• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who were indisputably the best of their time

indiaholic

International Captain
Tendulkar had a very good record against WI, no? And I think Waugh's record wasn't particularly great against Pakistan. He was way better against the Saffers when compared to Lara and Tendulkar.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar had a very good record against WI, no? And I think Waugh's record wasn't particularly great against Pakistan. He was way better against the Saffers when compared to Lara and Tendulkar.
From 1993 onwards Waugh averaged 44 against Pakistan. His weakest but still pretty good, and in the same period Tendulkar only averaged 30.

For their West Indies records....Waugh averaged 64 (and 76 in the West Indies) and Tendulkar 58 (48 in WI).

vcs

Tendulkar's home record against SA was weak (he fixed it with a couple of centuries in 2010).

His knocks against them in Cape Town and Bloemfontein were absolute masterpieces and left no one in any doubt about his ability to handle that caliber of bowling.

indiaholic

International Captain
From 1993 onwards Waugh averaged 44 against Pakistan. His weakest but still pretty good, and in the same period Tendulkar only averaged 30.

For their West Indies records....Waugh averaged 64 (and 76 in the West Indies) and Tendulkar 58 (48 in WI).
Just checked.. Waugh had a bad tour in 1990, so that explains his 37 average during the 90s. And as for my Tendulkar question, turned out he just played 3 tests. One of them was the Chennai one, I will consider his bad average as the sacrifice he paid to play that. :p

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar's home record against SA was weak (he fixed it with a couple of centuries in 2010).

His knocks against them in Cape Town and Bloemfontein were absolute masterpieces and left no one in any doubt about his ability to handle that caliber of bowling.
Yeah, Tendulkar always did better against SA away than at home, which was a bit weird. He had one amazing innings vs Donald/Pollock at home though. The 97 at Mumbai in the 2000 series. Unbelievably good knock.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah, Tendulkar always did better against SA away than at home, which was a bit weird. He had one amazing innings vs Donald/Pollock at home though. The 97 at Mumbai in the 2000 series. Unbelievably good knock.
Had a decent one in the second innings after Steyn ****ed us up at Nagpur iirc.

vcs

Different format, but his WC 2011 knock against SA is one of my favourite Tendulkar innings. Hooked Steyn for 6, straight drove Morkel down the ground, came down the track to hit spinners. Vintage Tendulkar.

Slifer

International Captain
Still SRT was not indisputably better than S Waugh during the 90s, especially when u factor in their performances vs the better attacks. He was better than Lara though, won't argue that.

vcs

Tests, you could probably put Waugh ahead of the other two. ODIs taken into account, Sachin and Lara were better.

vcs

That's fair enough. It's the most important for sure. But in the context of this thread, I think all formats (that are available at the time obviously) should be considered for a player to be considered indisputably the best.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You're stretching it making it a 7 year period given the likes of Akram & Donald didn't retire until around 2003/4 IIRC & did actually cross paths with McGrath for most of his career starting in 1993. Also factor, that period when they had retired 2004-07, I'm not sure McGrath was out on his own then was he? And if so, she's a pretty microscopic period.
Akram and Donald were both pretty much finished by the turn of the century. McGrath was in a class of one up until his retirement.

TNT

Banned
Bradman in the 30s
Sobers in the 60s
Lillee in the 70s
Murali in the 00s
Ponting was voted the players of the 00's

Ricky Ponting has been voted Player of the Decade by an overwhelming majority by a jury comprising former and current players and cricket writers. Ponting got 60 points (a first-place vote fetched three points, a second place two, and third place one), 23 more than second-placed Jacques Kallis. Adam Gilchrist was ranked third (29 points), while positions four to seven went to Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath, Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne.
Ponting voted Player of the Decade | Decade Review 2009 | ESPN Cricinfo