• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG players who were terrible fielders?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heard Imran Khan being described as a pretty ordinary fielder.

Glenn McGrath started off bloody ordinary, and ended up being serviceable.
Imran wasn't bad but didnt expend too much energy chasing the ball

Pretty understandable as he ran in from about 40 metres when bowling and didnt get to take a break at fine leg as he needed to be in the ring as captain

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
I don't remember anything too fondly about Dizzy Gillespie out in the field, although tbf, he missed a lot of games through injury. I only remember him as an outfielder and there weren't any memorable outfield catches or even saves by him.

viriya

International Captain
Obvious one.....Murali
Murali probably turned into an ordinary fielder in his latter years. I remember him taking some brilliant catches in the outfield in the '90s. I guess his throwing arm would always have been problematic due to the elbow defect.
Murali was one of SL's best outfielders.. not sure where this idea came from.

viriya

International Captain
In b4 Virat Kohli at slip
Since kohli is already an Odi ATG he is an obvious pick.

Right now he tops the test batting current ratings while also being rated the worst current fielder (after 3 drops in the last test). ~30% drop rate which is on the high end.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't remember anything too fondly about Dizzy Gillespie out in the field, although tbf, he missed a lot of games through injury. I only remember him as an outfielder and there weren't any memorable outfield catches or even saves by him.
When it comes to Dizzy and his fielding it is hard to think of anything but the sicking collision with Steve Waugh. I guess the second image that pops into my head is him ambling after the ball, like he was at training.

listento_me

U19 Captain
someone mentioned the turbinator, I gotta agree. He looked so old fashioned with his ground fielding at times but I have distinct memories of him actually improving with age.

Speaking of age, up until recently, Misbah was a damn good fielder.

Bijed

International Regular
Whilst I think he ended up being alright, Pietersen was never the greatest fielder. Didn't he drop 6/6 chances in his debut series? In fairness, I might be judging him harshly overall because of that, but on all the highlights I've got on DVD there seems to be at least one quite bad misfield from him per match.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
When it comes to Dizzy and his fielding it is hard to think of anything but the sicking collision with Steve Waugh. I guess the second image that pops into my head is him ambling after the ball, like he was at training.
He missed other games through injuries before that too, but that does stand out, but for the sake of the topic and the fact he played in an ATG team he's a name I mentioned.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Agree on Ambrose – incredibly lazy at times in the field when Windies toured Oz in 1996/97.

And Slater was pretty bad, one of the very few weak fielders in a generally outstanding Oz fielding side of the late 90s/early 00s. Don’t remember much of Martyn as a fielder; think he did his job.

While not an ATG, in terms of quality Oz Test players over the past few decades probably the worst was MacGill. When McGrath took his hat-trick, it was amazing that Macgill was actually in the slips cordon and not surprising he almost messed up the Lara catch.

Seen McGrath mentioned a few times here and tbh thought he was pretty good all things considered. In terms of fast bowling teammates I’d rate him ahead of Gillespie.
MacGill.
He can't field and he can't bat.
He showed more application with the bat than he did in the field, at least for NSW in the former category.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Whilst I think he ended up being alright, Pietersen was never the greatest fielder. Didn't he drop 6/6 chances in his debut series? In fairness, I might be judging him harshly overall because of that, but on all the highlights I've got on DVD there seems to be at least one quite bad misfield from him per match.
Hearing him talk in the Big Bash as a commentator about his distaste for fielding was eye-opening in its frankness, and would have been horrific to hear as a past or present team-mate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Think KP was a good ground fielder before all his knee injuries. Never seemed the best catcher. Seemed to have hard hands and went at the ball, not the best way to take lots of catches, esp. in England.

Kirkut

International Regular
Wasim and Waqar were ordinary fielders. Great fast bowlers but terrible at diving or trying to stop the ball from reaching boundary.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali was one of SL's best outfielders.. not sure where this idea came from.
Every single match I saw Murali play his fielding was diabolical. He misfielded constantly, ran all over the place making meals out of simple catches and just being all-round terrible.

I didn't see his earlier career, but anything after 2003 he was possibly the worst professional cricketer fielder I've seen in my life

Someone mentioned Jason Gillespie earlier too, that's a good one. He was ****