• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do young foreign batsmen keep doing well when they first tour India?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Players who had an OK time (30-40)

AB Barath
KC Brathwaite
CH Gayle
Kamran Akmal
TWM Latham
BAW Mendis
RJ Peterson
KP Pietersen
GC Smith
MA Starc

NZTailender

Players who had an average to maybe OK time (20-30)

Abdul Razzaq*
T Bavuma
IR Bell
MV Boucher
Faisal iqbal
MJ Guptill
AD Mathews
J Mubarak
KO Powell
MJ Santner
RR Sarwan
T Southee
Taufeeq Umar
WU Tharanga
DP Viljoen
CL White
Yasir Arafat

*Could've actually been aged 40

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should do a list of batsmen who have come to Australia and not done well, because all the pitches here are roads and anyone can score runs on them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
sledger's nowhere near as good as he was 5 years ago hey? Just fallen away in effectiveness.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
should retire then. Its ironic that he himself is like Tendulkar, going on too long.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
should retire then. Its ironic that he himself is like Tendulkar, going on too long.
I know how he feels. These days the only reason I hang around here is my eager anticipation of the next startling and illuminating revelation in a listento_me post on captaincy or cricketers who shaped him (into studying at a hospital); or so I can get tips on how to deal with contrary posters from ***** in site discussion.

It's quite a fall from grace.

NZTailender

Recognised batsmen, WK and all-rounders who just plain hell ass sucked (<20)

HM Amla (13.00)
JM Bairstow (9.00)
BM Duckett (6.00)
JP Duminy (5.00)
A Flintoff (5.20)
JS Foster (19.20)
RO Hinds (8.50)
PJ Hughes (18.37)
GJ Maxwell (9.75)
HM Nicholls (12.50)
JL Ontong (16.00)
JDP Oram (6.00)
GJ Rennie (17.25)
JA Rudolph (16.50)
Salman Butt (5.00)
Shoaib Malik (5.50)
T Taibu (6.00)
Thami Tsolekile (8.33)
MS Wade (18.83)
BJ Watling (8.00)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
NZTailender well done sir!!!..those are the sort of stats I was looking for. Surprised to see Barath's name on there although I do remember him and an 18 year old Brathwaite sharing a 130 opening partnership in one of the tests in India which I think is a record for biggest score by two young batters as Barath was only 21 at the time or something like that.

But yeah I really think young 25 and under batsmen seem to have a good first tour in India more than anywhere else right now. I'd imagine England and SA would be the toughest.

indiaholic

International Captain
Among the modern batsmen, I think GC Smith, ABDV, Cook, Root, Ballance, Son of Rahul and Latham had very good series in WI when they were quite young..

NZTailender

listento_me

U19 Captain
how many young test batsmen, making their debuts in Australia have done well? Not including aussie batsmen ofc

who has been the best?

NZTailender

how many young test batsmen, making their debuts in Australia have done well? Not including aussie batsmen ofc

who has been the best?
Making their actual test debut in Australia, or their debut series?

If the former, the only people to make 50+ scores on debut in Aus since 2000 are Lou Vincent, Adrian Barath and JP Duminy. If you take it back to 1990, Craig McMillan is added to that list. (note: aged 25 or younger).