• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Everton Weekes

Howe_zat

Audio File
ED Weekes 48 matches, 4455 runs at 58.61, High score 207, 15 hundreds
SPD Smith 48 matches, 4441 runs at 58.43, high score 215, 16 hundreds

Only a semi-deliberate troll post.

I found it a bit silly that my immediate reaction was to find reasons why Smith's practically identical record doesn't count for as much. It probably speaks a little about how we're prepared to gloss up old players.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Without checking I'd guess Sir Everton ' s record was achieved over a considerably longer timescale.

If he was playing now he'd have closer to 150 tests. Assuming he was English, Indian or Australian. As he's not I suppose he'd probably be about where he was.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Look at who Weekes scored his runs against: Laker, Lock, Bedser and Statham; Lindwall, Miller and Benaud; Fazal Mahmood.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would guess it's partly because of Smith's career still being in progress whereas that is Weekes' complete career.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Look at who Weekes scored his runs against: Laker, Lock, Bedser and Statham; Lindwall, Miller and Benaud; Fazal Mahmood.
And the English and Australian attacks bought his average back to normal levels. Cashed in big against weak India (especially), and also Pak and NZ.

Walcott had a better rounded career than Weekes. Made good runs against Lindwall, Miller, Johnston, Benaud

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
And the English and Australian attacks bought his average back to normal levels. Cashed in big against weak India (especially), and also Pak and NZ.

Walcott had a better rounded career than Weekes. Made good runs against Lindwall, Miller, Johnston, Benaud
There is some truth in what you say, that he seemed to have cashed in against the Indians and Kiwis, however (ave) 58.62 v Australia (139, 87, 81) is a pretty good return against Benaud, Miller, etc. He suffered from a thigh injury don't forget, which no doubt explains his poor return in England in 1957 and his premature retirement.

viriya

International Captain
Without checking I'd guess Sir Everton ' s record was achieved over a considerably longer timescale.

If he was playing now he'd have closer to 150 tests. Assuming he was English, Indian or Australian. As he's not I suppose he'd probably be about where he was.
Yes, this is why their careers are actually more different than the stats show. Weekes did that over 10 years while Smith did it in 6.

In one perspective Smith has only 60% of the career Weekes has had.

This is the way cricrate looks at it too.

Slifer

International Captain
Weekes was a great and all, but besides being a minnow basher, he was pretty much a home track bully if memory serves me correctly. Hence why he's not in the top tier of great WI batsmen IMHO. May he rest in peace!!!

Slifer

International Captain
Oops it seems Sir Everton is very much alive and going strong at 91, disregard the RIP bit...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oops it seems Sir Everton is very much alive and going strong at 91, disregard the RIP bit...
He is indeed, and a shrewd old bugger - an old client of mine went home to the Caribbean to retire and works part time as a secretary for him - he wanted a ridiculous amount of money to answer a couple of questions I wanted to ask him

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Will Smith have the best record from 50 test matches after the Don?

It's a shame you can't see on cricinfo who had the best record after a certain amount of test innings. Unless you have all day to play with statsguru.

P.S I mean Steve and not Will. As that post could be construed as meaning the mighty Will Smith of Notts/Durham/Hampshire fame.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain

TNT

Banned
Will Smith have the best record from 50 test matches after the Don?

It's a shame you can't see on cricinfo who had the best record after a certain amount of test innings. Unless you have all day to play with statsguru.

P.S I mean Steve and not Will. As that post could be construed as meaning the mighty Will Smith of Notts/Durham/Hampshire fame.
Hobbs 61.28 after 50 tests

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs 61.28 after 50 tests
Sutcliffe 61.66 after 50 tests. Never went below 60, underrated af, 5 best century to match ratio (behind Bradman, Walcott, Smith, Pollock, Weekes.. Younis is actually next after Sutcliffe!)

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Just lists the best though. Also innings not matches. Like I said I knew Bradman would be top

Would be interesting to see a list. With like tons/half centuries etc also.

Cos in my opinion Root should have 20 tons. I reckon nobody apart from Bradman managed 17+ after 50 tests.

Would be interesting to see. Like I said you'd have to spend a while on statsguru to collate that info.

indiaholic

International Captain
That is just absurd. Concentrating over long periods of time day in and day out is a fundamental skill for a test batsman. Like many others he will have to learn how to fix that. Saying that he should have had 20 tons by now is honestly just bollocks.