• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Greatest "5 year Peak" Test XI (post 1970)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden had a crazy period too around 2001-2004 IIRC, but think that was more like 3 years, but would still probably look good across 5.

flibbertyjibber

So hard for a 5 year period, obviously Murali will have a stupid one as will Warne but lots of people have a spell of brilliance for shorter or very short like Cook and Vaughan did.

flibbertyjibber

Good spotting, Miandad had a freakish start to his career around that same period too.
Would imagine the openers will be harder to find, particularly from the 70's and 80's with so many top bowlers around. Had a quick look at Greenidge and Haynes and best I can find are a 52 and a 49 for each.

Howe_zat

Audio File
GS Sobers 1963-68

23 tests, 2283 runs at 69 with 6 tons, 79 wickets at 31 with two five-fors.

Could find similar figures for the whole decade though really.

Zinzan

GS Sobers 1963-68

23 tests, 2283 runs at 69 with 6 tons, 79 wickets at 31 with two five-fors.

Could find similar figures for the whole decade though really.
Ridiculous, guess I could make an exception to the post-1970 thing for him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Holy shizzers, there I was thinking Botham 77-82 was out on his own.
He is.

51 tests, 2833 runs 38.80 with 11 hundreds, 231 wickets at 23.06 with 19 five-fors.

Difference is the huge number of tons and 5wh, and getting them in the same match more than anyone else in just that period.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Incidentally, opener is Jack Hobbs 1909-14. Scored over 2000 runs at 60.

Context being that no one in history had averaged more than Jackson's 48 and he only played 20 tests for half the runs. At the outbreak of WW1 Hobbs was the 3rd leading test run scorer of all time (behind Hill and Trumper) but Hobbs averaged 57 compared to their 39.

OverratedSanity

He is.

51 tests, 2833 runs 38.80 with 11 hundreds, 231 wickets at 23.06 with 19 five-fors.

Difference is the huge number of tons and 5wh, and getting them in the same match more than anyone else in just that period.
Yeah, ridiculous in terms of sheer output.

Zinzan

He is.

Yes, I've always maintained had Botham retired from Tests around 1987 averaging around 36 with bat & 25 with ball, he'd be talked in a very different light by this generation. Obvious point, but Botham's numbers deteriorated considerably in his last 5-6 years.

Still only Botham could do some the the things he did in the '81 Ashes.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hadlee 1984 - 1988 ain't bad.
1590 @ 33.12
222 wickets @ 18.76

I know Imran has already been mentioned but I like his 84-88
1569 @ 43.58
190 wickets @ 17.04!

Gowza

U19 12th Man
It's not a 5 year peak but botham's first 25 test he averaged 40.48 with bat with 6 centuries, with ball 18.52 with 14 5fers and 3 10fers.

To make a comparison with the ball, Shaun pollock ending his career after 108 matches, averaging in the low 23s had taken 16 5fers and 1 10fer.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I've always maintained had Botham retired from Tests around 1987 averaging around 36 with bat & 25 with ball, he'd be talked in a very different light by this generation. Obvious point, but Botham's numbers deteriorated considerably in his last 5-6 years.

Still only Botham could do some the the things he did in the '81 Ashes.
Yeah, retiring after the 1986/87 Ashes would have been perfect.

Although I think he only played about 10 tests after that series anyway.

subshakerz

International Coach
To me, the noteworthy ones are:

Imran Khan 80/81 - 86 - Combined pace and mastery of normal and reverse swing to be the most effective fast bowler ever. Did well in England, Australia and decimated strong batting lineups at home on dead pitches.

Malcolm Marshall 83 - 88 - Second only to Imran, in an attack full of greats, he averaged 6 wickets test and conquered all conditions.

Viv Richards 76 - 80 - At the height of his brutal powers, Viv dominated attacked everywhere and scored against the best in WSC. His performance against Australia in 79/80 particularly noteworthy.

Botham 77 - 82 - Somewhat overrated as he played against Packer depleted sides and didnt perform as well against the WI, but still produced outstanding all-round performances with shocking frequency.

Sachin 1996 - 2002 At at time when bowler standards were at their height, Sachin averaged 60 and scored all across the globe and had notable innings against virtually every major attack.

Murali - 2001 to 2006 - Took wicket-taking to an extreme, averaging over 7 wickets a test.

Sobers 1961 - 1968 - A bit outside the five year limit, but he was at his peak as a bowler averaging 27 and around 4 wickets a test, and was in sublime form as a batsman in this time.

Also give special mention to Warne between 93 and 98, when he had the tight control, the loop and the flipper to be a package unlike any we have seen.

Last edited: