• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your most gloomiest/disappointing moments as a cricket fan

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably the Hughes incident for myself too, still hard to conceive that he isn't around.

On a less dramatic note, seeing Ponting get knocked off his feet by Kallis in Perth was peak disappointment. Was weird seeing a childhood idol and fixture throughout my whole life get utterly demolished in such a fashion, complimented by the realization as he got up back on his feet and headed towards the change rooms that he was done right there and then.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably the Hughes incident for myself too, still hard to conceive that he isn't around.

On a less dramatic note, seeing Ponting get knocked off his feet by Kallis in Perth was peak disappointment. Was weird seeing a childhood idol and fixture throughout my whole life get utterly demolished in such a fashion, complimented by the realization as he got up back on his feet and headed towards the change rooms that he was done right there and then.
Wasn't that Adelaide?

If I had to pick 3:

* The Hughes incident
* 2010/11 Ashes
* 2013 Indian series (or any recent Asian series)

If we're talking results alone, replace the Hughes death with the 2008/09 South African series probably.

Debris

International 12th Man
The years 1985 and 1986

Tony Dodemaide

Realising that Carl Rackemann was far from the worst bowler I had seen play for Australia in that year.

Seeing Steve Waugh trying to break back into the Australian side as a third seamer.

The brief and glorious sight of Bruce Reid in full flight, knowing full well that he would inevitably be crippled by injury before the series was complete.

Stapel

International Regular
In May 2015, I had bought Ashes tickets for Test 3, Day 4 & Test 4, Day 4........ Basically planned the whole summer hldays around those Tests.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
From a less actually tragic standpoint though, the summer of 99 must take some beating. Out of our own world cup before our inspirational single was even released and becoming literally the worst test side in the world with a 2-1 home defeat to NZ.
From an England POV I think this was definitely the low of lows, followed by 51ao against the Windies at Sabina Park in '09.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Klusener/Donald
Hansie Cronje saga
S.Pollock and the rain/DL table (actually... all rain at SA WC games)

Last edited:

Zinzan

Well yeah Hughes' tragic death was much bigger than cricket, so I'll stick to more trivial cricketing stuff;

92 WC NZ vs. Pakistan with Crowe off the field and John Wright screwing everything up

Melbourne Boxing day Test 1987, being denied victory by the Aussie umpire (the Morrison LBW) which would have squared the series 1-1 after NZ had won in Aust in '85.. robbed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtFlb_KOCU

Crowe's 299, since I was such a Crowe fan-boy I was crushed by that fairly trivial score at the time.

Bijed

International Regular
Hughes' death. All the other stuff in this thread is just trivial in comparison.
In fairness:

Mention 3 moments which were your ultimate lows as a cricket fan. This does not include tragic incidents on-field/off-field, only limited to game/series results.
Not trying to take a jab at you, just don't want people thinking that there's a load of us who weren't upset by Hughes' death. I know I definitely was.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
All three in 1987
- Lancashire fail in final match of the season to become county champions for first time in 53 years (and it took them another 24 years)
- England fail by 15 wins to square the series against Pakistan
- England lose WC final by 7 runs

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tbf, that would require reading the OP
Look at all these other ****s not reading the OP.

You really are a tiresome individual.

It's very tempting to say the death of the young fella who still adorns my avatar.

From a less actually tragic standpoint though, the summer of 99 must take some beating. Out of our own world cup before our inspirational single was even released and becoming literally the worst test side in the world with a 2-1 home defeat to NZ.
Yeah, good call on the former, was the most a cricket game has ever affected me, I think.
Hughes' death
2010/11 Ashes

Agent TBY

International Captain
Calcutta '96 - Not only was it a heartbreaking loss and an embarrassment for our country, I'd guess it's also the primary reason we still have to deal with ****** fences blocking the view and filthy, overpriced water packets. **** everything about that day.
Barbados '97 - I think I actually stayed up late to watch this go down. Give me back my sleep.
Madras '99 - We couldn't scrape together 17 runs (17!) after the man played the innings of his life while hurting? The tail only ****ing managed 4 runs between them? Get the **** out of here.

I feel like you guys are downplaying the effects of the '03 final a bit, too. It's all well and good to sit here in 2016 and talk about how Australia were a unique juggernaut, but the team had steadily picked up the pieces after getting smashed by them in the group stage, Tendulkar had activated god mode again, and what better ending to the story than settling the score when it actually mattered? But, yeah, the moment Hayden smacked Zaheer for four in that first over, you knew it was going to be another one of those days. And it just steadily got worse and worse until that hook happened.

Zinzan

Calcutta '96 - Not only was it a heartbreaking loss and an embarrassment for our country, I'd guess it's also the primary reason we still have to deal with ****** fences blocking the view and filthy, overpriced water packets. **** everything about that day.
I'll never forget those images of Clive Lloyd (match ref) on the ground at the end. Weirdest finish to a game I can remember.

Midwinter

State Captain
2009 Ashes First test at Cardiff

Australian team walk out, Stuart Clark wasn't playing

Stunned,couldn't believe it

Up there with Carlton beating Essendon in 99 Prelim Final

Burgey

Barbados '97 - I think I actually stayed up late to watch this go down. Give me back my sleep.
Madras '99 - We couldn't scrape together 17 runs (17!) after the man played the innings of his life while hurting? The tail only ****ing managed 4 runs between them? Get the **** out of here.

I feel like you guys are downplaying the effects of the '03 final a bit, too. It's all well and good to sit here in 2016 and talk about how Australia were a unique juggernaut, but the team had steadily picked up the pieces after getting smashed by them in the group stage, Tendulkar had activated god mode again, and what better ending to the story than settling the score when it actually mattered? But, yeah, the moment Hayden smacked Zaheer for four in that first over, you knew it was going to be another one of those days. And it just steadily got worse and worse until that hook happened.
Zaheer Khan's greatest legacy, that game. Gobbed off at Gilchrist and Hayden early on and was repaid with an utter humiliation. Once Australia got that many no side was going to chase it down in such a big game. Tendulkar going in McGrath's first over just iced the cake as an Australian fan.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zaheer Khan's greatest legacy, that game. Gobbed off at Gilchrist and Hayden early on and was repaid with an utter humiliation. Once Australia got that many no side was going to chase it down in such a big game. Tendulkar going in McGrath's first over just iced the cake as an Australian fan.
On the opposite spectrum to this thread, Pontings innings in the final is one of my top 3 moments as a fan. Was glorious

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Most disappointing is definitely the '15 World Cup Final. I didn't expect us to win, but the utter pantsing we copped really stung after the joy of making the final for the first time.

Gloomiest moment was probably the Taylor/McCullum captaincy fiasco. Really seemed like the kind of thing that could've destroyed NZ cricket.

Zinzan

Gloomiest moment was probably the Taylor/McCullum captaincy fiasco. Really seemed like the kind of thing that could've destroyed NZ cricket.
Not sure what you mean by this The worst scenario would have been if Taylor decided to quit international cricket, which would have been both disappointing & pathetic, but suggesting it could've destroyed NZ cricket is hyperbole tbh. Life always goes on.