• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your most gloomiest/disappointing moments as a cricket fan

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 2003 wc final was depressing but no one should've sensibly expected us to win that game. Getting smashed like that was humiliating, but it should've been entirely expected.

Sachin getting out in the WC 2011 final was more depressing to me. Thought it was over and his chance to finally win it was gone. Made what happened later even more sweet.

Spikey

The Home of CricketArchive

1) liam davis is the worst person to score a 300
2) beer is the worst bowler to take a 7fer
3) possibly the worst pace attack ever fielded by nsw
4) usman and hughes were all but out the door and their failures were doubly depressing. haddin needed a score badly at the time too
5) more stuff probably. sok, as captain, bowling double the overs of hauritz annoyed me at the time. i think it turned out hauritz was a bit injured at the time, which then goes into the actual team selection......

Last edited:

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
2006/07 Ashes (particularly Perth) was the lowest point in recent memory. I was still fresh off the boat and pretty keen to go to the Boxing Day Test - I only ended up going out of a misplaced sense of duty.

Spikey

The other time I was as flat about the team, in hindsight at least looking back, is the whole Homework incident with Mickey Arthur - just in terms of how can a team be so dysfunctional to require that action to be taken.
The actual low point in that tour, imo, was in the test following all that, when TPC got out for 92 and then Starc got out for 99 and then Dhawan smoked the fastest ton on debut. good god. even when something good happened in that tour it fall to pieces

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
why is chennai '99 a particular tough pill to swallow for Indian fans? never heard it talked about it here before

OverratedSanity

why is chennai '99 a particular tough pill to swallow for Indian fans? never heard it talked about it here before
First test against Pakistan for over a decade. Massively hyped. Amazing test which swings both ways for 4 days, before Sachin plays arguably his greatest innings to almost win it singlehandedly but then gets out with a handful of runs to get and the tail predictably collapsed. Lost by 10 runs or something. :cry:

Surprised you haven't heard of it, it's probably one of the most famous tests ever,and certainly the most well known India-pakistan test.

Last edited:

mr_mister

What about Australia against windies at Bridgetown
Seems like 1999 was a good year for cricket

bagapath

International Captain
Javed Miandad hitting the last ball from Chetan Sharma for a match winning six in Sharjah on April 18, 1986 to close the Australasia Cup Final

fredfertang

The Home of CricketArchive

1) liam davis is the worst person to score a 300
2) beer is the worst bowler to take a 7fer
3) possibly the worst pace attack ever fielded by nsw
4) usman and hughes were all but out the door and their failures were doubly depressing. haddin needed a score badly at the time too
5) more stuff probably. sok, as captain, bowling double the overs of hauritz annoyed me at the time. i think it turned out hauritz was a bit injured at the time, which then goes into the actual team selection......
Bloody Hell that's remarkable - was there anything in the conditions that contributed?

Spikey

as I recall, it was perfectly normal pitch, nothing remotely interesting about it, a bit less pace and bounce but nothing to justify getting bowled out for 100 on the first day, non conceding 550, non letting Beer take 7.

I don't play too much into the "demoralized" team thing, but this NSW team was absolutely at rock bottom at the time. you had guys just dropped from the test team and about to leave NSW (Usman, Hughes, Hauritz), guys in the test team but struggling (Haddin), a lot of injures around the set-up (Katich got concussed the match before, Watson was coming back from injury, half the pace bowlers in the state were injured). It was pretty rough, and then Liam ****ing Davis gets a 300 and Michael Beer gets 7.

vcs

The 2003 wc final was depressing but no one should've sensibly expected us to win that game. Getting smashed like that was humiliating, but it should've been entirely expected.

Sachin getting out in the WC 2011 final was more depressing to me. Thought it was over and his chance to finally win it was gone. Made what happened later even more sweet.
Sachin was in God-mode most of that WC though.. expected him to last longer than ****ing 5 balls in the final. :(

vcs

Javed Miandad hitting the last ball from Chetan Sharma for a match winning six in Sharjah on April 18, 1986 to close the Australasia Cup Final
Thank goodness that was before my time. Would have needed therapy if I'd had to sit through that. Especially since the psychological impact of that lasted for well over a decade. Remember bloody Aaqib Javed taking hattricks for fun against us through most of the '90s.

indiaholic

International Captain
It was ****** decision making too.. He said in the team meeting that they needed to hit McGrath out of the attack and that he would take care of it. This as a plan in itself is of dubious value, and if you go through with it somebody else should be given the task of mindless attack. Not that we had a chance tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's very tempting to say the death of the young fella who still adorns my avatar.

From a less actually tragic standpoint though, the summer of 99 must take some beating. Out of our own world cup before our inspirational single was even released and becoming literally the worst test side in the world with a 2-1 home defeat to NZ.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
2004 Champions trophy,
2005 Intercontinental Cup final v. Ireland
2007 World T20 Cup,
2014? WCL Championship

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's very tempting to say the death of the young fella who still adorns my avatar.

From a less actually tragic standpoint though, the summer of 99 must take some beating. Out of our own world cup before our inspirational single was even released and becoming literally the worst test side in the world with a 2-1 home defeat to NZ.
Yeah, good call on the former, was the most a cricket game has ever affected me, I think.