• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The impact of where you field on your other disciplines

Bijed

International Regular
From reading the various discussion there's been on here regarding the difference in various player's batting output depending on whether or not they were keeping wicket, I found myself wondering about the impact on batting and bowling performance from fielding at other positions. I guess it'll be hard (impossible?) to get a definitive statistical answer, but would be curious if anyone can think of any examples of, say, a batsman doing significantly better/worse once their regular fielding position changed from X to Y, or just has their own personal experience to share.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Some quicks hate fielding at fine leg when there is a left-right combination batting, due to all the extra running, when they are in the middle of a spell.

I quite prefer being down there in the middle of my own spell though, with some time to tune out rather than being at mid-off/cover where I'm a bit more involved in the game.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i think there's correlation but no causation

for example as i'm an athletic dude with loads of stamina i field at midwicket to the right handed and the covers to the left handed - naturally i don't bowl some loopy finger spin. on the other hand, older guys who bowl loopy slow field in places like the slips and gully where running isn't the name of the game. you see it in international cricket, especially in the t20s, they put their ****** fielders in at third man and fine leg. just as i am typing this fawad ahmed fields a ball at third man