• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers who improved their best figures the most times

Bijed

International Regular
On the back of the "Which cricketers have obtained a new highest score the most times?" thread, I was wondering about the equivalent question for bowlers - namely, what is the record for the amount of times a bowler has improved their best innings bowling figures. My immediate thought is that it would be someone like Stuart Broad, who started off as a very ordinary test bowler but continually improved over their career (though he's now unlikely to improve his best figures again). I may have completely failed to think of someone very obvious, though, so please do post your suggestions.

I calculate Broad to have improved his best figures 11 times (counting his first bowling innings as an 'improvement').

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hah, my immediate thought was 'Broad must be a shout for this'.

Anderson can't have done it that often given he got 5 on debut and took his best career figures in 2008?

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, I had a look at Jimmy and after his debut 5-fer, he got a better 5-fer and then the 7-fer which remains his best.

I'm wondering now if there's a chance it'll be someone totally unexpected in that I think there's an outside chance that a batsman who was a bit of a part-timer and had a decent-length career could have got a few progressively better 0-fers, then a few 1-fers, a 2-fer etc.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nominate Narendra Hirwani for the least. His best was his first innings or second?

Bijed

International Regular
0-fers don't count.
Fair enough, never realised that, takes that potentially awkward factor out of the equation, though I'd still find it an interesting statistical exercise to see if it makes a difference if you were to count them.

Seems a little odd now that we've got T20s where you can put in an excellent wicketless performance with the ball.

Nominate Narendra Hirwani for the least. His best was his first innings or second?
His first, with his second being a slightly worse 8-fer. Similar for Dominic Cork, took 7-43 in his 2nd bowling innings and never eclipsed it.

I wonder who has the record for longest career with their best figures in their first match? Utterly trivial statistic, but I like those.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was going to work this out one day but I don't like how 6/150 is considered better bowling figures over a 5/32 performance.

Bijed

International Regular
I was going to work this out one day but I don't like how 6/150 is considered better bowling figures over a 5/32 performance.
Yeah, that's always bothered me, especially with really extreme examples like Harmison's 7/12 vs Krezja's 8/215. But I guess it's fairly equivalent to a batsman's best innings not necessarily being the one where they got their highest score, and it's not wrong to say that it's more difficult to get 6 wickets than 5, for example.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Broad has 9

1/95, 2/62, 3/54, 8/85, 6/91, 6/46, 7/72, 7/44, 8/15

Bob Willis I think takes the biscuit with 12.

1/1, 3/73, 3/58, 4/118, 4/64, 4/56, 5/61, 5/42, 5/27, 6/53, 7/78, 8/43

can't find better than that from the 300+ wicket club.

Murali 10, Kapil 11

Bijed

International Regular
Broad has 9

1/95, 2/62, 3/54, 8/85, 6/91, 6/46, 7/72, 7/44, 8/15

Bob Willis I think takes the biscuit with 12.

1/1, 3/73, 3/58, 4/118, 4/64, 4/56, 5/61, 5/42, 5/27, 6/53, 7/78, 8/43

can't find better than that from the 300+ wicket club.

Murali 10, Kapil 11
Are those from checking statsguru? Problem there if so is that it won't show if someone improved their best figures twice in a match - I think you've got to manually look at their graph on their cricinfo profile, which is how I got my figure of 11 times for Broad. Of course, you may have done this or something equivalent and I'm just wrong. Moot point re Broad since Willis trumps him anyway, but could change Willis', Murali and Kapil's figures.

Blocky

Banned
Wasn't Amir paid something like 2500 pounds?
Shh, it doesn't fit the narrative that a young naive teenager was talked into doing something by his captain (Butt) and senior pro (Asif) for next to no monetary gain, but only to gain their approval... and then hung out to dry by his cricketing board and the ICC; doing his time with no complaint and coming back to the game, not once complaining about how **** he's had it.