• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the Year 2016

Spark

Global Moderator
So, based on your opinion that de Kock is a somewhat better keeper, you think that selecting him in the side is "criminal".

I see.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mate I've seen Bairstow live and I've seen enough of him to know he isn't as good or as natural a keeper as QDK.
QdK hasn't kept in spinning conditions yet. While Bairstow did well in Bangladesh and India. QdK is most probably the next best thing, and will probably supplant Bairstow in TOTY 2017. Let's give Bairstow his due for 2016.

Spark

Global Moderator
so he never batted at 3, 4, 6 and 7?

edit: man you should start watching cricket. I feel embarrassed having to correct you like this. You've been taken to school, move on.
He was given at a chance at 3 and didn't do that well, so he went back to where he'd batted his entire career. This is not exactly being thrown into every position in the order.

listento_me

U19 Captain
QdK hasn't kept in spinning conditions yet. While Bairstow did well in Bangladesh and India. QdK is most probably the next best thing, and will probably supplant Bairstow in TOTY 2017. Let's give Bairstow his due for 2016.
I don't see why Bairstow keeping in 2 series where ENgland have been humiliated should be a positive.

He was given at a chance at 3 and didn't do that well, so he went back to where he'd batted his entire career. This is not exactly being thrown into every position in the order.
So, you are saying he did not bat in 4 different positions this year?

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't see why Bairstow keeping in 2 series where ENgland have been humiliated should be a positive.

So, you are saying he did not bat in 4 different positions this year?
Are you seriously counting every instance of a nightwatchman being used as "batting in a different position"? Or did you think Pakistan were trying to give a go to their promising upcoming number 3, Yasir Shah?

EDIT: Oh and their fine talent for number 5, Rahat Ali.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Are you seriously counting every instance of a nightwatchman being used as "batting in a different position"? Or did you think Pakistan were trying to give a go to their promising upcoming number 3, Yasir Shah?

EDIT: Oh and their fine talent for number 5, Rahat Ali.
so he never batted at 3, 4, 6 and 7?

edit: man you should start watching cricket. I feel embarrassed having to correct you like this. You've been taken to school, move on.
:lol:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
5 Englishmen, way more than any other side. You really are precious aren't you :laugh:

I mean you could at least pretend to be impartial
lol Zinzan should be last person complaining about this as he is normally just as bad as Windiesweather :laugh:

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol Zinzan should be last person complaining about this as he is normally just as bad as Windiesweather :laugh:
That would be both funny & ironic if it were actually true, only I'm probably one of NZ's toughest critics, especially when they're not playing well.

I did semi-reluctantly include 1 NZ player in Neil Wagner in my XI, which isn't that much of a stretch considering he's taken 41 wickets @ 21 in 9 tests, which was better numbers than Anderson & the others to play a decent number of games.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Individual performances don't matter if the team doesn't do well?
But what was so outstanding about him? Don't get me wrong, he is a solid batsman but he has been included as a keeper here and his keeping is average at best. Too bulky and robotic behind the stumps, hands and feet aren't particularly quick. A makeshift keeper shouldn't be getting the nod over QDK who not only keeps better but bats just as well.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Brathwaite
Azhar Ali
Pujara
Steve Smith
Kohli
Stokes
Bairstow/De Kock
Ashwin
Rabada
Shami
Starc

Shami had a pretty consistent but low key year on flattish wickets. Stokes only played two home tests so no-one can really call him a home track bully.
I think you'd take De Kock the player just but the bigger sample size for the year might get Bairstow into this team.
Wagner and Broad were the two other bowlers I considered.

Rootfan

Banned
1)C Pujara(India)
2)Hashim Amla (RSA)
3)K.Williamson(NZ)
4)S.Smith(Australia)
5)Kohli(India)(c)
6)QDK(RSA)(Wk)
7)Ben Stokes(England)
8)R.Ashwin(India)
9)N.Wagner(NZ)
10)K.Rabada(RSA)
11)M.Starc(Aus)

Notes:

Jadeja in place of Wagner in the subcontinent.
Ashwin averages 43.71 with the bat with 2 tons in 2016(to put that in perspective, Cook averages 42.33 with 2 tons).
Azhar Ali and Bairstow unlucky to miss out.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Tests
Kraigg Braithwaite [WI]
Azhar Ali [PAK]
Kane Williamson [NZL]
Virat Kohli [IND] (C)
Steve Smith [AUS] (VC)
Jonny Bairstow [ENG] (WK)
Ben Stokes [ENG]
Ravichandran Ashwin [IND]
Mitchell Starc [AUS]
Rangana Herath [SL]
Kagiso Rabada [SA]

IND - 2
AUS - 2
ENG - 2
PAK - 1
SA - 1
NZL - 1
SL - 1
WI - 1

ODI
David Warner [AUS]
Martin Guptill [NZL]
Joe Root [ENG]
Virat Kohli [IND] (C)
Steve Smith [AUS] (VC)
Quinton de Kock [SA] (WK)
Chris Woakes [ENG]
Mitchell Starc [AUS]
Sunil Narine [WI]
Jasprit Bumrah [IND]
Trent Boult [NZL]

AUS - 3
IND - 2
NZL - 2
ENG - 2
SA - 1
WI - 1

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Why are people picking Williamson? His one ton was against Zimbabwe and averages under 50.

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
Brathwaite
Azhar Ali
Pujara
Steve Smith
Kohli
Stokes
Bairstow/De Kock
Ashwin
Rabada
Shami
Starc

Shami had a pretty consistent but low key year on flattish wickets. Stokes only played two home tests so no-one can really call him a home track bully.
I think you'd take De Kock the player just but the bigger sample size for the year might get Bairstow into this team.
Wagner and Broad were the two other bowlers I considered.
Come on now, you know Root gets in there instead of Pujara.

I can't disagree too much with the rest (you probs know my feelings on Bairstow) but how does Shami get into the team? Hasn't Broad has a better year? Amir? Philander? I know the latter has a smaller sample size but this is the team of who has been among the best cricketers of the year. If India had alternatives, I doubt even they'd pick Shami lol Don't get me wrong, he's a trier, a real work horse and I like that. India's very own Hoggard but he isn't worthy of the top XI or even top 22 of 2016.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Chandrika played two tests.

Bowling selection is poor with Yadav and Rahat both putting in mixed years and even Finn doing well in SA before a poor summer.

Matt Henry 7 wickets at 65, Jason Holder 10 wickets at 46 and Shaminda Eranga 5 wickets at 63 a better mud attack.
Ah yes Matt "I haven't played 5 tests this year" Henry and Shaminda "I haven't either" Eranga. Read my post again.

I considered Holder but he contributed something with the bat, and was a slightly better-bad all-rounder than Mitch Marsh.

This Mud XI was based on people who played at least a decent amount, with bad stats. To play such an amount means you'll probably have bowled well somewhere along the line to be retained and play more Tests.

Maybe Miguel Cummins could come in for Finn, Ali or Yadav.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Come on now, you know Root gets in there instead of Pujara.

I can't disagree too much with the rest (you probs know my feelings on Bairstow) but how does Shami get into the team? Hasn't Broad has a better year? Amir? Philander? I know the latter has a smaller sample size but this is the team of who has been among the best cricketers of the year. If India had alternatives, I doubt even they'd pick Shami lol Don't get me wrong, he's a trier, a real work horse and I like that. India's very own Hoggard but he isn't worthy of the top XI or even top 22 of 2016.

Why don't you just post "don pick India players, plz plz.." instead of trying to sound intelligent where you are failing this miserably. 8-)