• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Ian Chappell?

Do you like Ian Chappell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
People said he let the tailenders face too much strike so they could get out and he could get a not out and boost his average? I swear I remember that criticism of his batting. Didn't farm enough strike
You remembered right. The funniest thing is that he mentions the criticism multiple times in his books and it's a litany of 'Nah mate, I made so many tailenders better batsmen because I trusted them with the strike'.

Yeah, champ, that worked so well on Pidge. ****ing miracle he didn't write his books in red ink.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I have always been a fan of Chappell. As a captain, his style revolutionised cricket

Erudite commentator and I largely agree with view on how to play positive, aggressive cricket. Doesnt get over excited in commentary and doesnt waste time in stating the obvious. Another thing I respect from him is that he is non-partisan, he doesnt let being an Australian color his view unlike some of compatriots, listening to him you don't get an idea that he support any one team in particular, except the one that is playing more positive cricket or occasionally the underdog.

He seems like a straightforward bloke who says whats on his mind, with no agenda or trying to please who is listening.

Yes, he does sometimes gives views I dont agree with (like overrating Clarke as captain) but that is ok.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yeah Blewie played some snail like innings near the end of his career
Yeah, it was startling how much of a plodder he became in the final phase of his Test career in 1999-2000 as opener considering how much of a strokemaker he was at the start of his career.

That Brisbane innings (89 off 208) was one of his faster efforts. In a Melbourne Test later that summer when Australia had a massive lead and were looking to set a target, he scored 31 off 97. His final few innings in NZ were 17 off 64, 8 off 59, 0 off 9 and 25 off 114.

I guess he thought being a defensive opener in contrast to Slater was the way to go and tbf initially he had some success. But I think it was a mistake overall and finished off his career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Strong refugee advocate

"I wasn't proud of my own country" - Why Ian Chappell is embarrassed about Australia's treatment of refugees

ENOUGH ROPE with Andrew Denton - episode 123: Ian Chappell (02/10/2006)

ANDREW DENTON: Did it alarm you how easily large numbers of people were persuaded by, a scary prospect, of how powerfully fear could be used to turn public opinion?

IAN CHAPPELL: Yes, I mean, it probably was a surprise to me. But I think the thing that really influences people is to actually meet a refugee and to hear their story. I’ve had people come up to me and say, “I was a bit anti-refugees, but I’ve just heard that story and now I’m all in favour.” You hear the saying, “When someone’s talking you could hear a pin drop.” I don’t think I’d ever felt that situation or sensation until twice I’ve heard it with a refugee talking, and you really could hear a pin drop in that room. You can’t help but admire the people that, one, have the courage to get through all that, and then it must take a hell of a lot of courage again to actually get up and relive that by telling the story to people and the public. I’ve got nothing but admiration for them.

ANDREW DENTON: Recently there’s been new legislation, which ultimately was withdrawn, to process all asylum seekers offshore and outside the protection of Australian law. A number of Parliamentarians stood up and opposed that and it was withdrawn as a Bill. Did that give you heart, or do you think that the Australian ethos of ‘a fair go’ is gone?

IAN CHAPPELL: Yes, I mean I admired the people who showed the courage to actually cross the floor, or threatened to cross the floor. I think one of the things that’s, having got into this situation now for a few years or being involved in the situation for a few years, come to me is that I pretty well believe that for something to happen it’s really got to be people power. I think the politicians are only going to change things if it’s going to help them get more votes. If things are going to be changed, serious things are going to be changed, it’s going to take the people to get - what did that newsreader say? “I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore.”

ANDREW DENTON: Yes, yes.

IAN CHAPPELL: I think it’s, sort of, got to get to that point.

ANDREW DENTON: Are you still angry about how some policy is being conducted in Australia?

IAN CHAPPELL: Yes, I feel almost a bit guilty talking about what I’ve done because I’ve basically done nothing. The people who deal with it, those people who - when I went to Baxter there were people who were visiting those refugees from, not necessarily right in Port Augusta, some of them were coming from a fair way and they were doing that on a regular basis. Those are the sort of people that I admire and that’s why I say I feel a bit guilty talking about what I might have done. But I guess when I said that, they say, “Yes, but what you’re doing is important,” and I guess I learnt a long time ago that as a former Australian captain, you do have a louder voice than other people at times. So I figured, “Well, if I do have a slightly louder voice at times, then the best thing I can do is probably try and use it on behalf of somebody who probably has no voice at all.”

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
You remembered right. The funniest thing is that he mentions the criticism multiple times in his books and it's a litany of 'Nah mate, I made so many tailenders better batsmen because I trusted them with the strike'.

