• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst tails ever

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jim Higgs is the only test player I've seen given not out when he gloved a short one on the basis it was unfairly intimidatory. The bouncer was bowled by Lance Cairns ffs. The bloke seriously didn't know which end of a bat to hold.

Shady Slim

International Coach
sri lanka have had a pretty mediocre tail for everyone not named his roundness lately, they've normally either been stacked with useless tailenders from around nine down like lakmal or stacked with mediocre nonrounders from six down like thisara perera

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jim Higgs is the only test player I've seen given not out when he gloved a short one on the basis it was unfairly intimidatory. The bouncer was bowled by Lance Cairns ffs. The bloke seriously didn't know which end of a bat to hold.
Given big Lance was never any more express than about 127 kms, that's saying a lot.

burr

State Vice-Captain
India and England seem to have killed off the tail. Australia's on the other hand is quite long.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Only if you agree that they had 12 better batsman than Border at the time.
And Hughes.
It was about their 2nd and a half wasn't it?

Perhaps those two would have been with Packer if WSC had happened 12 months later.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Him and McGrath at 11 were often paired and on a surprising number of occassions, McGrath would outscore him when Pigeon got out! But he was very good at being the not out batsman in the end of it all...
In fact I can remember Dizzy was with McGrath on 3 occassions when Pigeon passed his highest score. McGrath got out on those 3 occassions, but Gillespie had scored less than him each of these times.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Amazing that not one NZ tail has been offered, and actually I can't remember any horrendous ones. O'Brien/Martin was a pretty unco 10-11 through the 2008-2012 sort of period, although both always sold their wicket with a high price - which couldn't be said for Southee and Patel above them.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Amazing that not one NZ tail has been offered, and actually I can't remember any horrendous ones. O'Brien/Martin was a pretty unco 10-11 through the 2008-2012 sort of period, although both always sold their wicket with a high price - which couldn't be said for Southee and Patel above them.
In Simon Doull's first test (Zimbabwe 1992-93) 7-11 were D Patel, Su'a, Doull, Haslam, Watson. Doull became a decent no.9 but back then he was a 10 and a half at best....

The kiwi selectors saw the error of their ways... come Doull's 2nd test match (Australia at Hobart), and the 8-11 were Su'a, Morrison (at 9!!!), Doull and de Gron. Throw in Patel at 5, and Harris at 6. Easily the worst batting side I've seen NZ put out in my lifetime. Pocock, Greatbatch, Jones and Rutherford was hardly a stellar top 4 either. The whole side's combined average must have been about 220.

I heard Gus Fraser once interviewed and he said he was once picked to bat at number 8 for England. 6th test vs Australia 1993. Fraser, Watkin, Such, Malcolm. He did rise to the occasion with 28 and 13, but that tail is pretty hard to out-do.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Saha-Ishant-Shami-Bumrah-Umesh that India played for a couple of tests in SA and Aus. Definitely one of the weakest tails to have played for India.

The tails for WI have been bad since Lara's days.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
i think for the wtc finals, if india plays ishant - siraj - shami - bumrah
I don't think this will happen again in the near future. Ash-Jaddu are going to play most of the tests together overseas as well post the success in Australia.