• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who were indisputably the best of their time

Bijed

International Regular
Basically, who can you think of who has been just flat-out better than everyone playing at the same time as them?

I'm not expecting to hear of a gulf like there was between Bradman and everyone else, but anyone head and shoulders above.the rest is a good answer assuming that they remained so for a reasonably extended period.

Question applies to batsmen and bowlers.

Edit: Sorry about the typo in the title

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Gary Sobers. Steyn among fast bowlers post McGrath retirement. The bias in me says Viv in the late 70s through the 80s but the best player in the 80s was undoubtedly Imran Khan. Also, I suppose Lillee was the undisputed best fast bowler of the 70s. Can't think of anyone else.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's actually not too many I can think of who were clearly the best of their time, certainly no modern players from the 80s forward, given they all had players close enough to them. In Warne's case, Murali, in Sachin's case, Lara and Ponting.

Probably the names mentioned so far of Bradman, Sobers & Grace are the obvious ones. Possibly Barnes as well.

Could Kallis be considered as being out on his own during his era since he was an ATG bat who just happened to take 290 odd wickets?

And Gilchrist as a keeper, prior to Sanga and AB taking the gloves?

Last edited:

Justo

U19 Debutant
I'd put McGrath in there from 2000-2007 when it comes to fast bowling. After the retirements of Donald, Akram, Ambrose and co you've basically got McGrath ahead of Gillespie and Pollock then a lot of guys who tend to be brilliant one series and poor the next.

Zinzan

I'd put McGrath in there from 2000-2007 when it comes to fast bowling. After the retirements of Donald, Akram, Ambrose and co you've basically got McGrath ahead of Gillespie and Pollock then a lot of guys who tend to be brilliant one series and poor the next.
You're stretching it making it a 7 year period given the likes of Akram & Donald didn't retire until around 2003/4 IIRC & did actually cross paths with McGrath for most of his career starting in 1993. Also factor, that period when they had retired 2004-07, I'm not sure McGrath was out on his own then was he? And if so, she's a pretty microscopic period.

Daemon

Steyn post McGrath. Anderson the closest to him but still a fair way off.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Gary Sobers. Steyn among fast bowlers post McGrath retirement. The bias in me says Viv in the late 70s through the 80s but the best player in the 80s was undoubtedly Imran Khan. Also, I suppose Lillee was the undisputed best fast bowler of the 70s. Can't think of anyone else.
With the great West Indian quartet arriving, 1974 onward?

morgieb

You're stretching it making it a 7 year period given the likes of Akram & Donald didn't retire until around 2003/4 IIRC & did actually cross paths with McGrath for most of his career starting in 1993. Also factor, that period when they had retired 2004-07, I'm not sure McGrath was out on his own then was he? And if so, she's a pretty microscopic period.
Last Tests in both cases were around 2001. And who else was there between 04-06 apart for McGrath?

Zinzan

Last Tests in both cases were around 2001. And who else was there between 04-06 apart for McGrath?
OK, I remember them both playing in the 2003 WC.

Now to the two year period between 2004-06, we're not really calling that an era are we? :p

Otherwise several others players we haven't yet mentioned are in the running. I got the impression from the OP we were looking at decent periods of time when players were out on their own.

smash84

The Tiger King
agreed, for the 70s it has to be Lillee. The only competition could be Michael holding but he was only starting to come into his own 76 onwards. Imran and Hadlee wouldn't hit their strides until 1979. Marshall came later. Roberts in the 70s was very good but not at Lillee level. Lillee a good shout