• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ALPHA CRICKET BLOKES!!!! ff

Kirkut

International Regular
What's with thread title letters being all uppercase? Why are you so excited?

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Kieron Pollard? Threw a bat at Starc but is quiet otherwise. And throwing stuff at Starc is always good, no?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's always a bit of try-hard involved with alpha-ing someone. Like, it's how you hit a third grade spinner out of the nets when he's hunting for your spot in 2nd grade. Has little to do with how good a player you were - Allan Border doesn't qualify, he was just hard naturally, without having to put it on.

Matthew Wade probably qualifies, basically got put back into the side because of it.
Brendon McCullum probably did, until the "holier than thou" attitude in the last bit of his career where he realised he didn't have to put it on any more.
Shane Warne literally alpha'd Scott Muller's career.
Dean Jones wrote the perfect "alpha" cricket article earlier this summer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1. Brian Close
2. Wilfred Rhodes (5)
3. Viv Richards
4. Virat Kohli
5. Allan Border *
6. Steve Waugh
7. Brendon McCullum +
8. Keith Miller (3)
9. Andrew Flintoff (4)
10. Dennis Lillee (2)
11. Fred Trueman (1)

12. Brian McMillan

Hard to find a spinner that fits the bill, really. inb4 a Burgey rant about the effeminate art of finger spin on turning decks.
Pat Symcox spring to mind.

Maybe Roger Harper.

Kirkut

International Regular
1. Brian Close
2. Wilfred Rhodes (5)
3. Viv Richards
4. Virat Kohli
5. Allan Border *
6. Steve Waugh
7. Brendon McCullum +
8. Keith Miller (3)
9. Andrew Flintoff (4)
10. Dennis Lillee (2)
11. Fred Trueman (1)

12. Brian McMillan

Hard to find a spinner that fits the bill, really. inb4 a Burgey rant about the effeminate art of finger spin on turning decks.

I'm skeptical about Brian Close, there's nothing alpha about getting hit by cricket ball just because you cannot hook or duck the ball.

Imran Khan deserves to be in the list.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm skeptical about Brian Close, there's nothing alpha about getting hit by cricket ball just because you cannot hook or duck the ball.

Imran Khan deserves to be in the list.
Facing this without a helmet? It's the scariest video I've ever watched...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame they didn't have the camera from the other end, he was clearly staring Holding down there. Not something I'd have done in that situation, Bravery or stupidity, such a fine line isn't it?

Bijed

International Regular
Seeing Jones's list of recommended luncheon companions made me realise than Smith is the first Aussie captain since Kim Hughes without a commonly accepted nickname.

We've had AB, Tubby, Tugga, Punter and Pup followed by...Steve? Not even a Steveo.

For shame Australia. For shame.
I've become so disconnected from the rest of the world since I started posting here that it took me a little while there to realise that he may not be known as TPC to the world in general.

thierry henry

International Coach
Kieron Pollard? Threw a bat at Starc but is quiet otherwise. And throwing stuff at Starc is always good, no?
Pollard, Gayle, Samuels are basically 3 peas in a pod, complete tryhards who can't keep their cool. There is nothing cool or alpha about West Indies cricket anymore, certainly not the motley crew of T20 mercenaries travelling the world to throw bats and lamely hit on reporters while not playing test cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Seeing Jones's list of recommended luncheon companions made me realise than Smith is the first Aussie captain since Kim Hughes without a commonly accepted nickname.

We've had AB, Tubby, Tugga, Punter and Pup followed by...Steve? Not even a Steveo.

For shame Australia. For shame.
He gets the quite English "Smudger" a bit around the team, I believe.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollard, Gayle, Samuels are basically 3 peas in a pod, complete tryhards who can't keep their cool. There is nothing cool or alpha about West Indies cricket anymore, certainly not the motley crew of T20 mercenaries travelling the world to throw bats and lamely hit on reporters while not playing test cricket.
Not sure what Pollard's done to deserve such hate.

cnerd123

likes this
I've become so disconnected from the rest of the world since I started posting here that it took me a little while there to realise that he may not be known as TPC to the world in general.
That nickname is contentious here too - half of us use it for Herath.