• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the hook shot dying?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't see it being played that often in tests now do you? Is it because of the top edges from the better bats carrying easier to long/fine leg instead of falling safely into the gaps?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In the future, they realised hook shots were killing the game of cricket, so they sent a Terminator back to wipe it out before it started dominating the play book.

cnerd123

likes this
You don't see it being played that often in tests now do you? Is it because of the top edges from the better bats carrying easier to long/fine leg instead of falling safely into the gaps?
Pitches with pace and bounce that allow the ball to carry at that height without sitting up to be smashed aren't that common anymore. Now daywhen the ball gets that high it seems to only be on surfaces where the bounce is uneven, and batsman don't play cross batted strokes as much on an uneven pitch. The 'true' pitches tend to be slower and lower.

Also lots of people pulling on the front foot too, as opposted to rocking back and hooking it

Plus intense cricket schedules; fast bowlers not really willing to bend their back and bang it in for a whole innings. Batsmen just need to weather a breif short-ball storm before good length/full pitched bowling resumes.

These would be my guesses

indiaholic

International Captain
Think a lot of batsmen get their bats higher while in stance. It allows them to bring the bat down on the ball. Looks more like an overhand than a hook in boxing.

cnerd123

likes this
I like how it's all Indians talking about the Hook shot

Inb4 Burgey/Furball comment on how the ball doesn't bounce above knee height in India so what do we know about playing hooks

TheJediBrah

I don't think it's being played any less at all tbh

There might be less genuinely quick short bowling, and not as many bouncers as there used to be

vcs

Like the cover drive, it is a "make a statement" type shot that carries too much risk for too little reward.

Daemon

Like the cover drive, it is a "make a statement" type shot that carries too much risk for too little reward.
Haha what? Maybe against a swinging ball but cover drives are many players bread and butter.

Burgey

I like how it's all Indians talking about the Hook shot

Inb4 Burgey/Furball comment on how the ball doesn't bounce above knee height in India so what do we know about playing hooks
Thank you for saving me the effort of having to type that. Much obliged. But you left out the other important point of the ball not bouncing because the bowlers are all vegetarians.

Burgey

Exactly. Since Siddle started eating bananas exclusively, his pace has dropped and he averages 125kph.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Square drive > Cover drive. Especially ones that are slapped with disdain after getting down on the front foot.