• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are there many overweight cricketers who were top class or even an ATG?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Part of the reason for Sir Beefy's rapid decline was his turning into a chunker - also honourable mentions for Gus Fraser and Mike Gatting - both enormous now, and big lads then

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis definitely had a bit of extra weight on him, though I'm not sure about his younger days.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm stretching the defintion of "top class" as far as the elastic on his waistband, but no discussion of cricketing trenchermen can be fully complete, or, as the man himself rarely was, completely full, without a nod to England's Ian "Bunny" Austin:

picgal24.jpg

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The county circuit was littered with rotund cricketers, and they're still present (cough, Northants). I do not know if they would qualify as 'top class' - some of them were at county level. It was part of the boozy amateur culture really before the emphasis on fitness levels and professionalism.

Blame Kerry Packer.