Yeah, champ, that worked so well on Pidge. ****ing miracle he didn't write his books in red ink.
Actually did, McGrath was averaging like 2 after 50 tests.

uvelocity

International Coach
steve waugh coached mcgrath in batting and did make him better. maybe he put too much trust, and maybe he was selfish. but it never did cost us a match. you know we only lost 9 tests in the 5 years of his captaincy.
we lost by 10 wickets in kingston.
we lost by only 1 wicket bridgetown. but in the first innings steve waugh was the 7th wicket, out for 199. interestingly lara won wi the match, with an unbeaten 153. walsh batting 11 faced 5 out of the last 10 balls :laugh:
we lost at kandy and that was partially steve waugh's fault, though i think headbutting dizzy in the knee isnt really a selfish thing
in kolkata we can see that steve waugh was selfish. in the first innings he was the last man out, scoring 110 before harbajan the **** took his 7th wicket of the innings. old bunny pigeon only managed 21 off 28! possibly outscoring waugh who took 22 less any sundries off 21 legal balls. laxman and dravid scored about a thousand runs in the second dig, waugh was out fourth and we lost by 171 runs. if only waugh had farmed the strike more!
in chennai it was close, and waugh did bat with the tail, being the 8th wicket to fall, but the closeness of the match was more about the fact we took 8 wickets in 40 overs in india's second innings.
the loss at durban, in our second innings waugh was again 8th out, having a 30 run partnership with brett lee. this match was about the other team though, saffers successfully chasing 340 - to this day the 13th highest successful 4th innings chase.
in sydney steve waugh scored his famous ton on the last ball of the second day, but it wasnt enough, the poms recording their only win against us with him as captain - by 225 runs, and steve never batted with the tail
in antigua, again steve waugh trusted pigeon, batting with him for 7.1 overs and allowing him 24 of the 43 balls. pigeon scored 14, waugh protected his average. we only set them 417 to win and still the biggest ever successful chase - oh the shame! selfish! red ink!
in radelaide, his final loss as captain, steve waugh didnt do much, and didnt bat with the tail.

besmirch him!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it was startling how much of a plodder he became in the final phase of his Test career in 1999-2000 as opener considering how much of a strokemaker he was at the start of his career.

That Brisbane innings (89 off 208) was one of his faster efforts. In a Melbourne Test later that summer when Australia had a massive lead and were looking to set a target, he scored 31 off 97. His final few innings in NZ were 17 off 64, 8 off 59, 0 off 9 and 25 off 114.

I guess he thought being a defensive opener in contrast to Slater was the way to go and tbf initially he had some success. But I think it was a mistake overall and finished off his career.
Nah Blewett was just incredibly out of form in the latter part of 99 and early 2000. Ironically he did get his form back and continued to dominate Aus domestic cricket for the next 5 or so years, but was never seriously that close to selection (except for a brief dalliance as an All-Rounder trying to get a place in the 2003 WC squad), despite playing regularly for Aus A.

steve waugh coached mcgrath in batting and did make him better. maybe he put too much trust, and maybe he was selfish. but it never did cost us a match. you know we only lost 9 tests in the 5 years of his captaincy.
we lost by 10 wickets in kingston.
we lost by only 1 wicket bridgetown. but in the first innings steve waugh was the 7th wicket, out for 199. interestingly lara won wi the match, with an unbeaten 153. walsh batting 11 faced 5 out of the last 10 balls :laugh:
we lost at kandy and that was partially steve waugh's fault, though i think headbutting dizzy in the knee isnt really a selfish thing
in kolkata we can see that steve waugh was selfish. in the first innings he was the last man out, scoring 110 before harbajan the **** took his 7th wicket of the innings. old bunny pigeon only managed 21 off 28! possibly outscoring waugh who took 22 less any sundries off 21 legal balls. laxman and dravid scored about a thousand runs in the second dig, waugh was out fourth and we lost by 171 runs. if only waugh had farmed the strike more!
in chennai it was close, and waugh did bat with the tail, being the 8th wicket to fall, but the closeness of the match was more about the fact we took 8 wickets in 40 overs in india's second innings.
the loss at durban, in our second innings waugh was again 8th out, having a 30 run partnership with brett lee. this match was about the other team though, saffers successfully chasing 340 - to this day the 13th highest successful 4th innings chase.
in sydney steve waugh scored his famous ton on the last ball of the second day, but it wasnt enough, the poms recording their only win against us with him as captain - by 225 runs, and steve never batted with the tail
in antigua, again steve waugh trusted pigeon, batting with him for 7.1 overs and allowing him 24 of the 43 balls. pigeon scored 14, waugh protected his average. we only set them 417 to win and still the biggest ever successful chase - oh the shame! selfish! red ink!
in radelaide, his final loss as captain, steve waugh didnt do much, and didnt bat with the tail.

besmirch him!
brilliant post

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
I like Chappell's social views and the fact he recognises Botham is dire but I don't like him as a commentator. Also, he needs to spread himself less thinly. C9, ESPN, Macquarie Radio, make people miss you man. Also, I'm no Steve Waugh devotee but his comments on him being a selfish cricketer are such rubbish. If you hear people like Langer and Martyn talk they consistently state it's that faith Waugh put in them that reinvigorated the second half of their careers. That kind of care and attention to your teammates' personal success is the opposite of selfish.