• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is more likely to win a test match with this scoreline?

I've asked this question to a range of people and have tended to receive split respon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd probably say Team B generally. Yes the fact that it went 5 days probably suggests it's a reasonable batting surface at the very least, but if they can knock off 5 decent batsman reasonably quickly, they'll probably knock off the other 5 for less than 100 runs. That said, it should be very tight.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Team B most of the time - your first 5 wickets would normally score more than 60% of the runs..

But
- if it's Gilchrist or de Kock coming in at 7, the odds must change.
- if this is against South Africa circa 1997 they have McMillan, Klusener, Richardson and Symcox still to come...
- if it was 10-4 and now 150-5 it's a bit different than if it was 120-0 and now 150-5.
- have the match scores have been 300 + 400 vs 450 and 150-5, or has it been a rain-affected 200 + 250 vs 200 +150-5
- is it a drop in pitch that gets better as the match goes on vs a normal one which deteriorates...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway I answered B, because more often than not in day five chases I find even 50 to be a lot for the lower order. However if its India in India batting then I would back them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
- if it was 10-4 and now 150-5 it's a bit different than if it was 120-0 and now 150-5.
Yeah I almost feel this is one of the biggest swing factors. There are obviously others, but if the team has just lost 5/30 or 5/40, despite personnel and target exactly the same, its a completely different feel to both batsman having just put up a 100 run partnership.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm in India now and down with malaria. Gandhi Daemon will be back next week.