• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst tails ever

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was watching Funky Miller hit his 43 against the Windies back in '99 and before he got going Hookes described the Australian tail as "4 blokes who should all be at 11"

to his credit he was barely exaggerating (I miss Hooksey, such fun commentary)

Adam Dale
Stuart MacGill
Funky Miller
Glen McGrath

I found this especially funny because around this time you had players like Warne, Reiffel, Dizzy, Bichel and Lee hovering around the team and they were generally solid batsmen with only McGrath being constantly hapless thru the era. Can see why they didn't want to stick with this set up for too long

What are some other terrible tails like this?

I feel if Mullally, Tufnell and Malcolm ever played a test together they'd be a shout

Last edited:

mr_mister

I don't even know who Giddens is but if he's bad enough to push up Mullally and Tuffers he must be crap

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's even more laughable is comparing it to NZ's no.s 8-10 in that match of Cairns, Nash & Vettori.

Julian87

State Captain
That's a shocker in the OP. From memory though Adam Dale had a fairly sound technique without being a big hitter. Not good enough to be a #8 at that level but not hopeless.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When Pakistan toured here in 2010 they had an 18-year old Amir at 8 followed by Gul, Kaneria/Ajmal and Asif. Essentialy two #10s and two #11s. Amusingly they out-performed the top six in the first two tests

~

Another: England's Headingley 2009 tail of Swann, Harmison, Anderson, Onions looks pretty ordinary but with Stuart Broad coming in at 7... yeah

Last edited:

morgieb

England's bottom six in the last two Ashes Tests back in 2006/07 was Flintoff, Read, Mahmood, Hoggard/Anderson, Harmison, Panesar....that's pretty tripe.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
I remember in the 2000s South Australia had a horrible tail.
They had 5 real no.11s in Paul Rofe, Peter McIntyre, Mark Harrity, Shaun Tait and Paul Wilson.:-O

Burgey

CBF to look up their batting records, but a couple which spring to mind would be Indias with the spin quartet of Bedi, Prasanna, Venkat and Chandra. Also Australia mid 80s if the likes of Dave Gilbert, Merv Hughes (pre '88), Bruce Reid and Dutchy Holland all played together

fredfertang

England's bottom six in the last two Ashes Tests back in 2006/07 was Flintoff, Read, Mahmood, Hoggard/Anderson, Harmison, Panesar....that's pretty tripe.
**** that is grim - for some reason at the time I wondered why we lost 5-0 - looking back we did well to get nil

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
CBF to look up their batting records, but a couple which spring to mind would be Indias with the spin quartet of Bedi, Prasanna, Venkat and Chandra. Also Australia mid 80s if the likes of Dave Gilbert, Merv Hughes (pre '88), Bruce Reid and Dutchy Holland all played together
Worst Oz tail was surely in the 1978-9 Ashes series (during WSC): Maclean, Hogg, Dymock, Hurst, Higgs.

Last edited: