• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your most gloomiest/disappointing moments as a cricket fan

Kirkut

International Regular
Mention 3 moments which were your ultimate lows as a cricket fan. This does not include tragic incidents on-field/off-field, only limited to game/series results.

In descending order, for me are:

1. 2011 tour to England: I was very confident that our side would at least draw the series if not winning it, taking into consideration how well we did in South Africa earlier that year.

2. 2007 World Cup exit: I wasn't a devout cricket fan at that time but I could see the impact the exit had on people around me, some even wanting to quit watching the game forever.

3. 2003 World Cup Final: Was a 12 year old back then, didn't know anything about the game except for fours and sixes. I remember there was huge party atmosphere at the place where I was watching the final, after Australia's innings ended there was pin drop silence and many left the place even before India's batting began.

Slifer

International Captain
When Courtney Brown dropped Steve Waugh and we lost in 95 to Oz, our first loss in 15 years. Losing to Kenya in the 96 WC. Losing to Oz in said WC in the semis after being in the driver's seat for most of the match.

Bijed

International Regular
64.2 overs into the final innings of the 2005 Edgbaston test.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Ian Botham's pair at Lord's in '81 when it seemed all form had deserted him

2. Jeff Thomson bowling in 1985

3. Simon Kerrigan's Test debut

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Craig McDermott not out lbw to Danny Morrison in second to last over of 1987 Boxing Day test.

Was fuming.

J_C

U19 Captain
Chennai 1999.

daylight

Barbados 1997.

ICC Knockout 2000 Final.

WC 2003 was relatively less painful as that was a hammering. Close defeats suck ****

Blocky

Banned
1. Taylor's era of captaincy.
2. The continued selection of Southee/Boult for the past three seasons while we keep dropping Wagner
3. The "Young Guns" era
4. The way we lost the WC Final
5. Shane Bond's constant injuries
6. Jesse Ryder's constant alcohol issues.
7. The constant selection of Doug Bracewell
8. That Brooke Walker, Todd Astle, Tarun Nethula, Greg Loveridge, Ish Sodhi can all call themselves international cricketers.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Getting beaten 3-0 in Sri Lanka with the great Darren Lehmann at the helm.

I was shattered along with my good mates Lord Burgey of Wentworthville and Lord CRibbage of Baulkham Hills.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin getting out in the first over in the 2003 final was horrible.

Failing to chase 120 against WI in '97.

Complete capitulation to Moeen, Chris Jordan etc. in the last 3 Tests in 2014. Pathetic.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The other time I was as flat about the team, in hindsight at least looking back, is the whole Homework incident with Mickey Arthur - just in terms of how can a team be so dysfunctional to require that action to be taken.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig McDermott not out lbw to Danny Morrison in second to last over of 1987 Boxing Day test.

Was fuming.
Mike Whitney? Was it not?

No contest, mine was the World Cup final. Picked up a last minute ticket, was beyond fizzing. Got to the ground, in the beer queue, shelling out $10 a pop for **** beer, and hadn't managed to sit down before a deafening roar reverberated around the concourse. Dead after 10 overs, thought we'd make a game of it after 35, then 3 overs later it was all over. Left the ground and sulked home at 100-2 in the chase. Deflated an understatement.

ImpatientLime

International Regular

3. 2003 World Cup Final: Was a 12 year old back then, didn't know anything about the game except for fours and sixes. I remember there was huge party atmosphere at the place where I was watching the final, after Australia's innings ended there was pin drop silence and many left the place even before India's batting began.
lol ****ing fairweather fans

Kirkut

International Regular
Sachin getting out in the first over in the 2003 final was horrible.

Failing to chase 120 against WI in '97.

Complete capitulation to Moeen, Chris Jordan etc. in the last 3 Tests in 2014. Pathetic.

2014 defeat was relatively acceptable to me since our side was a young one and it was their first England tour without good county experience. 2011 tour had monstrous anticipations of Sachin's 100th 100 which completely took away the focus from the game, add to that the sarcastic articles from journalists made it even worse.