• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Era XIs

a massive zebra

International Captain
How players of the past would fare in modern conditions has always been a perennial problem. One solution is to the categorize the players into Era's and have them competing against players of their own generation. I have identified four different Era's and have identified World XI's for each.

Era1: 1877-1914
Era2: 1918-1939
Era3: 1945-1969
Era4: 1970-Present

Era 1 World XI

W.G.Grace
V.T.Trumper
C.Hill(vc)
K.S.Ranjitsinghi
F.S.Jackson(c)
W.Rhodes
A.F.A.Lilley(wk)
G.A.Lohmann
S.F.Barnes
T.Richardson
F.R.Spofforth

12th Man: C.T.B.Turner

Era 2 World XI

J.B.Hobbs
H.Sutcliffe
D.G.Bradman(c)
W.R.Hammond(v.c)
G.A.Headley
H.W.Taylor
L.E.G.Ames(w.k)
M.W.Tate
H.Larwood
W.J.O'Reilly
C.V.Grimmett

12th Man: H.Verity

Era 3 World XI

L.Hutton(c)
A.R.Morris
E.D.Weekes
R.G.Pollock
K.F.Barrington
G.S.Sobers(vc)
K.R.Miller
T.G.Evans(wk)
R.R.Lindwall
F.S.Trueman
J.C.Laker

12th Man: A.V.Bedser

Era 4 World XI

S.M.Gavaskar
M.L.Hayden
I.V.A.Richards(vc)
S.R.Tendulkar
G.S.Chappell
A.C.Gilchrist(wk)
Imran Khan(c)
R.J.Hadlee
M.D.Marshall
D.K.Lillee
M.Muralitharan

12th Man: J.H.Kallis

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
jamee999 said:
Kallis-ahem- What's Bothem ever done wrong -compared to Kallis :rolleyes:
Kallis is an infinetly better batsman. Botham much better bowler but the difference is not as great as in the batting. Both excellent fielders.

Swervy

International Captain
i would have Botham in that Era 4 team i think...the current Australian team is deeper in batting than that world team...get beefy in there, he is the most dominating all rounder of the last 30 years

Craig

World Traveller
Swervy said:
i would have Botham in that Era 4 team i think...the current Australian team is deeper in batting than that world team...get beefy in there, he is the most dominating all rounder of the last 30 years
And Imran Khan wasnt? He thrived under the captaincy. His batting and bowling averages went up (with the bat) and went down (with the ball).

Because of him we got Wasim and Waqar and Inzi. Saeed Anwar came into the team at the same time I think. And he wasnt too bad of a ODI player wasnt he?

Swervy

International Captain
Craig said:
And Imran Khan wasnt? He thrived under the captaincy. His batting and bowling averages went up (with the bat) and went down (with the ball).

Because of him we got Wasim and Waqar and Inzi. Saeed Anwar came into the team at the same time I think. And he wasnt too bad of a ODI player wasnt he?
Imran Khans performances never came close to what Botham acheived between 1977 and 1982.

yeah and i would have Greenidge in there as well

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My Era 4 World XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Gordon Greenidge
Vivian Richards (vc)
Sachin Tendulkar
Greg Chappell
Ian Healy (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Muttiah Muralitharan

That'd be mine, I am not going to even attempt to make one for the previous eras. Pretty similar to your XI.

Swervy

International Captain
here is mine..based on what i would consider a balanced squad ...i also like the idea of having a lefty or two in there as well..so here goes.

1.Gavaskar
2.Greenidge
3.Tendulkar
4.Richards
5.Lara
6.Botham
7.Knott
8.Warne
9.Hadlee
10.Marshall
11.Lillee

12th Murali
13th Imran Khan....if they we to play a test series, and say a turning pitch came up...stick Murali in there in place of a quick...if it was a green top,take Warne out and stick Imran in

tooextracool

International Coach
mine would be:

gavaskar
boycott
martin crowe(c)(surprise surprise)
richards
lara/waugh
botham
knott
marshall
warne
lillee
michael holding(attack needs big pace)/wasim akram(provides variety

12th man steve waugh
13th man ,murali
i wouldnt go with hadlee because he was just so similar to lillee

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
here is mine..based on what i would consider a balanced squad ...i also like the idea of having a lefty or two in there as well..so here goes.

1.Gavaskar
2.Greenidge
3.Tendulkar
4.Richards
5.Lara
6.Botham
7.Knott
8.Warne
9.Hadlee
10.Marshall
11.Lillee

12th Murali
13th Imran Khan....if they we to play a test series, and say a turning pitch came up...stick Murali in there in place of a quick...if it was a green top,take Warne out and stick Imran in
Lara too inconsistent.

Tendulkar always bats at 4.

Imran outperformed Botham by quite a margin in test cricket.
Imran bat avge 37 Botham 33
Imran bowl avge 22 Botham 28

Gilchrist's batting is irreplacable and he is not a bad keeper.

Hadlee is a much better batsman than Warne.

Murali is pretty obviously a better bowler than Warne.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jono said:
My Era 4 World XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Gordon Greenidge
Vivian Richards (vc)
Sachin Tendulkar
Greg Chappell
Ian Healy (wk)
Imran Khan (c)
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Muttiah Muralitharan

That'd be mine, I am not going to even attempt to make one for the previous eras. Pretty similar to your XI.
Good selection, but why does Healy get the edge over Gilchrist?

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Lara too inconsistent.

as i say Botham between 1977 and 1982 (before his back started giving him jip) was the best all rounder the world has seen since Sobers...and no one has matched those performances since either.

Forget the figures...they dont tell the whole story. Imran spent alot of his career in the tail,and i would guess that his average was bumped up by a fair few not outs...how many 100's did Imran score...was it 3? I think Botham scored 14.

And Botham for his first 4 years was the most successful bowler in the world,at the same time as being the most destructive batsman (along with Richards).

Trust me,Botham was a better batsman than Imran

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Lara too inconsistent.

ok..Hadlee above Warne.

And lets not start that one about Warne vs Murali again....at his peak warne was by far the greatest leggie i have ever seen (and still is the best in the world by a mile),and is a better batsman than Murali.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
at his peak warne was by far the greatest leggie i have ever seen (and still is the best in the world by a mile),and is a better batsman than Murali.
Agreed. But that does not make Warne any better than Murali with the ball. Surely its better to pick bowlers for their bowling. Warne is a better batsman but nothing exceptional battingwise.

Last edited: