• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do young foreign batsmen keep doing well when they first tour India?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just thinking about the good performances of Hameed and Jennings in this current series between India and England and the truth is they aren't the first young batsmen to go to India for the first time and do well are they?

Williamson= Scored a ton in his first tour there?

Cook= Did he too score a ton there aswell when he flew in from the Caribbean?

Root= Done very well there on debut

Darren Bravo= Scored back to back tons there

Steve Smith= I remember in the midst of the thrashing Aus got there under Micky Arthur he really did stand firm in I think was the last test? And perhaps that was the start of his brilliant form since then

I'm not sure about how well other class batsmen did in their first tours of India but the questions I have is is this simply a matter of the pitches being good to bat on? And how do the stats compare in the other test nations when it pertains to young batsmen touring there for the first time?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Confirmation bias? What about Duckett, Stiaan van Zyl, or Dane Vilas, for example? And numerous other guys we've undoubtedly forgotten about, because they were a bit crap.

Not writing off Duckett after two games BTW, who knows he might even turn out better than Hameed or Jennings.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
India aren't weak at home though.
Hmmm, I think that is pretty debatable. Like the other minnow nations, they do turn it on every now and again, but there's usually very little substance beneath their temporary good form. Teams don't fear going to India.

listento_me

U19 Captain
They aren't just batsmen on tour, they are good batsmen so of course, on flatter pitches it's easier to score. Return tours can get harder as teams start to figure the batsman out and greater expectations play on their minds.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
You can add Clarke and Matt Hayden to that list too.

Edit: Wait... you said young.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So how does it compare with those batsmen touring other nations for the first time then? Because I remember Kohli first coming to the Caribbean and he wasn't good at all. Williamson the same...Smith and Root done well though.
11 posts, that must've been some restraint.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian bowling & fielding is usually mediocre, plus pitches tend to be great to bat on.. the first 2-3 days. So decent younger batsmen tend to do well!

(India has historically won at home on back of strong batting coupled with spin later in the match.)

NZTailender

I started this thread and talked about other conditions...Just saying what I saw of Kohli and actually Vijay aswell when they first toured the Caribbean.
The conditions of fortress India which is a tough place to tour, historically.

West Indies, on the other hand, have won about 4 series of their last 15 at home. It's a doddle and hardly worth mentioning as a Test for young touring batsmen.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The conditions of fortress India which is a tough place to tour, historically.

West Indies, on the other hand, have won about 4 series of their last 15 at home. It's a doddle and hardly worth mentioning as a Test for young touring batsmen.
I'm not saying the Caribbean is harder to tour than India, it clear isn't right now. BUT, I haven't seen too many young batsmen come and do well regularly as I have seen when they tour India. I'm happy to be proven wrong though if people want to produce the stats of other conditions.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When a lot of young batsmen come into a test side they bat at number six. Very often they don't get a hit in the West Indies.

NZTailender

How young is young?

Since 2000, these players, aged 25 or younger, averaged over 40 in their first series in India.
DM Bravo
MJ Clarke
AN Cook
AB de Villiers
DB Ebrahim
TJ Friend
H Hameed
KK Jennings*
TD Paine
JE Root
MN Samuels
SPD Smith