• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Ian Chappell?

Do you like Ian Chappell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always love listening to this from time to time. The nervous groan that goes through the crowd when he calls Boycott "a selfish bastard" without missing a beat is amazing.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
all rubbish really

If Boycott felt more comfortable batting slow so be it

not everyone can turn it on like Sobers and Viv

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very mixed on him. He can sometimes provide genuine insight in the combox, which, in an environment where everyone else is doing the matey matey shtick, is a welcome change. He's a grumpy old man, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it can be entertaining to listen to. But, yeah, he can be annoying and flat out stupid too, like when he called this lbw decision "marginal" justifying it with the "the shot was bad so he should be out" logic. Stuff like that shows a stubbornnness which I can't stomach and find much more annoying than his comments on Waugh/Bradman etc.

yeah wtf at both Tony and Ian there, they seem like they're delusional. Missing off stump by miles

Saddest thing about that is Blewett's test career went on a huge nosedive after that. He never again scored a 100 and he looked likely to get one there

anil1405

International Captain
So is it safe to say that Ian is a top notch analyst of the game when he is purely talking cricket but turns out to be a ***** (insert your own) of sorts when he gets to talk about players involved in the game?

Burgey

He's probably just very set in his ways.

He's a complex bloke. Very old school re cricket but quite progressive on a lot of social issues.

TheJediBrah

Not delaying declarations and going for the glory tactics are just as selfish as playing for personal milestones tbh. The guys who only want the team to win will always be able to get the balance right. Captaincy glory is no different to any other personal milestone glory as far as I am concerned. What I mean is, it is one thing to declare when you think you have a reasonable chance of winning. Quite another to declare coz you are known for funky declarations and want to keep up that image.
**** this is a terrible post

Are you actually saying that you think Clarke ever, in any way deliberately declared early to keep up his image? or for "selfish" reasons?

Mind-blowingly absurd

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I have a love-hate relationship with Chappelli. I think he's the best comm on C9 to listen to most of the time, because he actually watches cricket and knows what he's talking about sometimes. But yeah, he's a massive wanker who's spent the last 30 years in a cushy commentary job criticising coaches and captains from afar, and never gotten in and tried to improve Australian cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
**** this is a terrible post

Are you actually saying that you think Clarke ever, in any way deliberately declared early to keep up his image? or for "selfish" reasons?

Mind-blowingly absurd

Yeah.. facts do seem to feel that way to you from time to time. :p

TheJediBrah

Yeah.. facts do seem to feel that way to you from time to time. :p
Yeah it was so selfish of Clarke to declare when he was on 329 not out with 2 days left to play to ensure a Test win for his country in a series they were already 2-0 up in.

You've picked pretty much the most unselfish captain in the history of the game to name. Even for you this was pretty dire mate.

Bijed

International Regular
From my limited exposure to Chappell I've quite enjoyed listening to him, but I gather a fair few people don't. Is he the type best enjoyed in small doses?

Last edited: