could do so safe in the knowledge he was always right."

Not commenting on Sheppard (or Thatcher) here, but I can't think of anyone I'd want less in charge of anything than someone who was "safe in the knowledge that they were always right".

watson

Banned
"There were a number of occasions when the Iron Lady tore into Sheppard but he didn’t mind. After all whenever they clashed he could do so safe in the knowledge he was always right."

Not commenting on Sheppard (or Thatcher) here, but I can't think of anyone I'd want less in charge of anything than someone who was "safe in the knowledge that they were always right".
Well Thatcher was always wrong wasn't she, so it kind of follows.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Thatcher was always wrong wasn't she, so it kind of follows.
Spot on, although she was right about one thing - she said she would destroy the miners, and she did

It didn't matter that in doing so she laid waste to communities that had thrived for generations, the futures of the last of which she crushed without mercy

Why did she do it? Because a rather stupid little man got under her skin, misjudged his strength completely and after calling her out for what she was refused to back down when she unleashed everything the state had on him - and some sad ****ers called that statesmanship

If the NUM had been led by David Sheppard and not Arthur Scargill the U.K would be a very different place today

Blocky

Banned
Superb read...

Actually when you think about it, writing like this may never occur again, the poeticism about the challenge, having to be so descriptive due to the lack of videos available of it - these days everything is available via YouTube clips, the best spells, the best batting innings, etcetera.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Superb read...

Actually when you think about it, writing like this may never occur again, the poeticism about the challenge, having to be so descriptive due to the lack of videos available of it - these days everything is available via YouTube clips, the best spells, the best batting innings, etcetera.
You don't watch cricket by just seeing the scoring shots or the wicket balls. The benefit of writing is that you can more of the story, the atmosphere, the attitude a player can impose on a match. Martin's regular pieces or even others just writing occasional stories will surely continue. Not saying you're wrong, but I hope you are

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Really great article, I'd almost forgotten about Sheppard. I missed his playing days but he was a pretty big figure in Merseyside when I was growing up - particularly his work in the inner city.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Many thanks for the kind comments gentlemen - am particularly impressed with Noah's avatar, although his stated location is slightly puzzling

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Many thanks for the kind comments gentlemen - am particularly impressed with Noah's avatar, although his stated location is slightly puzzling
Cheers, the location isn't accurate anymore - I'm just a Luddite and haven't figured out how to change it on my phone